Mating K402+K510 to TAD TSC3415 Bass Bin

Fast996

I am looking to mount the Klipsch K402 +k510 horns to my pair of TAD Tsc3415 Bass bins.The bass units weigh 340LBS each with horns and drivers 380 lbs each. I will eventually use the TAD 4002 drivers but have the Klipsch drivers for now. Here is an image of how they will look. I am hoping these will sound very good as the TAD bass drivers will go down to 20HZ.What kind of sound can I get with the Klipsch  horns mated to the TAD'S  The height will be 85 inches..Has anyone used this combo.?

2017-08-10_1924_001.jpg

Nobody that I'm aware of has done this.

I'd imagine it could sound very nice (not being familiar with the bass bin)

The top end will sound good however, if you can get the bass bin to go high enough, might you be able to get by with just the 402 on top and keep it a 2-way?

If you use the 4002 drivers, would you use them on both the 402 and 510?  Or would you go for a larger midrange unit for the 402?

The 2-way Jubilee's (that use the TAD) are using them for full duty from around (if I recall) 380Hz on up.

5 hours ago, Coytee said:

Nobody that I'm aware of has done this.

I'd imagine it could sound very nice (not being familiar with the bass bin)

The top end will sound good however, if you can get the bass bin to go high enough, might you be able to get by with just the 402 on top and keep it a 2-way?

If you use the 4002 drivers, would you use them on both the 402 and 510?  Or would you go for a larger midrange unit for the 402?

The 2-way Jubilee's (that use the TAD) are using them for full duty from around (if I recall) 380Hz on up.

The passive network supports a 3 way setup as that was original with the TAD TSC 3415. The originals are no longer being made,so I think the Tractix horns would be a good fit. I would use the TAD drivers with the Klipsch horns provided they are 2 inch throats. With the network the bass can be directional which could give exceptional sound. The bass will go below 20 hz .

They're 2".  You would need that adapter or snout....whatever it's called to get you up from 1 1/2"

I don't know too much about the passive stuff....but I think the K402 needs some equalization and some kind of rising curve in the upper frequency.  (though I'm not 100% sure that I'm describing it very accurately)

Would your passive do that?

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

They're 2".  You would need that adapter or snout....whatever it's called to get you up from 1 1/2"

I don't know too much about the passive stuff....but I think the K402 needs some equalization and some kind of rising curve in the upper frequency.  (though I'm not 100% sure that I'm describing it very accurately)

Would your passive do that?

If the Klipsch horns are 2 inch then I'm fine. I would need some EQ,at least I think so,but I need to talk to the designer of the 3415.

From what I've heard of the Tractrix horns they should sound very open and natural...I'm hoping for that.

When you buy the K402 & K510 horns with the Klipsch drivers are they 1 1/2" or 2" ? As far as I know both horns are 2" throat is that correct?

The future drivers will be TAD 4002 on both horns 16 ohm and 2". In the picture with the Klipsch drivers the HF horn is not the K510 but another horn . Does anyone know the number of that horn?

thanks,

Gary

Both the 402 and 510 are 2" horns.  The drivers that come with them are 2" exits.  The picture you have above is the 510 above the 402 (unless they've assigned it a new number because of the mumps)

So you'd have a TAD 4002 on the K402 and another TAD 4002 on the K510??

Wouldn't you be better off having the TAD ??? (no idea of the number) midrange driver and push the 4002 back up for tweeter duty?

That said, you can trust me when I say the 4002 will be more than capable (volume wise) if you use it as the tweeter driver on the 402 and make it a 2-way speaker.  It will run you out of the room before you run it out of gas.

On 8/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, Coytee said:

Both the 402 and 510 are 2" horns.  The drivers that come with them are 2" exits.  The picture you have above is the 510 above the 402 (unless they've assigned it a new number because of the mumps)

So you'd have a TAD 4002 on the K402 and another TAD 4002 on the K510??

Wouldn't you be better off having the TAD ??? (no idea of the number) midrange driver and push the 4002 back up for tweeter duty?

That said, you can trust me when I say the 4002 will be more than capable (volume wise) if you use it as the tweeter driver on the 402 and make it a 2-way speaker.  It will run you out of the room before you run it out of gas.

What would you recommend as a crossover for a 3-way passive or active .The 3 way is what i am going after as my room is large. 30 x 45 the total open space is 1400 sq ft.

I don't know how your bottom end would compare, but the Jubilee is evidently recommended for use up to a 350 seat auditorium.

