I have three crossovers, which is best for HIP's?

LalaWoots

Hello, longtime lurker, new member. I have three sets of crossovers and don't know enough about them to decide which would be best for the HIP clones I am building. I already have most of the speakers: KP 12" woofer, K-55M mids (K700 horns), and K77F tweeters. I searched the forums thoroughly but I am sure I missed a lot of info and I now need to decide on the crossover to use.

I have the Klipsch HIE, HIP, and KP3.0 crossovers to choose from. Let me know your thoughts, the top pic shows the HIP on the left and KP3.0 on the right.

HIP KP3 Crossovers1.jpg

Spoiler

HIP HIE Crossovers3.jpg

Hello! I personally use the HIE crossovers in my HIP's rebuilt by Bob Crites however I did lower the output of the tweeter and mids one tap as recommended by someone here to help even up the output of the woofer and horns. It seemed to help a little but honestly mine still need subwoofers to fill in the bottom end. I've been searching for a nice pair of original WO Heresy cabinets to swap my parts into and add a rear port to copy the super Heresy project also listed here. I believe the recommended crossover for that project is the Cornwall Type B-2 crossover, not exactly sure what the differences are between those and the HIE's. 

I would highly recommend reading up on the super Heresy project before starting your build as I believe that's probably the best way to go with these speaker parts.

Here's a link to the thread:

If you have the K-42-EV woofer, The HIPs were designed with a rising response that sounds great outside.  With the HIE network, the cast frame K-42-EV woofer rises to about 102 dB, supposedly, at the crossover to the squawker.  The squawker runs at 104 and the tweeter is run at 105 dB.  The woofer starts losing output below 125 Hz.  The HIE is a mildly modified Type AA.  I don't know much about the other networks or the components they were used with.  If you change the taps on the squawker and tweeter, you need to modify the low-pass filter on the woofer to attenuate it's rising response.