Learning from other brands to improve your Klipsch experience?

dubai2000

Hi everybody,

I have not been around here for quite some time - for many reasons. One of them is that although my serious listenig experiences began when I discovered Klipsch heritage speakers (my first encounter was a stock LaScala - which led to my purchase of a set of vintage Khorns) I admit that there are other interesting speakers around as well. So I started listening to Quads (the 57 and 63 models), a pair of Tannoy Arden and some vintage Cabasse speakers from France (to name just some of them). It has been an interesting journey and for a while it seemed as though I would never return to those horns. Together with all those speaker swapping I also tried quite a few different amps (mostly tubes) and - having read so much on this forum at the time - I began experimenting with different crossovers, drivers and horns - the result of which is shown in my signature.

Now the last time I posted here (again some time ago) I had installed the Khorn in the basement of my current home - and that is where they still are. To my surprise this rather smallish room is definitely the best for the horns I ever had - or perhaps I have simply become a more experienced listener over the years? Hard to tell, but I am sure that the exposure to all those other speakers have made me a more sensitive listener. For example I know notice how difficult it is to find a speaker that does not emphasize certain frequencies too much - for that I have to thank my exposure  to those Quads and vintage Cabasse speakers - and certain amps that I had the chance to listen to for a longer time - and that in return has helped me to listen a lot more carefully to the setting of the networks (or rather the autoformers!) I am using. Now I think for example that for a long time I didn't really notice that the squawkers in my settings were simply too loud.

So am I the only one around here who has collected experiences with other speakers and gear which in return has helped them to re-evaluate or improve their Klipsch setup?

Thanks for reading this by the way.

Cheers,

Wolfram

• Like 4

Yes, but slightly different. Every time I have left Klipsch Heritage, and I have owned all of the originals except the Belle's, I returned, realizing that the Klipsch's were more right for me  (squawkers and all) and the others were not. My Klipsch lessons would need to have been applied to the others, not the other way around.

Of course comparing those Klipsch Heritage speakers to other brands also shows off their advantages - no doubt here - I am wondering what "lessons" otheres might have learnt from such comparisons and which brands/models were chosen.

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be what the OP had in mind but I have owned many brands/models of speakers over the decades. I don't think any other brand is as dynamic as Klipsch. Transients are faster on a Klipsch. My current main speaker system is AR 3a's. They are slow and thick compared to Klipsch, but still very enjoyable. I will be in the market soon for a pair of Klipsch to partner with an 845 SET.  A pair of used Forte, Chorus, or Quartet are in the running. Heresy's too, but I would prefer some more bass and a taller speaker. 

• Like 1

Other speaker topologies offer different strengths and weaknesses, which always seem to lead me back to the dynamics, efficiency, and low distortion of horn loaded Klipsch.

Single drivers are, by definition, time aligned, but they are limited at the extremes.  Planar speakers, such as Quad electrostatics or  Magneplanars are a variant of the single driver concept.  Imaging is excellent, but they lack the dynamic impact of Klipsch.

IME, nothing else creates that sensation that a live band is playing in the next room.  While able to play LOUD and clear, Klipsch also sound excellent at low volumes near field.

• Like 2

Absolutely. With variety you gain experience. I've heard Focals & Martin Logans and both had me scratching my head as they were to analytical when it came to speech. Words pronounced perfectly which had me asking myself "who talks like that?" Much like today's razor sharp tv. Nothing in nature looks that bladed. But some speakers have gotten to a point of such quickness it's become clinical. But who am I kidding even when I give praises of my Wharfedales Denton's upon listening to music. The artist & instruments aren't supposed to sound "rich, laid back, warm". Live music is hardly ever warm & rich or laid back. Some music, sure. But not a majority of them.

With Klipsch, they allowed the artist to simply breath whenever they would sing. Uncolored.  Same with musical instruments. Be it in an orchestra or live venue I hear reverberation. A mixing of instruments with the surrounding elements. Good or bad this is what Klipsch gives you effortlessly.

