new 2 channel setup

sixsigma

I'm working on my new to me 2-channel system. I set out to build a good sounding 2-channel system without falling into the expensive black hole of high end audio equipment. I wanted to keep this all-in under $2500. I started with a really good set of 1977 La Scalas that I had Bob Crites rebuild the crossovers (great job and highly recommended). 

For the amp I chose the Yaqin MS-30L with EL34B tubes. The Yaqin has surprisingly good build quality and weighs over 50 pounds. The power transformers are Japanese with claimed 'audio grade' materials. I chose the MS-30L model because it has a few higher quality components, has a remote control, tube protection circuit, and offers user-selectable Ultralinear or Triode modes. Ultralinear mode provides 50 watts power and Triode mode offers 25 watts.

The turntable is Audio-Technica LP120. I'm using the supplied cartridge and built-in SS phono stage (RIAA standard). Not an expensive turntable but very good quality and has a lot of high end features. I really like it for the money.

The sound is overall amazing. It sounds very broad and wide, lots of dynamic range. I was worried that the bass may be weak with the La Scalas but that is not the case. It seems to have a very solid low end. Maybe not vibrate the walls deep but I don't hear that I'm missing much in most of the music I listen to (rock, primarily). I find myself wanting to keep turning it up, which is a sign that it sounds good. I thought I might like the Triode mode better as it drives the tubes a little harder, but I think I like Ultralinear mode a little better as it seems to have slightly more punch and depth. The difference is subtle though, and I think depends on the specific track. I like that I can switch between modes to experiment. The LS are very directional though and I am still trying different speaker angles and sitting positions for best sound. 

I'll update more later as I get some more experience with the Yaqin and system. I'll add a CD player later and I have a feed from streaming digital audio as well. 

20170804_210310.jpg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, sixsigma said:

Here's a better pic of the amp. I set the bias on each of the EL34s to .45 volts, as indicated in the manual. Yaqin included a handy little Torx type driver for the bias adjustments. 

20170804_210333.jpg

Dumb question. Being as I'm a newbie what exactly is bias adjustment? I've read some are automatic? Is this something you have to do with every tube amp? Does bias come "loose" after repeated on/off? 

The bias on a tube regulates the idle current. The bias setting can vary by tube model and even within a batch of same model tubes. There are a few ways it can be done in circuit design, and most of that is over my head. On this Yagin, it uses an adjustable fixed bias, where each tube has +/- multimeter contacts and a bias pot to adjust. Only took a few seconds to complete.  

1 hour ago, jvs1670 said:

Man that sure looks like a nice amp.   What are the differences and how does it compare to the Yaqin MC-13s?  

Thanks! The MS-30L has a remote control (motorized volume control), automatic delayed start tube protection circuit, selectable Ultralinear and Tripole modes, EL-34B power tubes, and higher quality transformers. It is about $100 more than the 13s which I thought was worth it for the upgrades. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect from a Chinese brand, but am actually really impressed. The remote control is a single machined block of aluminum. The amp itself is made from high quality materials and is very heavy (>50 lbs). It sounds incredible, lots of depth and punch, and it drives the LaScalas cleanly into painful territory. The amp gets very hot though. I could prob heat the room it is in!

Here's a pic with the cage removed.

20170804_193612.jpg

Edited by sixsigma

I ordered the amp on Amazon, with Prime shipping. Since it weighs ~55lbs the free Prime shipping was a nice benefit. The turntable I got on sale at my local Best Buy who had it for less than anyone online. I got the LaScalas off Ebay from a semi-local seller, so I could pick them up myself. 

I ordered the amp on Amazon, with Prime shipping. Since it weighs ~55lbs the free Prime shipping was a nice benefit. The turntable I got on sale at my local Best Buy who had it for less than anyone online. I got the LaScalas off Ebay from a semi-local seller, so I could pick them up myself. 

Thanks I'll have to check amazon. Seems both Cayin & Yaqin are pretty solid amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk