RF-7 II vs RP-280F vs RF-7 III Appearance Comparison

Youthman

I have never seen the RF-7 III in person, but currently own RF-7 II and previously owned RP-280F (both in black).

I personally prefer the looks of the RF-7 II due to the shorter grill and veneer on the front.  If I saw RF-7 III in person, it's possible that I would change my mind.

No doubt that the RF-7 II in black are "big black boxes", in a stately monolith kind of way, IMO.

I do wonder if the RF-7 III are as stable as the RF-7 II  on thick carpet/padding, given that the III does not have the outriggers on the back.  The II's are the most stable floorstander on carpet that I've ever owned - rock solid with no wobble.  I think much of this is due to the skinny spikes that penetrate through the carpet and padding, helped by the sheer weight of the speakers.  I would imagine that the outriggers add to the stability too.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, StevieQ said:

I think you'd have better results with the 2 RF7II + RC64II configuration rather than 3 RF7III or 3 RF7II. 

I don't want to make an assumption but I'm guessing you have never heard three identical speakers up front.  The absolute best front sound stage is three identical speakers. 

The RC64II (or RC64III) is a 2.5 way speaker and will give fuller, more mellow sounds, and will more faithfully replicate human voices than the 2-way RF7 can. 

With all due respect, I would have to disagree.  The RF-7 II is a much better speaker than the RC-64 II (I own both). 

The center channel is where most speech sounds are played and the RC64 is probably optimized for human speech.  Why go against the intended design of the RF line by substituting a main speaker in the center channel in home theater applications when there is a center channel designed specifically for that purpose?

I thought this too but there is nothing special about a "center" channel speaker other than the fact that it's horizontal which is much easier to accomodate in most people's setups than a floor standing speaker.

Having three identical speakers up front provides an ABSOLUTE SEAMLESS transition when sound pans from one speaker to another.  Why wouldn't you want the best setup, especially if you have an AT Screen they will be behind. 

One last thought....if you were to look behind the screen at your local movie theater...I promise....you won't find a horizontal "center channel" speaker.  ;)

53 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I don't want to make an assumption but I'm guessing you have never heard three identical speakers up front.  The absolute best front sound stage is three identical speakers.

This is correct.

With all due respect, I would have to disagree.  The RF-7 II is a much better speaker than the RC-64 II (I own both). 

I do own an RC-64II that I bought it along with my RF-7 II speakers, but I decided to use my RF-7 II in 2-channel music only rather than for my home theater, so the RC-64II is still boxed up.  For my home theater, I am happy with the RP-280F L/R + RP-450C center channel so far.

53 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I thought this too but there is nothing special about a "center" channel speaker other than the fact that it's horizontal which is much easier to accomodate in most people's setups than a floor standing speaker.

Having three identical speakers up front provides an ABSOLUTE SEAMLESS transition when sound pans from one speaker to another.  Why wouldn't you want the best setup, especially if you have an AT Screen they will be behind. 

I think if you ask the Klipsch designers they will probably agree with my conjecture that the RC-64 is optimized for speech while the main RF-7 II/III is probably not.

However, I generally agree with your statements in most cases, EXCEPT that the discussion at hand is in reference to the RF-7 II setup.  My personal experience with the RF-7II is that it sounds lacking in the mid-range, including the human voice range.  That's why I think the RC-64 II will be a better option in a home theater application since it's presumably optimized for speech.

By the way, I also have a pair of 1970-era La Scala.  I may move the La Scala into my theater room because I like the rich sound, especially in the mid range. 

It's not entirely correct to project your positive experience with a three-speaker La Scala setup onto the RF line to conclude the same positive result would be produced with the RF-7 II.  The La Scala and the RF-7 II have different frequency response characteristics relative to all-important vocal mid-range frequencies.  The La Scala sounds very rich and mellow in the midrange but the RF-7 II does not (at least not without some serious equalization).

6 hours ago, StevieQ said:

I think you'd have better results with the 2 RF7II + RC64II configuration rather than 3 RF7III or 3 RF7II. 

Not even close, even though the 64 is a fine center speaker.   Identical across the front will provide the most seamless front stage that is possible.  Exact 7-7-7 all the way in a dedicated theater room, 7-64-7 in a typical family room setup.