I'll stay with my Klipsch Belle's for the foreseeable future . I'll tweak them here & there and will have to as components wear but they will always be Klipsch in my heart.

• Like 2

Great seeing you posting again my friend. Missed you and the detailed observations you always provided that lead any reader of your posts to a greater understand of all things audio.

To the topic at at hand, I cant really say I've spent a lot of time with other brands, aside from my formative experiences back in the 70's with mostly college systems. But then there are live concerts, and how well and how bad they are done is often reflected in the speakers they are using in the various venues.  Best take away from clubs and concert halls is JBL makes some very bad music.

I applaud Klipsch simply because the music they make thrills me to the bone, and I certainty feel there are other paths to that special sonic nirvosa we all seek.

Three decades ago I was the envy of my friends when I had four Bose 901s. I even hung them from chains at both ends of the living room. Good times listening to music videos on Sony Beta tapes. But I realized I was missing bass, then I wondered where the treble was. I realized there was no magic in those 901s, that 9 midrange drivers only produced midrange sound. So next came 2 LaScalas, 5 Heresys, an Academy, and finally 1967 Khorns. My ears were the persuasion to Buy Other Sound Equipment.

• Like 2

@Davecv41 After the 70s stereo that came in one box I had four bose 501s. Then I experienced Klipshorns for less than a whole evening. Not long after, Heresy IIs that I thought I might afford. Ran those for 25+ years. After my Trinitron/wega tv died a couple years ago, I got fed up with the sloppy 201s on my led setup and bought some Polk Audio TSx220Bs. They have deeper bass than my Heresys do..... but........

On 8/16/2017 at 2:34 AM, PhxJohn said:

I don't think any other brand is as dynamic as Klipsch.

PhxJohn states it well right there.

The little Polks led me to the Forte IIIs. The little Polks are in the closet now.

Thanks thebes for your nice words. I have been away from my horns for quite a while - I guess the main reason was/is that in my living room I only have one useful corner - and I never wanted to move into a place without two corners - well, life decided differently.

Anyway, luckily there is a room in the basement which can be used - and though it is small, it makes the horns sound pretty good. What other speakers have taught me is probably more listening experience - and thus I feel I can appreciated the various options my horns offer (different drivers, tap settings etc.) in a much more meaningful way.

While those horns have always been totally effortless, other designs seemed to be more 'real' in presenting instrumental/vocal "colours" - but now I don't think that this is really true - I suppose my ear wasn't simply trained enough to adjust those Klipsch "properly" - meaning to suit my personal listening habit. I admit that for a while I even was contemplating selling those horns of mine - also because I am not that fond of spening time in a basement without proper daylight - but now I am glad that I didn't - and I will even replace the caps in my crossovers - for the next "tiny" tweak.

Interesting thoughts from all. I love the sound of the Khorn but the reality of my living space rules them out. I enjoyed stand mounted RB61 IIs for several years in this space but found they could be a bit harsh on with some recordings. I started searching for a deal on the RF7 IIs thinking a full sized floor stander in my room would be nice full and remove the need for a sub (I'm not a wall rumble kind of guy and neither are my neighbors). Stumbled across Ohm Accoustics, a brand I was always curious about; took the plunge and haven't looked back. I find the clarity the Klipsch have is there with a more realistic presentation of the sort of music I listen to - predominantly jazz at moderate, sometimes high moderate levels. The large Klipsch do amazingly well with rock music because of the volume levels available and the fact that such music is always played through horn equipped PA systems, which the Heritage models in particular share many similarities. Seems the secret to great Klipsch sound with the Heritage series is tubes - which add a certain amount of distortion, albeit pleasant distortion. It seems with solid state the Klipsch can be too revealing of flaws which makes sense as they were originally designed to operate in a world that was powered by tubes.