Refinishing La Scala black cabinets

miketyler

These two La Scalas needed attention. I was just going to quick sand and paint but my obsession with removing every nick and repairing every edge has taken over. I'd like to finish them in the identical satin black that my THX Ultra 2's are. Any recommendations on this? I was thinking of the SEM product called Hot Rod Black but thought that might actually be over kill. Cabinets will be smooth with no texture. Thoughts or recommendations on paint to use?  

IMG_5281.JPG

Also a pneumatic DA sander with 80 and 120 sanding discs will make quick work of the old finish. I'm filling using Dolphin Glaze, sanding, then applying a black surfacer to the cabinets before blocking down before paint. The innner walls and doghouse has little damage so i plan to lightly hand sand and scuff those areas. 

if you do a search on this forum for "Black Betty", you will find a nice pair of black LS's that member Matthews redid. He went with a higher gloss than I am assuming you want, but gives some insight into the process he used. He also added grills.

bbty.jpg.1c93bdf3b272bfe21083f967b281848b.jpg

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

if you do a search on this forum for "Black Betty", you will find a nice pair of black LS's that member Matthews redid. He went with a higher gloss than I am assuming you want, but gives some insight into the process he used. He also added grills.

bbty.jpg.1c93bdf3b272bfe21083f967b281848b.jpg

Those are sexy.

• Like 2

Somewhere @mustang guy did one of the best restoration threads I have ever read, step-by-step and detailed with text and pictures.  The LS's he restored were in really bad shape and they looked great afterwards.

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow or maybe MGuy will stop by and give us the link.

• 1 month later...