K-43 Re-cone

Dave A

Question for you experienced speaker fixer uppers. I had a K-43 re-coned here in Nashville a while back. It was supposed to be an exact duplicate of the factory specs. I recently ordered a re-cone kit for a K-10-K from Simply Speakers and it had a lower Db rating by about 1.5 if I remember right then the factory original. They said it was their K-10-K re-cone kit but it was different than factory specs.  This re-cone guy orders kits too and the K43 he re-coned now requires the balance adjusted to favor it since it appears to need more watts to drive it. No wonder he said both should be done to make the sound equal.

Now you know the back round my question is where does one go to get exact factory spec re-cone work done preferably close to Nashville? Coulter has suggested an outfit in Indianapolis and I have an email into them but no reply back yet.

I think the k-43 is also made by Eminence.  Look on the back of the cone of an original for a date code beginning with 67-, the code for Eminence, and then look for the cone number.  A K-33 is 15162.  If you get an Eminence recone kit, you are assured of original Eminence performance.  That same date code will indicate who made the K-10-K. 

I would be interested to know where you find a kit.  I have a K43 with a burned coil and looked for a kit a few months ago and couldn't find one.  I replaced both with Crites K33 replacement speakers, which I like a lot, but I am still interested in fixing the original. 

On 8/9/2017 at 7:00 PM, djk said:

Eminence will only sell custom cone kits to the original customer (Klipsch), in large quantity.

And they will only make those kits as an addition to an order for the woofers.

• Like 1

Catching up and these replies are not encouraging. If I am not going to get factory specs with the re-cone kit I might as well buy new Eminence woofers. By the time I pay the re-cone dude in Nashville for incorrect parts I am over two thirds of the way to new. Actually in the case of 15" K33 woofer replacements I am money ahead by buying direct from Eminence. Surely there is a better answer.

7 hours ago, Dave A said:

Catching up and these replies are not encouraging. If I am not going to get factory specs with the re-cone kit I might as well buy new Eminence woofers. By the time I pay the re-cone dude in Nashville for incorrect parts I am over two thirds of the way to new. Actually in the case of 15" K33 woofer replacements I am money ahead by buying direct from Eminence. Surely there is a better answer.

On the K-43, have you asked Klipsch if they have the recone kits.  They used to have them.  In fact I have a couple of the K-43 recone kits I bought from Klipsch a few years ago.

Bob Crites

I tried to buy kits from Klipsch two months ago, and they had none.  They do have stamped steel K43s that will fit the LaScala if you want new exact replacements.  They are a lot more expensive.  Hence I gave up and bought Crites replacements.  happy with them!  Not sure if Klipsch would make a special order for rebuild kits with one of their orders from Emminence, for one or two kit sales. That is a lot of inventory and working capital. Worth asking I guess. 

I had a quote recently for K-42 and they were $194 each plus shipping. I want to say a number I heard recently for Klipsch direct k-43 was around $224.00. I ended up buying Eminence woofers recommended elsewhere on the forum as a replacement for the K42 for $124.00.

• 2 months later...

Bob, are you interested in selling your K-43 recone kits? If not, I found a place that sells aftermarket kits but I can't help wondering if there is really that much difference between the aftermarket kit and the real deal.

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-k43-aftermarket-recone-kit-4-ohm/

Also, do you know the difference between the K-43 and the K-43-K?

Thanks!

On 10/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, Dave A said:

Parts Express has a new link to a re-cone service with prices so cheap I wonder about it.  I may take a chance on it for one speaker just to see.   https://www.speakerrepaircenter.com/studios

I wonder just how does one check a kit out for specs that duplicate the original. Is there some way to measure this?

You would want to meet the OE specs as closely as possible. Bob Crites went through all this when he had his K33/43 replacement series speakers manufactured for him. He went through a painstaking process knowing PWK was watching from his grave.  :) Everybody who has bought them likes them. This speaker-repair-center is kind of a crap shoot unless there are some folks here who have used them. Here is a thread I put up a while back which shows the Thiele Small specs for these speakers and a few more. The information was as accurate as I could get info on and is not corroborated by Klipsch company. My goal was to allow people to use the Klipsch drivers in other cabinets and to allow folks to be able to see how a replacement speaker may compare to OE. Lots and lots of folks have experimented with lots and lots of drivers over the years. Crites is the best of them followed by Eminence Kappa 15-C's if I remember right.

Edited by mustang guy
changed kappa 15 to kappa 15c

"This speaker-repair-center is kind of a crap shoot unless there are some folks here who have used them. "

Yes for sure. I bought a re-cone kit from simply Speakers where they stated it was a direct Klipsch parameter replacement and then when I asked for exact specs it was 96db and not 98.5.  My problem is the pile of growing speakers like K-43 and K-42-kp"s I have and would like to restore these. Klipsch is expensive and for the money Eminence makes fine speakers. I have never tried Crites but I don't believe he had a direct replacement for the K-42-KP's of which I now have five. The K-42-KP is a problem because the recommended replacements I have bought all are a bit different in the casting size so either the four clamps wont clamp or the woofer hole needs to be routed out or both. Finding quality speaker repair has become a real problem for me and new Klipsch prices take to much out of my pocket to ever come out ahead in repairing Pro speakers for sale. I may just start machining clamps for the KP speakers myself and eliminate that problem at least. 

The only Nashville speaker repair guy left has had a set of K-42-KP's for over four months now and I have had next week done promises five times and he was paid in advance for this. Went by his house last week on an unrelated trip and he told me, after promising me they would be done the day I stopped in, the re-cone kit people had sent the wrong one.

20 hours ago, limited_edition said:

Does anyone know the difference between the K-43 and the K-43-K?

K = Klipsch (Pyle - Klipsch purchased Pyle.  Drivers formerly assembled in Hope, Arkansas and subsequently in Hot Springs, Arkansas were then moved to Pyle in Huntington, Indiana)

Many drivers were produced lacking manufacturer designations.