La Scala Splits Restoration

Maximus89

Didn't someone mentioned that the La Scala residential speakers don't have fuses but the commercial ones do? Just cut the wires off of the fuse holders & solder them together... A soldering iron is $10 +/-... If you've never soldered a youtube video will teach you in minutes...  just my .02 20170819_182820_001_resized.thumb.jpg.994c6c4565164e06123b1d835db43759.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the right fuse cap from Jameco Electronics.   It just has a little piece of metal that you need to push out for the fuse to fit all th way and then it goes into the fuse holder in the LS just right.

Next up.  1 bad k-77 tweeter.  Are there different versions of the k-77 out there?  How do i know which exact one to replace my current one and i assume i just have to order off ebay based on trust that it has the original diaphragm and not some after knock off?

I REALLY hate to say this, but....i'm just really not enjoying these 89 LSi's ever since i heard my pal Craig's 89 LS but with DeanG(If his name is Dean Wescott, where did the G come from?) crossovers.  When i heard his LS next to mine, mine sounded like the tweeters barely had any sound other than white noise(?) coming out and the mid's sounded like the singer was singing while covering their mouth while his LS sounded like the singer removed the hands from their mouth and everything was clear and the tweeters were crystal clear as well(i never even knew the tweeters could have that much sound coming from them, even from my CII which i only hear little cymbals and more noise) . 

His LS ruined me.  I  can't shake it off and just enjoy my LSi ever since.   Today, i listened to my Chorus II again and while the soundstage is smaller, i thoroughly enjoy listening to them.  I'm no audiophile and very new to all of this, so i'm not saying the CII is better than the LS, but my CII are better than these LSi with stock 89 AL crossovers.    
Is the AL crossover really THAT bad that i can't enjoy it or is it b/c the caps are in need of replacement/upgrade or is it b/c my ears heard what a custom crossover upgrade can do for the same speaker with the same parts other than mine having the K43 driver? Placebo/Nocebo effect?

As of now, i'd have to sell the Chorus II to fund 2 pairs of crossover upgrades for 4 LSi and i'm not sure i want to do that. There's so many directions to go in and i'm currently lost.  For my smaller space, sell all 4 LSi and Chorus II to fund Forte III's?  Never even heard them before and the interest(other than aesthetics) is based off of a few posters here who say they loved them more than the KHorns( are they homers? Or legit?).  I've only heard KHorns with Deans crossovers and they were amazing so i'm curious about the FIII fans POV.  I've read about K510's for Jubescala set up, but i dont want to go active xover and i on't even know the price or availability of the k510.

What to do, what to do?

• Like 1

Borrow your friends DeanG crossovers to try on your La Scala & see if that is the model that makes them sing in your listening room 

Although my La Scala are highly modified - I found similar listening issues - so I custom made my crossovers to suit my speakers, equipment and room dynamics 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I REALLY hate to say this, but....i'm just really not enjoying these 89 LSi's ever since i heard my pal Craig's 89 LS but with DeanG(If his name is Dean Wescott, where did the G come from?) crossovers.  When i heard his LS next to mine, mine sounded like the tweeters barely had any sound other than white noise(?) coming out and the mid's sounded like the singer was singing while covering their mouth while his LS sounded like the singer removed the hands from their mouth and everything was clear and the tweeters were crystal clear as well(i never even knew the tweeters could have that much sound coming from them, even from my CII which i only hear little cymbals and more noise) . 

Three days ago you posted that one of your K-77 tweeters is bad. That sounds like it's probably the reason that you're hearing white noise coming out of it.

2 hours ago, Davecv41 said:

Three days ago you posted that one of your K-77 tweeters is bad. That sounds like it's probably the reason that you're hearing white noise coming out of it.

That's for one of the ones I'm usIng as surrounds. I'm talking about the front for 2ch music

i have 4 total LSi splits from 89 with AL xovers in a quad set up

12 hours ago, Full Range said:

Borrow your friends DeanG crossovers to try on your La Scala & see if that is the model that makes them sing in your listening room 

Although my La Scala are highly modified - I found similar listening issues - so I custom made my crossovers to suit my speakers, equipment and room dynamics 

I missed 2 opportunities to buy used AA's with the idea that i could send both pairs to Al and he could turn them into Super AA's for $99/pair but i was scared away by his note that he has the right to reject based on condition of the used AA.   Both pairs that were on eBay looked too old already so i didn't want to take the chance.  I figured a $400 investment(plus selling the AL's) for 2 pairs of xovers is better than paying $400+ for 1 pair of xovers.  Maybe i'm wrong and a higher quality custom xover for my 2ch LSi is better for now and then later when i can afford, i'll get the same into my surround LSi's(1 of which has a bad tweeter anyway..i have a simply speakers.com replacement diaphragm but i'm not sure if that will sound right or i should find an original k-77.)

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2017 at 7:33 PM, MookieStl said:

Kappa 15c. $100 each at Parts Express. Many here have tried it and like it very much. Claude has been touting it for several years now. I would say it is equal to the K33 and handles a little more power just like the k43. I currently run 4 sets of speakers  (2 Belle, 2 LS) utilizing 4 different pairs of woofers, K33s, K43s, Crites cast frames and the Kappa 15c s each driving one set. I like them all and would be hard pressed to give you a clear winner. All four perform wonderfully IMO

They have about a 3-4 db greater output in the 400-500 Hz. range for better blend with the midrange horns of the Klipsch variety. Best bang for the buck for sure!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1