Help! Balanced Tube Preamp

JustAuBy

I'm needing some help deciding on a pre-amp for my new setup.  A few things that i require are listed below.  I prefer to purchase on the used market but i'm not against buying new if it's within my budget.  

System so far:  PC running Tidal/Hi-Rez DSD -> PS Audio Directwave Jr. -> Hypex Ncore NC400's -> DIY Corner loaded Radian RADIAN 5215Be's

Needed Features on Pre Amp

- Balanced XLR In/Out

-Tuuuuuuuubes

-Under $1500

-Subwoofer out/bass management (would be a bonus but not needed)

Some examples i have been looking at so far are:  AUDIO RESEARCH LS15, Schiit Freya, Cary Audio SLP 03, Cary Audio SLP-2002, Sonic Frontiers Line 2.

If you have any other pre's that I'm not aware of with a positive experience i would love to hear them or any experience with the above listed pre's.  Thanks for your time.

I play mostly vinyl so I can't claim familiarity with these line stage pres.  However, one of the most respected members here, Mikebsa2a3, is our expert on Cary products, a big fan, and very knowledgeable about all things tube.  Drop him a PM.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pbphoto said:

If I could side track briefly, I'd be interested in your experience and opinions on the PS Audio Directstream JR.

To add to this side track, how about some info on your speaker setup, I seem to remember the radians are pretty efficient. What kind of cabinet have you built for them?

Sorry for not having any input on balanced pre amps.

• Like 1

The PS Audio Junior is hands down the best dac i've owned or heard.  I've had a Benchmark Dac2 and an Eastern Electric Minimax Plus DAC's in the past.  Having there new Bridge II already installed on it makes for incorporating your library and using Roon or Tidal a breeze.  The ability to upgrade the DSJ was a big selling point for me too.  

I haven't received my Radian 5215Be's yet.  Currently using my Tekton Pendragons as a place holder.  I do however have the cabinets in place and ready for them.  Radian needs to get on their horse and ship them already.  I'll give a quick listening impression whenever i have them going.  The cabs are Bentwood Horns corner horn loaded with a 15" diameter.  Thought about going for a Horn/CD but was just too interested in the Coaxial Radian.  

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 9:36 AM, unclefred said:

You might look into the Schitt Freya. Balanced and SE, passive, jfet or tube mode. Two tube gain stage, two tube followers. $699

http://www.schiit.com/products/freya

Visit us at:  The Schiitter?   LOL

and there is more: After all, this is probably the only time guys can plan to go to the Schiitr together.   More LOL

• Haha 1

So you don't need a true balanced pre. Just the connections?

Changes the value /price formula. The super simple preamps done by audio karma members are amazing sounding. Even better with input transformers.  

The audio nirvana stuff is great but Only RCAs.  You might speak with him about a custom unit with only xlr.  Van Alsten too. 

I don't believe my existing equipment is fully balanced.  They do have XLR's which i enjoy (and i already have the cables).  A sub woofer out is also nice but i'm finding that i may not need them with my most recent build.  If i do i'm going to build an Othorn or Skhorn which can pull double duty with the theater i'm building.  I wasn't aware that Audio Nirvana made a pre-amp.  Are we speaking of the same company with Dave Dicks?