why does modern music sound so...

Schu

22 hours ago, Speed said:

I've had this conversation, with my younger friends. They think everything has already been done. Could it be, we have reached the limits of creativity ? Artists and bands, certainly seem to... 

Of course we haven't reached the limits of human creativity. What the video does illustrate is that when the creative people are pushed out of an industry that produces art (as happened when large corporations took over the recording industry during the 1970s – 1980s), that industry ceases to produce art and begins to exist only as commerce: to make money. Pop music hasn't been about art or creativity for over three decades — it's just a cash cow. Those of us looking for a meaningful emotional connection with music have had to look at musical forms other than pop since before that guy in the video was even born. (To be fair, in spite of his age and sometimes-difficult-to-decipher accent, I think the video nails it. at least as far as it goes.)

I would like to hear a lot more opinions on this topic. I agree most music is dreadful today, you can't just blame the record companies for wanting just to make money. Where's the money, when nobody is buying music ?

The next Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Elton John, Journey, would they not be enormous cash cows for the record companies ? 

• Like 1

I think you need to qualify the statement, most music these days is dreadful.

The qualification is, POPULAR music these days is dreadful... where as in the past, POPULAR music was progressively decent. I also think there needs to be a caveat that we're talking mainly about westernized music.

There is great music being made today to be sure... it's just not popular.

All the songs are thrown together with plastic results. Just like a computer pumping them out with nothing but random notes. I don't like the new melodies, lyrics, rhythms, singing, or mixing.

They are worse than elevator music. I think I about covered it.

JJK

On 8/15/2017 at 2:17 PM, jimjimbo said:

Don't even need to watch the video.  All you need to know is communicated through the photos of the 3 "artists" pictured.....

My sentiments exactly.

Washed up.

No talent.

Sexualized.

Annoying.

Pretty much says it all about them.