RP-260F and RP-450C, Yamaha Aventage RX-A770?

CaspianC

I have an Yamaha RX-A770 (Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven, 95 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

Considering upgrading my speakers to a pair of Klipsch RP-260Fs and a RP-450C.  Will my receiver be powerful enough?  Wife doesn't like it "too loud" so I am hoping based on that I will be ok.  I also have a SVS SB-1000.

• Moderators

Hi Caspian.  Welcome to the forums. 

What speakers do you currently have?

How many speakers will you be running with your receiver? 

Keep in mind with the specs of your current receiver, if it states it will provide 95 W with only two speakers, the more you add, the lower that number drops.  If you are only driving three speakers (fronts and center), that will be ok.  In one of my previous receivers, it claimed it was 140 x 7 but in true benchmark testing, it dropped down to only 55wpc which sounded VERY uninspiring.  The more clean power you provide your speakers, the less likely they are to distort at higher volumes.  If you don't watch it too loud, it's not as big of an issue.  The SVS is likely is powered by it's own internal amp so your receiver will not be sending any of it's available power to drive it.

• Like 1

• Moderators

One thing you will notice immediately is the Klipsch RP-260F will play quite a bit louder at the same volume setting than your Pioneer speakers.  

Interestingly, when I looked up the specs on the Pioneer, I kept reading "High Efficiency Soft Dome Tweeter" yet it was difficult to find out what the actual sensitivity rating of the speaker was.  When I googled it, it says they have a sensitivity of 89db (which isn't that sensitive).  In comparison the RP-260F has a 97db sensitivity.  What this means is if they feed each speaker 1 watt with a microphone at 1 meter, the Pioneer will play at 89db and the RP-260F will play at 97db.  That's a huge jump in volume because it takes 2x the power to gain 3db in volume and if I remember correctly, when something increases 5db, our ears perceive it as being twice as loud (someone correct me if that is an incorrect statement)

So let's take the Pioneer (don't judge me if my math is wrong because I usually mess this up LOL)

1 watt = 89db
2 watt = 92db
4 watt = 95db
8 watt = 98db
16 watt = 101db
32 watt = 104 db
64 watt = 107 db
128 watt = 110 db

And with the Pioneer RP-260F

1 watt = 97db
2 watt = 100db
4 watt = 103db
8 watt = 106db
16 watt = 109db
32 watt = 112db
64 watt = 115db
128 watt = 118db

With your wife not liking it loud is not a bad thing to have sensitive speakers....it means you can turn it up less, which lowers the distortion and allows your receiver to run cooler.

Not many people know that...There is actually a refrence on the Klipsch website..no pun intended.

See link below.  

http://www.klipsch.com/news/klipsch-renews-sponsorship-as-official-audio-partner-of-the-rock-roll-hall-of-fame

About Klipsch Audio

In 1946 Paul W. Klipsch, inventor, acoustics pioneer and maverick, founded Klipsch Audio with the sole purpose of bringing the power, detail and emotion of the live music experience into his living room. Through the use of highly efficient speaker designs, handcrafted cabinetry and a thirst for real engineering breakthroughs – Klipsch, the great American loudspeaker company, was born in Hope, AR. Today, our diverse range of quality audio products includes speakers and headphones for almost any consumer and professional application – including cinema, whole-house, wireless, home theater and portable offerings. Honoring our founder’s legacy, Klipsch continues to be the legendary high-performance brand of choice for audiophiles and aficionados around the world. We are the Keepers of the Sound®. Klipsch Group, Inc. is a VOXX International Company (NASDAQ: VOXX).

Sorry couldn't resist JK LOL