SOLD! Epic Series K-64-KN / K-63-KN Driver

CANT

I collected a few of these a while back to play with... never ended up using any them...

They were all labeled K-64-KN so they were originally used/meant to be used in the CF-2 with a K703 horn. You likely already know but in case you don't, this is the exact same driver used in the K-63-KN (CF-3 and CF-4) it was just mated to a K603 horn in that assembly. Speaking of used/meant to be used... I am not fully aware of this guys past life/lives. I know what little I did with it and that the driver still test good but can't say with any certainty how new or used it actually is... just trying to be honest. Driver is dated Nov 4 1995

I have this currently listed on ebay for $130 shipped within the continental US (I would prefer not to ship internationally)

Side note: I actually have a CF-2 crossover lying around in the garage somewhere if some one might be interested in that too... no horn though

Edit: All of these have been sold off as of Feb 2018

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

K-63-KN and K-64-KN are the assembly numbers for the horn and driver combinations. Similar to the K-53-Ti being the assembly number for a K-52-Ti driver and a K701 horn...

older examples would be:

K-53-K = K-52 & K701

K-57-K = K-52 & K601

Much of the readily available information on these assemblies was lost when Klipsch deleted the old spec pages from their website.

From a manufacturing standpoint it would make little cost sense for the driver of these 2 assemblies to be different... not that it couldn't happen, there would just have to be a good justification for it like the potential benefits of using a different diaphragm material or impedance (4 vs 8 vs 16 ohm). In this situation though the drive of the 63 and 64 are both 8 ohm nominally and both utilize a rather special/proprietary aluminum diaphragm.

Another fun fact (opinion):

This driver appears to be (rather obviously) based on the Electro Voice DH1506 / DH2 family of design... in fact you can swap the snouts (compression chamber/diaphragm) and magnet assemblies of this driver and the K-60-M/DH1506 (I did once for fun). My guess is that they rather liked the EV driver (obviously used it for the K-60-M) but needed it to be significantly lighter for the CF series applications. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/6/2017 at 10:20 AM, mustangerfourlife said:

Are these still for sale?

I apologize for the (very) late reply... I do not get on this site a whole lot and only get sporadic/inconsistent email notifications from it...

Yes, these are still for sale

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2018 at 12:27 PM, CANT said:

I've updated the post... only one left now

Hi CANT,

Old thread but I just recently acquired a set of CF3 version 1 with the K-63-KN tweeter diaphragms. Unfortunately, 1 of the tweeters is blown.

I have a couple questions for you.

You had mentioned the K-64-KN is the same tweeter as the K-63-KN but re-labeled for other horn assemblies. (CF2, KV4)

I found a K-64-KN tweeter and would like to use it for my CF3. There are a couple differences, the K-64 is silver (not black) and the driver throat has a silver screen under the gasket. Do you know why the screen is there? Is it necessary? The K-63 does not have one.

Did you or anyone ever see the specs of the drivers to see if the frequency response was different?

Thanks,

crunchman

On 11/23/2019 at 6:23 PM, crunchman12001 said:

You had mentioned the K-64-KN is the same tweeter as the K-63-KN but re-labeled for other horn assemblies. (CF2, KV4)

I found a K-64-KN tweeter and would like to use it for my CF3. There are a couple differences, the K-64 is silver (not black) and the driver throat has a silver screen under the gasket. Do you know why the screen is there? Is it necessary? The K-63 does not have one.

Did you or anyone ever see the specs of the drivers to see if the frequency response was different?

1. What do you mean by "silver (not black)"? If it's just painted vs unpainted then I wouldn't worry about but if there are other, more extreme, physical differences then I would maybe hold off?

2. The screen is basically a bug/dust shield. It isn't needed but I have never seen one of these drivers without it? I have seen the K52H with and without a screen though. The difference is audible but not drastic and only really affects the very top end.

3. I have never seen any released specs for the driver but I also have never seen a part number for the driver on it's own. 

6 hours ago, CANT said:

1. What do you mean by "silver (not black)"? If it's just painted vs unpainted then I wouldn't worry about but if there are other, more extreme, physical differences then I would maybe hold off?

2. The screen is basically a bug/dust shield. It isn't needed but I have never seen one of these drivers without it? I have seen the K52H with and without a screen though. The difference is audible but not drastic and only really affects the very top end.

3. I have never seen any released specs for the driver but I also have never seen a part number for the driver on it's own. 

Hi CANT,

Thank you for your reply.

1) & 2)..The K-63 & K-64 are identical other than the color and the screen over the driver throat on the K-64-KN.

I snagged the K-64-KN due to the rarity of the tweeter drivers and lack of new diaphragms after I saw one for sale. I also read the thread with you mentioning they were the same driver.

I am hoping the K-63 & the K-64 are the same but the screen has me stumped. I am hoping that Roy Delgado will see this this thread and confirm if it will work or not. I am wondering if the K-63 and K-64 will get along or should I find another K-64 so they match?

I have attached a couple pictures for those that have never seen both together, The K-64-KN is on the left.

KIMG0875.jpg

3 minutes ago, crunchman12001 said:

1) & 2)..The K-63 & K-64 are identical other than the color and the screen over the driver throat on the K-64-KN.

I snagged the K-64-KN due to the rarity of the tweeter drivers and lack of new diaphragms after I saw one for sale. I also read the thread with you mentioning they were the same driver.

My guess would be that the one w/o the screen is likely just a very early production model? Possibly a different supplier/vendor???

The old spec sheets have the CF series produced from 94-96... it's hard to believe there was so much variation in  such a short amount of time?

42 minutes ago, CANT said:

My guess would be that the one w/o the screen is likely just a very early production model? Possibly a different supplier/vendor???

The old spec sheets have the CF series produced from 94-96... it's hard to believe there was so much variation in  such a short amount of time?

The CF3 and CF4 with the K-63-KN were produced 1994 - 1996. The CF2 with the K-64-KN was produced 1994-1996.  The  KV4 with the K-64-KN was produced 1996 - 1997. I wonder if anyone has the CF2 with the silver K-64-KN? Did Klipsch have an excess of K-64-KN's they needed to unload for a year and produced the KV4? The high end of the KV4 is the same as the CF2 36Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB vs KV4 65Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB. ? The CF3 is 35Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB and the CF4 is 34Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 7:15 PM, crunchman12001 said:

KIMG0879.jpg

Just a follow up on information regarding the difference between the K-63-KN (CF-3 & CF-4) vs K-64-KN (CF-2 & KV4)

Although the two appear to be exactly the same except for the color and the screen on the snout of the Silver K-64-KN, they are different. The K-64-KN has less output than the K-63-KN due to the size of the driver magnet. The K-64 has a smaller magnet.

The good news is both the drivers use the same diaphragm and are interchangeable.

The aluminum diaphragm is very fragile and a pain to remove. More good news is the diaphragm / phase plug assembly are also interchangeable and an easy swap. Trust me, don't fiddle with changing the diaphragm, just swap the whole assembly.

Here are some pics of what I did last night. I had a bad K-63-KN diaphragm that I swapped assemblies with a good K-64-KN.

If you have questions, I will try to answer.

KIMG0934.jpg