New Here, upgraded Bose to Klipsch

Allenmaty

I'm new here and have always considered myself an audiophile, but never had the money to buy the really good stuff. I was happy with the Bose Acoustimass IV for the last 10 years mainly for movies, but I always knew it was lacking. Not here to bash Bose, they are a good system and served me well.

I'm at a time in my life I can afford better stuff and wanted to upgrade and enjoy great sound before my hearing goes (turning 50 this year!). Not sure up to what frequencies I can still hear, but using a frequency generator I can just make out ~16KHz, which is pretty good for my age. I should probably get a hearing test...

Did a lot of research on Speakers and of course the $20K speakers are still out of the question, but looked into Klipsch, and found very reasonably priced respected speakers, and it's American! 

So far I've purchased the PR150M for the fronts and hung them from the ceiling (upside-down), the RP250C on top of the TV (upside-down) and R-112SW facing the corner wall. They are powered by a Sony ZA2000ES digital receiver (highly recommend). What can I say! What a difference!! The sound is crystal clear, highs, mids and base that just punches you in the stomach!! I plan on replace the Bose 161 rears with the RP-240S when more funds are budgeted.

Sony BDPS790 Blu-ray Player

Sony Bravia TV

Monster Power HTS3500 (x2)*

My other components are vintage, all in working order:

Technics SL-QL1 linear tracking Turntable

Yaqin MS23B Preamp with Russian 12AX7 tubes (new, not vintage, use for turntable)

Pioneer RT-707 open reel Deck

TEAC AN-180 Dolby Noise Reduction Unit (use with RT-707)

Pioneer CT-F700 Cassette Deck

*Plugged into a dedicated 20Amp circuit, with isolated ground back to the main panel.

Edited by Allenmaty
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  Klipsch has a ton of great speakers that will certainly take your system to an entirely new level than what you were used to with the acoustimass system.

I have a few questions about your setup...

I'm curious why you mounted the center upside down?  Typically the best option is to angle the center towards your listening position so in your case, you will likely need to raise the rear of the center so that the tweeter is firing at your ears instead of over your head.  I did this with my first setup and it made a HUGE difference in my setup.

I'm also curious why you aimed your sub into the corner of your wall.  Subs are often placed in corners to provide "corner loading" but I've never heard of someone pointing it into the corner.  I remember being placed in the corner in elementary school.  Has your sub been a bad boy?  :P

Can you post photos of your room and setup?  It makes it easier to visualize what you are working with.

• Like 1

I have a very active 3 year old son ;)!

With that said, I needed to protect the sub from little hands and toys! It does have about 5" space from the wall to disperse the movement of air created by the sub. I am considering getting a hard speaker grill to protect it, any suggestions will be welcomed. I did talk to Klipsch tech support and was told there is no problem doing this.

The center has to go above the TV and the mounting holes are on the bottom of the speaker, so I turned it over and mounted it underneath the entertainment center shelf just on top of the TV. I did take the speaker grills and put them right side up so it looks OK.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Allenmaty said:

With that said, I needed to protect the sub from little hands and toys! It does have about 5" space from the wall to disperse the movement of air created by the sub. I am considering getting a hard speaker grill to protect it, any suggestions will be welcomed. I did talk to Klipsch tech support and was told there is no problem doing this.

Gotcha.  I've just never seen that done but doesn't mean there is anything wrong with doing it. 

2 minutes ago, Allenmaty said:

The center has to go above the TV and the mounting holes are on the bottom of the speaker, so I turned it over and mounted it underneath the entertainment center shelf just on top of the TV.

Pretty slick.  Is the speaker aimed at your ears where it is mounted?

Welcome,

Pardon me for taking the opportunity to point out what I feel is a general misuse of the term "audiophile."  

IMO, audiophile comes from Greek and means one who is attracted to audio.  In other words, someone who likes audio, music reproduction, etc.  In the broadest sense of that definition, my 91 year-old mother-in-law, with her Bose music machine, is an audiophile.

IMO, one need not be an expert, or audio snob, to be an audiophile.  My mother-in-law is not, by any stretch of the imagination an audio snob or expert.  My inference is that many use the term "audiophile" as if it were synonymous with audio expert and/or snob.  One person's audio expert could be another person's audio fool.

Essentially, by default, most who post or lurk here are, IMO, audiophiles.  To offer the disclaimer -- you acknowledge, correctly, being an audiophile-- of not being an audiophile may indicate that you (editorial you) do not hold yourself out as an audio snob or audio expert.  IMO, it is no sin to be an audiophile, or, as I refer to myself, an audiophool.

• Like 2

LOL, thanks for the clarification!

I have always especially been fascinated with audio reproduction, it all started when I was a child. My father put his old Eico HF-20 HiFi amp that he built when he was a kid with a Garrard Record changer in my room. Later I got his portable mono Sony reel to reel I started recording with (1970's) until I got a 'getto blaster' with a tape deck, lol. Experimented with the electronics and tube testers shocking myself many times and even created a fireball out of the wall socket!!  Slowly upgraded with hand-me down stereo tube amps eventually going solid state. I even did a research paper in high school on the history of speakers and the different designs (early 80's). I also got into repair of amplifiers, turntables, tape decks, VCR's and CD players. I had a lot of audio junk for a long time, but I've gotten rid of most of the stuff (because of wife nagging ;)) , I've just kept some of my best stuff and just love to sit there and enjoy great sounding music. I still have quite a vinyl and tape collection, which I will not let go...

Does that make me an expert? Probably not, but I love talking about it ;)

Edited by Allenmaty
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Allenmaty said:

I have a very active 3 year old son ;)!

The center has to go above the TV and the mounting holes are on the bottom of the speaker, so I turned it over and mounted it underneath the entertainment center shelf just on top of the TV. I did take the speaker grills and put them right side up so it looks OK.

lol very creative

nothing wrong mounting it upside down HOWEVER

those are foot adjustment screw holes....up front tilts it up....back one tilts it down

usually the center is tilted to point directly at ears sitting flat

but hey that works should be fine as you did it....creative ☺

• 6 months later...

Finally completed the 7.1 system! I put RP-240S in the back and 2 more  RP250C for the side. So in all, I have 4 RP250C (front and side), 2 RP-240S (Rear), 1 PR150M( Center) and R-112SW (sub). These are powered by a Sony ZA2000ES digital receiver (100W/channel). The PR150M's are all hanging from the ceiling, so my wife is obviously not thrilled about it, she said "look pinatas!" NOoooo!!

She will learn to like it ;)

But it sounds FANTASTIC!! Crisp, clean, mid and high range, and tight base that will shake the house! Night and day difference between this and my old Bose system!

Edited by Allenmaty
  • Like 2