Klipsch vs Cerwin Vega?

absolve2525

3 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

Never heard CV but they are readily available here.

The most frequent comment about them is that the new line of speakers sound better than their previous line, and the previous was pretty bad.

Anyway, CV speakers are placed in lower grade category with Magnat and such.

"Never heard CV"..... Yet all new Klipsch lack midrange... And aren't good for music.

12 hours ago, Futurist said:

Do NOT buy any new Cerwin Vega!!!.... Those may be big and powerful looking but not good sounding.. And you need a amp to power them..

Just because the say Cerwin Vega on them doesn't mean they sound like Cerwin Vega.. They were taken over by Gibson Guitars awhile ago and now make crap..

If you want some killer speakers by them look into the D-5, or D-9.. I think the D-5 is amazing!... I call it the poor mans Klipsch Forte. It's a 150 watts and ton of bass and super crisp high end.. And people will tell you the DX series is good.. It isn't even close.. If you get the D-5 you won't be sorry.. I also have D-9 with 15 inch woofers and it's 355 watts.. super powerful!.. And they make lots of replacement parts and you can refoam and recone them.. the D-5's are the small ones in the middle and will blow away anything new by CV.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 8.36.58 PM.png

I agree. I spent alot of time listening to the clsc-215's my buddy had and I wasn't impressed at all. Ya they have 2 15' woofers but they are cheesy. The Chorus's I had at the time sounded much better and the Cornscala's I now have would stomp these with a single 15.

I had a pair of  the CV Model 2000-15's about 10 years ago which I will say that, for Cerwin Vega, sounded pretty good.  They were a departure from the D and DX series and they made only 3 models in the series; 2000-10, 2000-12, & 2000-15.  The 2000-15 had a single 15" woofer, six midrange drivers and a single tweeter in a D'Appolito array.  Very nice cabinets, too.  I used to have a thread with pictures of them on AK but with Photobucket's change, those pictures don't show.  

Not my pictures but this is what they (2000-15's) looked like.  

Image result for cerwin vega model 2000-15

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Going to have to call......:pwk_bs:

I wasn't that clear on what I meant.. The RF 82's and all the ones just like them pretty much zero midrange!... Of course klipsch forte have midrange but you have to spend over $4,000 in order to have music sound good.. Please tell me which ones without having to spend $4,000  have midrange??????

• Moderators

I don't do the Rf's and I haven't bought new so I haven't looked at it like that.   Except a pair of RB 75's I got cheap and I gave them to my daughter.

But our 2 ch has midrange and since I built the bass bins and bought the rest used it was under $4k, 4 MWM singles with 402 horn, bi amped and active crossover. .......best I have ever heard

Also I won a pair of Cornwall lll's, they have good mid range, 6 used forte's one pair of ones and 2 pair of the ll version, both have mid range. And a couple pair of Hersey's 1 and 2's.

Now what I consider good midrange may not to you ? So it's just another opinion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Futurist said:

I wasn't that clear on what I meant.. The RF 82's and all the ones just like them pretty much zero midrange!... Of course klipsch forte have midrange but you have to spend over $4,000 in order to have music sound good.. Please tell me which ones without having to spend $4,000  have midrange??????

My CF-3's have great midrange as do all in the Epic series, KLF series, Heritage line, etc.  I know nothing about RF stuff or any of the Best Buy line so I can't comment there.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Futurist said:

What exactly are you talking about?

Garyrc, I stand corrected!

What a difference a few days and fate can make.

I get paid weekly, but budget monthly and this is a five payday month! A little overtime and modest utilty bills in the summer has afforded me the opportunity to dive into the realm of folded horn woofers!

I brought home a pair of '92 LaScala's today and simply put - I am blown away by the bass! And that's not the least of it!

They "may" not go as low as my Cornscala's (they sound REAL close after equalization), but they hit HARD!

I am astonished by the clarity and PUNCH of these LaScala's in my modest system.

I do not find the stock AL-3 crossovers and K401's harsh in the slightest. And the K-77's shine in this pair.

I went A/B, side to side, four speakers abreast, with my "Cornscala's" and "Chorwall 2's" and they PALED in comparison!

They are as revealing, if not more than my Forte II's, but have a presence substantially larger than my modded Cornwall 2's with the tractrix K603 midrange horns, K-107-ti tweeters, and new crossovers.

In fact, I am using my Cornscala's for "Atmos" duty now... LOL!

IMG_1472.JPG

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I haven't heard too much reference stuff, but I have heard @Youthman's RF7 II speakers in 2 channel and they sounded fantastic. I really want to find a pair to A+B against my klf30s

Night and Day.....

My opinion is the KLF30 should be resurrected with some minor tweaks to the crossover and possibly a Ti tweeter.  Bad part is for Klipsch to do that, if the Forte is 3k+, the KLF would need to be 5K, and thus out of my price range.

So for those in the know, what is the major difference between the XLS and CLS series?  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 1:24 PM, absolve2525 said:

Klipsch fan here, just wondering if anyone has heard CVs like the XLS 215s? They definitely look interesting! I think the previous version of the big model got some positive reviews. I'm just curious how their sound compared to bigger Klipsch?  

xls215.jpg

I used to own a 7 channel surround system consisting of seven Cerwin Vega CLS-215 speakers. They put out the deepest, smoothest bass I've heard from any speaker. With that being said,their lack of midrange clarity was their weakness and their hf extension was decent but not great.

I have also heard the XLS 215. They are tuned higher so they do not have the low bass performance of the CLS 215 and their midrange is not defined.

525x525px-LL-768fb3c5_vbattach189192.jpeg

• 7 months later...

I bought a pair of Cerwin Vega  XLS 215's today. I pick them up tomorrow. In addition I own a pair of Cornwall 3's. Both sets of speakers will be powered by my Mark Levinson 532h. I will post my comparisons in the next couple of weeks.....Cv's with dual 15's will move some air...stay tuned 

While they probably are decent speakers, I'd be bothered by the

thin cabinet. The review said they're probably 1/2 inch.

I have a set of entry level Klipsch with cabinets just like this.

For a big speaker--even for mine, the cabinets really need to be thicker

to stop all the resonance from any frequency played through them.

I have another set of large speakers from another major manufacturer 

and the cabinets are much better that on my Klipsch thus the sound is better

especially for controlling unwanted resonance.

If you are going to build a big speaker, don't cheap out on the cabinet.

On 8/26/2017 at 9:32 PM, geoff. said:

Garyrc, I stand corrected!

What a difference a few days and fate can make.

I get paid weekly, but budget monthly and this is a five payday month! A little overtime and modest utilty bills in the summer has afforded me the opportunity to dive into the realm of folded horn woofers!

I brought home a pair of '92 LaScala's today and simply put - I am blown away by the bass! And that's not the least of it!

They "may" not go as low as my Cornscala's (they sound REAL close after equalization), but they hit HARD!

I am astonished by the clarity and PUNCH of these LaScala's in my modest system.

I do not find the stock AL-3 crossovers and K401's harsh in the slightest. And the K-77's shine in this pair.

I went A/B, side to side, four speakers abreast, with my "Cornscala's" and "Chorwall 2's" and they PALED in comparison!

They are as revealing, if not more than my Forte II's, but have a presence substantially larger than my modded Cornwall 2's with the tractrix K603 midrange horns, K-107-ti tweeters, and new crossovers.

In fact, I am using my Cornscala's for "Atmos" duty now... LOL!

IMG_1472.JPG

When I see pics like this I just have to shake my head at what the sound must be. So many things wrong, hard to know where to start.

Shakey

• Like 1