Claude's "Super Heresy" from Frankensmurfs

DizRotus

• 1 month later...

The rough assembly is done. I need some router accessories before I can rout out the motorboards.  

I was leaning toward the K76 over the APT50, but the laws of physics have made the decision for me. As can be seen by the photo of the components face down on a motorboard,  there is no room for any of the APT50 horns.  The only readily available alternative to the K76 is a K77 or the Bob Crites tweeters using the same horn profile.  Since I have Crites titanium diaphragms for the K76s, I feel good about using those. 

Now I know why the H2s & H3s with front mounted horns and woofer require a cutout on the squawker horn to accommodate the woofer.  There's just not enough surface area on the motorboard without it.  I must admit, I always preferred the look of H1s with the metal horns, but I'm sure the new and "improved"  plastic counterparts will sound spectacular.  Right Claude, @ClaudeJ1?

IMG_0246.JPG

heresy1.jpg

1099317-legendary-klipsch-heresy-ii-speakers.jpg

Apparently, I had a brain cramp about titanium midrange diaphragms from Bob Crites.  He sent an email advising he never had any such things.  It's just as well, now I can keep the squawker drivers as is and not wonder what I'm missing.

Not as much progress as hoped for.  The photo shows the rear (left) and the front  (right), as well as two sides,  Before using the router to cut the non-circular holes in the motorboards, I need to make a pattern to guide the router.

IMG_0342 (Mobile).JPG

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I like the fact that you used a radius router bit everywhere on this box........"smooth move" on your part!

Am I correct in assuming you will use black Silicone to seal between the tweeter and mid horns? No leaks allowed in the box except the port.

There will be no leaks @ClaudeJ1

The cutout shown in the photo was necessary to front mount the horns without removing the drivers. A motorboard sub-assembly and gasket behind the horns anchors the horns and precludes leaks.  That will be supplemented by black silicone, if necessary, after the completed box is pressure tested for leaks.  The system would not lend itself to production, but is more elegant than a production friendly process.  Such is the nature and potential of well thought out DIY.  There will be no leaks, which can't be said of a typical Heresy box, which lacks a gasket under the back board.

• Like 2

Years ago I asked a Klipsch representative whether a Heresy without a gasket seal under the back board was truly a "sealed" enclosure.  The paraphrased response was, "it's sealed enough."  These boxes will be sealed in fact, not merely "enough." @ClaudeJ1  I've built many speakers . . .  not today, but many times over the decades,