Klipsch for 845 SET

PhxJohn

This question has probably been asked before but I would like to be a bit more specific. I am considering buying a SET amp that uses the 845 triode. It is one of the most powerful triodes. Klipschorns and LaScala's are out of the equation due to price(new and/or used) and transporting them. I am thinking that the Heresy would work well. Are models like the Forte, Chorus, and KG4's viable in this application ? Would any of the more recent models fit the bill ? I remember when I knew the specs of every Klipsch model. There are so many now. I cannot keep up. 

Having more power than the average triode strapped amp opens your options (you could go with smaller, less sensitive models in the RP series for example), but I recommend you stick in the Heritage or 'extended Heritage' realm.  Heresies would be great, but if you like bass extension you'll need to augment them with a sub or two.  Fortes or Chorus dig pretty deep on their own.  If you have the means for new Heritage, the forte III should be near the top of your list of contenders.

• Like 1

In approximate order, since K-horns, Bells and La Scalas are off the table, I'd recommend,

Cornwall

Chorus

Forte

Series II of the above

I have kg2s and I like them well enough, but they do not have the sound of the original Heritage.  You'll have to listen to the bigger KGs to see if you like them.  The current Cornwall III and Forte III (heard at this year's Pilgrimage) should sound a lot like the the originals.  You may find those in stores. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My CazTech SE-845 monoblocks have driven Klipsch LaScalas and Belles, JBL 4430s and 4425s and Lowther PM2a/Medallions with ease.

Even drives my Rogers LS3/5a.

As was previously stated, a well designed and properly built 845 SET amp is a different beast altogether and will drive the Cornwall, and other Klipsch speakers of similar sensitivity, with ease.

Just my opinion.....

I'm waiting for my new pair of Cornwall III SE.  They will be driven by my lovely Line Magnetic 518IA that are based on 845 valves.  22 watts of pure SET. I will get my Cornwalls tonight, and can give some impressions here after some listening (if I can remove myselves from the sweetspot:). I have one acquaintance that runs the same; Cornwalls with 845 SET, and he is in heaven:).

I have a pair of '77 vintage Heresy's that I recently switched amps from my Emotiva A-100 BasX 50 Wpc (8 Ohms <.05% THD + N) to my new Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 (6L6 family SET - 6SJ7 pre-amp.). I find that it's 6.5 Wpc is sufficient for my listening in my 11+' x 12' x 9' carpeted BR-turned-office - credit the efficient Heresy's for that. It won't rattle the floor (concrete with carpet & pad) or the rafters, but it will reproduce both a string bass and a kick bass quite well. I will try the amp with my RB-81ii's upstairs this afternoon and report back. The beauty of this amp is that it will self bias just about any variant of a 6L6 - and the amp costs less delivered from China by Air than a pair of 845's alone would cost! It's a sweet little amp. Of course, Heresy iii's are even more efficient.

John