Jump to content

SOLD! Epic Series K-64-KN / K-63-KN Driver


CANT
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, crunchman12001 said:

Although the two appear to be exactly the same except for the color and the screen on the snout of the Silver K-64-KN, they are different. The K-64-KN has less output than the K-63-KN due to the size of the driver magnet. The K-64 has a smaller magnet. 

 

How can you tell the magnet is larger (deeper)? I never noticed this?

 

I would also note that this may still not be a difference between the 63 & 64... and may actually be a revision to the motor (magnet) or manufacturing variance. The CF line is obviously known for its "versions".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CANT said:

 

How can you tell the magnet is larger (deeper)? I never noticed this?

 

I would also note that this may still not be a difference between the 63 & 64... and may actually be a revision to the motor (magnet) or manufacturing variance. The CF line is obviously known for its "versions".

The silver plate in the center of the driver is a cover for the magnet disk. I do not have a depth gauge so my measurement is not exact but the hole is almost twice as deep on the K-64-KN as it is on the K-63-KN. The K-63-KN has a thicker magnet that provides greater output. I will not mention names without permission but it has been confirmed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, CANT said:

Not sure if it helps or not... but here is an old pic of one of the K64 motors I sold

K64 MOTOR.jpeg

As you see from my previous pics, the K-63 and K-64 are identical. The only difference from what I have recently been told is the size of the magnet under the center plate with the hole in it. The good news is we can swap the diaphragm assembly to a non working K-63-KN or vise versa. I did not intend to offend you, just trying to help out Epic owners that find themselves with a bad diaphragm since these are almost non-existent.

 

KIMG0935.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Reviving this to hopefully add some more context. I’m in the midst of fixing a KV4 and found many similarities to the CF2. 
 

KV4 and CF2 both use K-64-KN but in varying metal colors and with or without screen. I’m curious if there’s ANY difference here other than aesthetics. 
 

Same horn. 
 

Same crossover. KV4’s is actually marked “Epic CF2” on its board. It seems one capacitor varied on the board from one year to another, in my case, ‘95 to ‘96. Is there any sonic difference here or was it simply using another cap to serve the same purpose?

 

@crunchman12001

 

9295B5FD-F82D-44C4-96C2-8CB041F76C58.jpeg

57B0B4F1-0881-4D92-9F69-79F2EDD60DD3.jpeg

05113CC4-EDF5-4884-B96E-64C00DABA2A9.jpeg

3D35EE35-B34E-4C18-9658-F980B2853A1C.jpeg

5092F573-C28E-4105-8DE5-7AF9A07329CA.jpeg

DF996ED4-ADC1-41C5-8CC6-B9FE7599626E.jpeg

26B1B3CD-1F12-401E-96B9-AB3A0167C521.jpeg

791C1854-D68F-4BF9-8D94-3D05118775FE.png

39FBE852-3695-4E23-AB6D-500779B8E486.jpeg

19C60351-50C1-432B-935D-F955B5EDBD1D.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had many of the 63 / 64 drivers as far I can tell with the naked eye they are exactly the same other than cosmetic differences, and I've seen the same color variation on the same model drivers as well so not limited to the number stamped on the magnet. 

 

Of course @Chief bonehead surprised me with the k-79 having a smaller gap than the k-75 (they also appear identical) so there could be a difference? Hopefully he can chime in on this one. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Micklipsch said:

KV4 and CF2 both use K-64-KN but in varying metal colors and with or without screen. I’m curious if there’s ANY difference here other than aesthetics. 
 

Same horn. 

 

@crunchman12001

 

 

 

Unfortunately, the number of revisions made to the CF line complicates this line of questioning... Obviously changes were made to nearly EVERY aspect of this line over it's brief existence but what was the difference from one rev to another and what was the purposeful/functional difference between a 63 and a 64, only a Klipsch employee/engineer can/could say.

 

Until something is said, I stand by all of my previous statements...  It makes ZERO sense to me, from a production/manufacturing stand point to have 2 different drivers and most of what I see in Klipsch pattern of parts usage says it likely wouldn't make sense to them either. Klipsch likes reusing parts and that's generally a good business practice. 

 

Example: The K52 is the same K52 used in a slew of Heresy's, Cornwall's, Quartet's, Forte's, Chorus', KI/KP?KPT Models... over MANY years. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, CANT said:

 

Unfortunately, the number of revisions made to the CF line complicates this line of questioning... Obviously changes were made to nearly EVERY aspect of this line over it's brief existence but what was the difference from one rev to another and what was the purposeful/functional difference between a 63 and a 64, only a Klipsch employee/engineer can/could say.

 

Until something is said, I stand by all of my previous statements...  It makes ZERO sense to me, from a production/manufacturing stand point to have 2 different drivers and most of what I see in Klipsch pattern of parts usage says it likely wouldn't make sense to them either. Klipsch likes reusing parts and that's generally a good business practice. 

 

Example: The K52 is the same K52 used in a slew of Heresy's, Cornwall's, Quartet's, Forte's, Chorus', KI/KP?KPT Models... over MANY years. 

 

 

I’m with ya here brother. One could author a chronology on what took part these couple of years. 
 

I agree with you on the last bit especially. This is common sense manufacturing practice nearly across the board. We see it in auto manufacturing a lot, for example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2019 at 6:05 PM, crunchman12001 said:

The silver plate in the center of the driver is a cover for the magnet disk. I do not have a depth gauge so my measurement is not exact but the hole is almost twice as deep on the K-64-KN as it is on the K-63-KN. The K-63-KN has a thicker magnet that provides greater output. I will not mention names without permission but it has been confirmed.

Then again, given what crunchman’s talking about, and since there’s at least a shred of legitimacy here, and given the ease of swapping the diaphragm assemblies without dealing with the diaphragm directly, I’d go ahead and drop the K-64 assembly into the K-63. My due diligence meter would demand it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:15 PM, Micklipsch said:

Then again, given what crunchman’s talking about, and since there’s at least a shred of legitimacy here, and given the ease of swapping the diaphragm assemblies without dealing with the diaphragm directly, I’d go ahead and drop the K-64 assembly into the K-63. My due diligence meter would demand it. 

Wise man.... Trust me, per 2 Klipsch employees, the magnets are different as I mentioned above, just swap the diaphragm / phase plug assemblies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...