Center for RB-5s???

SilverSport

24 minutes ago, silversport said:

IIRC the RF-5 uses something from the RF-7 (horn, lens ???) that I do not believe the RB-5 uses...but that's why I'm asking here...would like to zero in on the answer...thanks guys so far for the input

Bill

I am not sure what that would be but my guess is that the RC-3 is similar to the RB-5s, if not all 3 (RF-5) close to identical. I believe the RF-5 had a larger horn, but same size compression driver as the other 2 mentioned. Regardless a mix-n-match with those speakers would work great. Fwiw, I've used RF-3s as surround sounds with my sig below and loved it! Notice we are also using RB-5s for heights and they blend seamlessly as well. 

I'm using an RC-7 with my RF-3s, simply because the 3 left me wanting more. I have RB-5s in the same set up and still prefer the 7. There are no timbre matching issues - in fact I think the soundstage has improved since adding the 7.

3 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I'm using an RC-7 with my RF-3s, simply because the 3 left me wanting more. I have RB-5s in the same set up and still prefer the 7. There are no timbre matching issues - in fact I think the soundstage has improved since adding the 7.

Yep. Noticed the same when I temporarily put an RC-7 between my RF-3s--The difference in SQ was immediately apparent across that front soundstage...That said, at surround duty the RF-3s played really well with RF-7s/RC-7 and RB-75s. 

6 hours ago, Youthman said:

I was thinking the RF5 was paired with RC7.  If so, wouldn't the RB5 use the same?

The RB-5s and RF-3s and RC-3s were introduced in 1999 and produced until 2001 and were part of the voice-matched set. The RF-5s seemed to be a compromise between the RF-3 and RF-7, with a larger horn than the former, but a smaller compression driver than the RF-7s RB-75s or RC-7. Imo, the RC-3 would work with the RF-5s, but most people would prefer the RC-7 and more than likely would then want to upgrade their mains to RF-7s after hearing the difference. B)

The RF-5"s (IMO) sound almost identical to my RC-7's, think its the horn and higher quality crossover parts that make the difference. I even swapped horns and drivers as a test and could not tell a difference by that alone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

The RF-5"s (IMO) sound almost identical to my RC-7's, think its the horn and higher quality crossover parts that make the difference. I even swapped horns and drivers as a test and could not tell a difference by that alone.

Are you talking about running RC-7s as Mains in a 2 channel configuration, compared to RF-5s? 

3 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Are you talking about running RC-7s as Mains in a 2 channel configuration, compared to RF-5s? 

Yes. I was running 3 RC-7's as an L C R in my room until a pair of RF-5's came up for sale close to me. I've had several pairs of the RF-3's and honestly was not impressed with them at all and was curious how the 5's would compare. Surprisingly the 5's sound very close to the RC-7's but with a tad smoother overall sound and better bass. I actually prefer the 5's over the RF-7 II's I had recently.

I've commented in other threads and may have even started my own at one point about the RF-3 / RF-5 / RC-7 comparisons I've made. I recently had a pair of RF-3's and as an experiment had the crossovers rebuilt with quality parts to see how much of the difference was in the cheap parts. The RF-3's gained quite a bit of ground with the crossover rebuild but still didn't quite have as big or open as a sound as the 5's and when the volume was pushed at all the bass fell apart on the 3's. The 5's are hands down significantly better than the 3's and on par with the RC-7 / RF-7. 

I guess to answer the OP's question I believe the RC-3 was the designated center for the RB-5's but the RC-7 would be a nice upgrade and still match up just fine although once your have an RC-7 you might end up with 3 like I did. The RC-7's are in my opinion superior to the RB-75's, greater inner detail and better quality  / more bass. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The 5's are hands down significantly better than the 3's and on par with the RC-7 / RF-7.

I realize all of our experiences are different but I own the RF-3s and RF-7s and brought the RF-5s home. I took them (RF-5s)  back because I thought they compared more with the RF-3s but weren't a substantial upgrade. The RF-7s blew them away both in upper end clarity and lower end performance. That said, all 3 speakers were great at their price point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The RC-7's are in my opinion superior to the RB-75's, greater inner detail and better quality  / more bass. 

I find this surprising. Way back when I followed forum member M00N who was experimenting and asking questions about using RC-7s up front and learned a lot. The tapered design of the RC-7 means that the second LF driver doesn't kick in until a certain frequency as to make dialog cleaner. Insofar as cleaner detail, I found the RC-7 to be cleaner than the THX series and would think it would be on par with the RB-75s because of the similar horn. Of course, if you actually tried it in your own setup and preferred the RC-7s I can dig it. :emotion-21:

I appreciate the responses...it seems that the RC-7 would be a great center but I think the added expense may not be worth it for me...since the RC-3 was the center designed to compliment the RB-5s (when used in a Home Theater) that will probably be the route I go unless I switch up the left and right Mains and use my KLF-C7...

Thanks for the information provided

Bill

33 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

The tapered design of the RC-7 means that the second LF driver doesn't kick in until a certain frequency as to make dialog cleaner. Insofar as cleaner detail, I found the RC-7 to be cleaner than the THX series and would think it would be on par with the RB-75s because of the similar horn. Of course, if you actually tried it in your own setup and preferred the RC-7s I can dig it. :emotion-21:

I believe the tapered array cuts off one of the woofers at a lower frequency but both play from the very bottom of the rated frequency response, one woofer plays 45-550 and the other 45-1800 or where ever the horn takes over can't remember right now.

I had the 75's next to the RC-7's and they just sounded too "smoothed over" to my taste. Nice big sound and step up from the RB-81 II's I had but just not as crisp or detailed as the RC-7's.

9 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Really?  Wow.  That's quite a compliment.  I may have to try that sometime.

Yes, I think they are quite a bit better personally and really size wise not a lot bigger. The RC-7's also have tower speaker like bass in my little bedroom (13x14) that is very tight and detailed, significantly better bass than any of the Heresy speakers I have.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I realize all of our experiences are different but I own the RF-3s and RF-7s and brought the RF-5s home. I took them (RF-5s)  back because I thought they compared more with the RF-3s but weren't a substantial upgrade. The RF-7s blew them away both in upper end clarity and lower end performance.

I could not agree more.  A lot of guys rave over the RB-5 and RF-5.  Although they are good, neither really have that wow factor.  The RF-7 and RF-7ii do.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, silversport said:

it seems that the RC-7 would be a great center but I think the added expense may not be worth it for me...since the RC-3 was the center designed to compliment the RB-5s

IMO, the RC-7 is a huge upgrade from the RC-3.  You can get an RC-3 for $100 - $150 and an RC-7 between $200 - $350.  I paid $200 for mine when I had it.  Deals are out there, you just have to be patient.  I personally believe it's totally worth the wait but the RC-3 are so common that it wouldn't hurt to buy one in the meantime until a good deal on an RC-7 came around.  If you are able to buy an RC-7 for a good deal, bring it home and compare it yourself.  If you don't feel that it's a significant upgrade, sell it and you aren't out anything.

• Like 2