x7i developed unusual audio distortion effect

simonlucas

I am using Klipsch x7i. Apple iPod. I noticed in the last couple of weeks that some tracks on my iPod have developed a strange audio effect.

Symptom:

Indistinct, muddy, reduced frequency range with a reverb sound that makes them sound like poor live recordings. Some tracks start even with intermittent response.

I have now found new tracks with the sound effect, but many play normally

What I did to trouble-shoot

I replaced the tracks with new m4a files (not the same files, newly compressed versions). 

I quit the player and rebooted the iPod.

I made sure all EQing was still turned off.

– the sound files sound the same as before

I listened to the files with another  pair of over-the-ear headphones, they sounded clear and as normal.

I played some files on my iphone with the X7i's – they had the same audio problem

All this suggests th eX7i's  headphones are creating this effect. Could this be possible? Could it be a problem with the mic feeding back?

Any ideas, please? thank-you.

Edited by simonlucas
fixed

• 2 weeks later...

I have more insight into this. Today I played 'Who Loves The Sun', from Loaded but The Velvet Underground. I cannot hear the main vocals. I can hear the chorus but the main vocal is almost entirely absent except in a kind of faint microscopic way. This also happens on the following song. The fact that this happens on both channels is strange - but it says to me that the error is not in the drivers.

And I repeat that the problem disappears if I change headphones.

These earphones are out of warranty, but I wonder whether there is a simple explanation - or even fix?

On 25 August 2017 at 4:36 PM, Edgar said:

I have encountered this with headphones when the plug was not fully inserted into the jack.

I have also encountered this with headphones when the common ground wire was broken.

Edgar, thank-you for your reply. The plug is definitely seated correctly, but I think your ground wire insight sounds like a good lead. I will try and replace the plug. I hope the break is near it and maybe I can get some more life out of the earphones. Again, thank-you.