Anyone here have a hearing aid?

32blownhemi

I'm getting tired of saying "What" all the time (plus I'm sure my friends are even more tired of it).  Just wondering what brand you have & how it works when listening to music? The doctor's first two recommendations are usually from Widex or Siemens but there's a promotion being offered from Starkey that saves $2700 & she says that Starkey is a close 2nd in quality. Anyone know anything about hearing aids?   Thank You!    Bill

16 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

If you would have asked about cochlear implants I could have talked for about an hour about my uncle's experience. (about $120,000.00.later)

JJK

I heard today that Apple was working with cochlear about streaming blue tooth directly from your phone to the implant.

@32blownhemi, I am hearing impaired and have worn hearing aids my entire life. I currently wear a pair of Siemens, but have worn Starkey's in the past. 

What at kind of hearing loss do you have? Additionally, what type of hearing aid are you being recommended (cic, bte, etc...)? 

While my hearing loss is enough to require hearing aids, I choose to to listen to music with my hearing aids. Well, if I crank up my Chorus loud enough I can hear plenty fine, but I'm sure my neighbors can hear my music too. :)

Let me know how I can help. 

• Like 2

Have a Starkey................ and use it only when among crowds.  Tried unilateral and bilateral and neither approach genuine hearing and bilateral usage is nearly disorienting.  I use one in my left ear to aid in hearing conversation only.  They are costly and disappointing IMHO.  I was able to return one unit for a full refund.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr._Music_Fan said:

@32blownhemi, I am hearing impaired and have worn hearing aids my entire life. I currently wear a pair of Siemens, but have worn Starkey's in the past. 

What at kind of hearing loss do you have? Additionally, what type of hearing aid are you being recommended (cic, bte, etc...)? 

While my hearing loss is enough to require hearing aids, I choose to to listen to music with my hearing aids. Well, if I crank up my Chorus loud enough I can hear plenty fine, but I'm sure my neighbors can hear my music too. :)

Let me know how I can help. 

Thank You Mr Music Fan! I'm new to this so I'm not sure what cic or bte is. The doctor said she would normally recommend, as my first choice, either the Widex Beyond (220, 330 or 440) or the Signia Siemens Primax 7. But the Starkey Halo 2 is on sale so she recommended it. Said I could try it for 60 days & if I didn't like it return it. Said it worked really well for some folks. The Widex for the pair $7590 + tax (the 440). She said the Signa (Siemens) was a little bit less & the Starkey Halo 2 was $4938 + tax for the pair (buy one get the second at 1/2 price). She had the chart from the test I took (took it  a year ago, she said it'd still be good). It showed a line of dots in a line towards the top & then a line of dots towards the bottom. She said I hear sounds but just can't make out the words.  Not sure if this helps you or not. I know nothing about hearing aids except I'm tired of saying "What"...   Thank You!      Bill

ps, Oh, she said her #1 recommendation for me was the Starkey because it was on sale... 

2 hours ago, oscarsear said:

Have a Starkey................ and use it only when among crowds.  Tried unilateral and bilateral and neither approach genuine hearing and bilateral usage is nearly disorienting.  I use one in my left ear to aid in hearing conversation only.  They are costly and disappointing IMHO.  I was able to return one unit for a full refund.

Thank You Oscarsear! I Googled Starkey reviews & there were a lot of bad reviews although they were mostly older reviews. I'm going to go Google the other ones now... Bill

I've just been fitted with a pair of Starkey Soundlens Synergy i2400 IIC's.

Still getting used to them, and haven't been back for the initial adjustment yet, but so far, I'm pretty disappointed.  Especially since the Starkey promo literature claims that they reproduce "Music the way it was meant to be heard."  Music sounds like crap - distorted, tinny, and warbly (if that's a word).  Background musak in the grocery store sounds really awful.

I can turn down the volume on the TV, but speech recognition doesn't seem like it has improved much at all.  I was having a really hard time trying to follow the dialogue on the British show "Shetland" on PBS and hoped the hearing aids would help - but no joy (of course the dialogue is Scottish english, so it's hard to understand anyway).  I still have to really crank up the volume to try to decipher what's being said.

Hopefully the tech will be able to tune these things to improve the performance/reduce my complaints.  The tech can communicate with these things from a computer program wirelessly, so maybe they can be adjusted better.  So far, the best way to listen to music with these things is to take them out.

James

• Like 1

I have been to Starkey's a bunch of times with my Dad, he had a bunch of their hearing aids. Their wall of pictures of their clients is pretty impressive, 3 or 4 presidents, a few astronauts, many esteemed musicians, and lots of actresses and actors. of the 500 or so pictures on their wall I recognized most of the characters....The funny part was when the groups would come in from the south, with their gold toed boots and their limos, I just wished they would have left their hats at the door....