Klipsch vs Cerwin Vega?

absolve2525

A friend of mine had the Cerwin Vega clsc -215's wich looks the same as those. For Cerwin Vegas they sounded decent. At the time I had a Pair of Chorus 1 and much preferred the sound of them but never did a direct comparison in the same room. The Chorus sounded more alive, and had better bass to my ears. I thought the bass of Vegas was weak for having 2 15' woofers.

read the review by Robert E. Green. Mr. Green is a very solid and respected reviewer and he comes from a long time of using Electrostats which to me makes the review he did on the Vega even more impressive. I would love to hear a pair of these, dual fifteens will crush a single fifteen.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tested-cerwin-vega-cls-215-loudspeaker/

I sold my CLSC-215's shortly after buying my FIRST pair of Cornwall's (84's with the B-3 crossover).

I had AT-12's (four of them), HED103's, D-3's and D-5's prior to the CLSC-215's. I also had a pair of HP-215's (2-way dual 15") in the other corners with the CLSC-215's. It was overkill in a 12 x 20 livingroom, but it had to be done. 300 watts RMS to each front and 150 watts to each back!

The bass was without question lower with the CLSC 215's, but the midrange was UNBEARABLE after hearing the Cornwall's.

No subwoofer was required and that is why I bought them. In phase bass from the same motorboard as the rest of the audio spectrum hits hard. 

For several months after I bought the CV's I wondered why my kids always opened all the doors on EVERY cabinet in the main floor washroom... 

It was the BASS from a spirited listening session!

The Cornwall's will do the same thing, ... I just don't blame the kids anymore.

I fully believe if Klipsch made a dual 15 inch "Chorus III" it would set the record straight.

I have yet to hear ANY single woofer speaker that hits like the dual configuration.

IMG_0411.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. I've had a few pairs of large CVs over the years also. I still have a couple pairs of DX9 in storage, which were later versions of the D9. Really fun speakers. I wonder if the latest version of their big model has improved over the recent versions. I still like the Klipsch sound, with compression drivers for the mids and highs. I always thought about setting some big EV horns on top of the CV boxes, and just using the CV woofer sections for the lows. I still might try that some day... It would be cool to hear the new CVs, not sure if they have local dealers anymore? 

When I purchased my RP-280f's it came down to them and the CV SL-12's.  I had some D9's back in the day and LOVED 'em.  I think it came down to the Klipsch having a better mid range and the fact that my listening preferences may have matured a bit.  Not to say that I don't crank these RP-280's, because I do.......and they sound GREAT!

• Like 1

Hmm....  I may need to find out who the rep/distributor is for the south and see if I know them.  Might try to pick up a pair for cost and just see how they do.  I doubt I'd lose any money on them.  They seem to be getting surprisingly good reviews.  Although, reviews from some can always be questionable.

Looks like they've been made for about 10 years or more.  I guess it's the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/cerwinvega_cls215.htm

On 8/18/2017 at 5:06 PM, moray james said:

read the review by Robert E. Green. Mr. Green is a very solid and respected reviewer and he comes from a long time of using Electrostats which to me makes the review he did on the Vega even more impressive. I would love to hear a pair of these, dual fifteens will crush a single fifteen.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tested-cerwin-vega-cls-215-loudspeaker/

High praise from TAS!

On 8/18/2017 at 2:08 PM, geoff. said:

I have yet to hear ANY single woofer speaker that hits like the dual configuration.

Under the right circumstances, I'll bet a Klipschorn would do it.  Without a subwoofer, my Khorns create a breeze in the room that can flap pants legs 15 feet away with the timpani, bass drum, and Tam-Tam on "Fanfare for the Common Man."  Back when I had an ordinary work table instead of a solid desk, that same piece of music would temporarily throw it out of square.  Copland's "Third Symphony" is just as good, with some extra impact, as is practically any Mahler symphony, or "The Great Gate of Kiev," given just the right recording.  With both music and movies, I sometimes turn off the sub, set the Khorns on "Large" and just let them do their thing.  They are cleaner and more precise than my sub, even though they don't reach as deep.  When the car goes through the fence in Mr. and Mrs Smith, it feels like someone slugged me in the shoulder.  The incident toward the beginning of The Grey was positively frightening and the big battle in Hacksaw Ridge hit just about as hard as I've ever been hit.

In his review of the Klipschorn in Audio, Heyser mentioned that there was nothing like horn loaded bass to capture percussive bass, like a car door slamming.  Cerwin Vega themselves illustrated that with their big horn loaded theater shakers they brought in for the Sensaround showings of Earthquake and Midway.

Would horn loaded dual woofers do it better?  I would guess so, with the right design, but in a room less than about 8,000 cubic feet, the Khorns would be sufficient.  I heard Khorns demoed once in a big, acoustically treated warehouse, along with other speakers.  The other speakers, including one with two 15" speakers per cabinet, wimped, comparatively.  Now, in the old 70mm Todd-AO equipped theaters, the big four 15" woofer horn loaded JBLs times 5 channels behind the screen did alright. 

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Gary, have you heard a well set up pair of Jubilees yet?

Bruce

No, but I would like to someday.  I know their rep, and I've seen the curves run by Delgado and Klipsch comparing the two woofer sections, and the Jubilees look significantly better to me.  Since they both benefit from horn loading, I'd bet on the Jubilees.  They should have kept them in the regular Klipsch Heritage line, with a walnut veneer on the bass bin, and perhaps some kind of grille over the mid/high horn.  I think the absence of brick and mortar audio stores to demo speakers is derailing the Adam Smith market check on quality in audio (you can't taste the fruit at the fruit stand, so to speak).  I'd like to see demo sites around the country, like AR used to have in Grand Central Station.

I never cared for the CW sound. Midrange always seemed muddy, highs not clear and just too much bass for most music. In a A/B comparison my Infinity SM-152's sounded much better with a 320 wpc Kenwood amp blowing through them than the CW's. Also had the Bose 901's in that same room and sounded worse than the CW's. My Infinities are still kicking today and side by side the Klipsch sound better in every way. The Heresies need a hand in the bass department so I have them paired with subs, but the KLF series are hands down winners.

I'm a big vintage Infinity fan. They definitely made some great speakers. I can't say I'm surprised that KLF were winners, though. I've never heard that series of Infinity, but I see them for sale fairly often on Craigslist. They must have sold a lot of them. Big CVs sell pretty quickly around here. Klipsch too, if course. 

• Like 1

Do NOT buy any new Cerwin Vega!!!.... Those may be big and powerful looking but not good sounding.. And you need a amp to power them..

Just because the say Cerwin Vega on them doesn't mean they sound like Cerwin Vega.. They were taken over by Gibson Guitars awhile ago and now make crap..

If you want some killer speakers by them look into the D-5, or D-9.. I think the D-5 is amazing!... I call it the poor mans Klipsch Forte. It's a 150 watts and ton of bass and super crisp high end.. And people will tell you the DX series is good.. It isn't even close.. If you get the D-5 you won't be sorry.. I also have D-9 with 15 inch woofers and it's 355 watts.. super powerful!.. And they make lots of replacement parts and you can refoam and recone them.. the D-5's are the small ones in the middle and will blow away anything new by CV.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 8.36.58 PM.png

• Like 1