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KPT-JUBILEE535-B-Data-Sheet-v05.pdf

(3 way with proper midrange driver)

Personally, I think the 2-way would work in your situation unless you want ear-bleed levels (which can be nice if you are working in another part of the house....with a pneumatic nailer....with an air compressor.....with over-ear hearing protection on...)

Some of the popular actives here would be Ashley, EV, Xilica, Yamaha 

My guess is if you stayed in the realm of those three brands, you could always find someone here with some experience with them and able to help.

As for which one works/sounds the best, I'll leave that conversation to others.  I've had an EV and currently have a Xilica.  I can't say there is much of a difference between the two however (and it's a big however) I've not really dialed things in and the room could use some attention too so, both are not getting the best trial that they could.

None the less, they both sound good to my ears.

I talked to the head of the acoustical division at Materion today.

He couldn't tell me anytime soon that they would be producing Be Diaphragms for the TAD 4000 Series.
They were in the planning stages my guess 1-2 years. 2018-2019
If they went into production cost to the end user would be 600-700 each. 
There had to be sufficient demand.
Radian was an OEM of there's in there Be line.

So the wait is looking longer for a Be replacement.

I recently purchased 4 each of the TD-4001 for $1350 w/o diaphragms and will use the AL diaphragms from radian @$290.00 ea . 1st i'll see if i like the sound  the 4001's are a beast at 28 lbs each . If not  I will wait for the Truextent replacement or buy original Tad's $5000 ouch. 

I'll sell the Klipsch drivers then install the 4001's.

Lrg_Replacement_Diaphragms_BeX40T08_16_Prelim.pdf

tad4001a.jpg

On 8/13/2017 at 3:03 PM, Fast996 said:

I have called ACE and Panacea and both quote the K402 and K510 with drivers and I would like to purchase the horns separately. If anybody has done this please message me...thanks Roger

I don't mean to be putting words into anyone's mouths, but I don't think Klipsch will allow them to sell them as parts.  Seems the company doesn't want to be in the parts business....

Most that I'm aware of, had to buy the ensemble and then swap the driver out & put old driver into storage.  (I would fit into that group however, the TAD wasn't a known option at the time)

Now that I know what I know, if I had to do it again, I'd consider getting the 3-way driver (K1133?) on the 402 so if I ever wanted to take them to a 3-way, I'd already have the driver for the horn and would only need to acquire the K510.

(yes, this means I originally bought the K402's with the K69 driver on them, later pulled driver off and replaced it with the TAD and today, have some K510's (for another project) BUT, would like to play around with the Jubilee's as a 3-way but, can't....I don't have the proper midrange driver and I'm not about to buy a pair just for kicks)

Had I bought them in the beginning, I'd be able to play around til my heart is content.

20 hours ago, Fast996 said:

I recently purchased 4 each of the TD-4001 for $1350 w/o diaphragms and will use the AL diaphragms from radian @$290.00 ea . 1st i'll see if i like the sound  the 4001's are a beast at 28 lbs each . If not  I will wait for the Truextent replacement or buy original Tad's $5000 ouch. 

I'll sell the Klipsch drivers then install the 4001's.

Lrg_Replacement_Diaphragms_BeX40T08_16_Prelim.pdf

tad4001a.jpg

Coytee ,

Since your very familiar with putting the Tad drivers on the K402 What if any modifications are there to be made on the K402 to fit the TD4001 the 4001 is 1.9375 vs 2.00 inch.

Regarding my question on the TD4001 and it's fitment  I found this thread......

Hi , I thought Tad used a 1 15/16" throat with different bolt-spacings to a 2" driver . Isn't the JBL horn a 2" device ? 

It is 1 and 15/16" Vs. 2 inches for the throat connection. But when I attatched them onto my jbl 2360A horns they bolted right up with no problems.

Well i have decided to go another route as far as mid-high frequency horns ,The cost to acquire the K402/K510 is prohibitive.My guess is klipsch doesn't want them for DIY speaker builders @$3660 for PA Audo Drivers that's prohibitive  .

I can have custom horns made in the TAD configuration fitting the TD4001 which are beautiful and the speakers will look like TAD'S overall 

This image has them as a 4 way with the TAD ET703 Supertweeter .The height would be 75" tall vs 87" they would fit anywhere in my room.I can also not use. the ET703 for a 3 way

height is 69".Overall i'll be better off as far as room placement and i'll be happy.5999cf866bf58_ourTads.thumb.jpg.3c5fcb6aea837864a5ada062e39a1ae9.jpg