**Assuming RF-7 type system is being used**

Bill

• Like 1

For my Synergy set up, I use the same 3 speakers across the front

with the center on it side so I can place the 43" TV on top of it.

That was my choice and best option since my TV stand is too

small to hold the TV. I don't care what anyone says about using

a main speaker for a center, 3 identical speakers in the front

sound awesome compared to a smaller center.

To each his own.

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, StevieQ said:

That's why I think the RC-64 II will be a better option in a home theater application since it's presumably optimized for speech.

The key words are in bold.  :P

54 minutes ago, StevieQ said:

It's not entirely correct to project your positive experience with a three-speaker La Scala setup onto the RF line to conclude the same positive result would be produced with the RF-7 II. 

I'm not sure you will find a lot of support for your theory but as they say.... YMMV.

@Scrappydue and @MetropolisLakeOutfitters have owned / heard various LCR setups including RF-7 II.  Maybe they can share their experience.

Typically the only reason to get a horizontal center is to put it under a TV.  Otherwise typically identical LCR's are superior.  If you think that an RF-7II inherently sucks in the midrange and anything would be an improvement for voices, there's really not much to argue with there.  :)  For sitting off-axis and typical panning effects, you're just not going to beat three identical LCR's though, it's just not the same, at all.  

3 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

For sitting off-axis and typical panning effects, you're just not going to beat three identical LCR's though, it's just not the same, at all.  

Agreed, that's why some experts advise placing the center channel vertically rather than horizontally to minimize the effects of lobing.

7 hours ago, Youthman said:

The key words are in bold.  :P

I'm not sure you will find a lot of support for your theory but as they say.... YMMV.

@Scrappydue and @MetropolisLakeOutfitters have owned / heard various LCR setups including RF-7 II.  Maybe they can share their experience.

One thing I do want to mention is that the RF-7 II creates a very wide and HIGH soundstage.  I recall Youthman you made this observation in one of your videos.  I have also observed this same phenomenon.  A wide soundstage is welcomed, but the extra height in the perceived soundstage, while not a problem when applied to music listening, will distort the accuracy of the soundstage in a home theater application.  Let's say in the movie the actors are talking while in a sitting position.  Ideally the viewer listening to the dialogue while sitting down should perceive the sound as coming from ear level, but the RF-7 II will make it sound like the dialogue is coming from two to three feet higher than ear level.  This is another reason why I think (there goes that word again! :D) using the RC-64 II will minimize this problem.

I had a custom RF-7II behind my screen, it was basically RF-7II components but in a slimmer sealed box.  Most things were about the same except for the bass.  I can't say there was any excessive 3' taller than it should be voices coming from the center channel, that's just wild speculation, I can't buy into that.  

10 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

What happens if the people in the movie are standing and your center is low? Will it sound like they are sitting? We might be on to something here. If your CC is low, only watch movies where the actors talk sitting down and vice versa.

Haven't seen that problem with my RP 280 + RC450c setup.  It sounds accurate height wise.

Edited by StevieQ

• Moderators
2 hours ago, StevieQ said:

One thing I do want to mention is that the RF-7 II creates a very wide and HIGH soundstage.  I recall Youthman you made this observation in one of your videos.  I have also observed this same phenomenon. 

Yes, that is exactly what I experience.

2 hours ago, StevieQ said:

A wide soundstage is welcomed, but the extra height in the perceived soundstage, while not a problem when applied to music listening, will distort the accuracy of the soundstage in a home theater application.  Let's say in the movie the actors are talking while in a sitting position.  Ideally the viewer listening to the dialogue while sitting down should perceive the sound as coming from ear level, but the RF-7 II will make it sound like the dialogue is coming from two to three feet higher than ear level. 

I just have a hard time with this theory.  The only way to know for sure is for you to setup both systems in the same room and see for yourself.  I just can't see anyone complaining about three RF-7 II for home theater.

Thanks to all for the input, it's looking like I'll be putting 3 RF7III's behind the screen.  I'll take daily shots of the build as it is progressing.  Part of a larger home modification that we are making, so I don't suspect I'll be posting any pictures for 3-4 months.  Looking forward to showing off the builds and then the final system when it's done though!

• Like 2