Cell Phones Without Replacable Batteries

Pete H

I just can't understand why consumers are content with paying 500-1,000 for "smart phones" that have built in batteries that will lose life and charging ability over time, won't allow you to put in an extended battery, won't make it through a day and cause them to spend money on a new device because their battery is dead.  How stupid is that?  I can't blame the manufacturers for it when the average customer seems to be content with it.  I continue to run my Note 3 with a 10,000 milliamp battery but it's time to replace it and I know that anything I purchase is going to be NOS because of the age of the phone.  I'm hoping that the Note 8 goes back to a replaceable battery, but ultimately, I just need a fresh battery for mine as there won't be anything added to this rendition of the note that I have to have, but my phone is for business.  Until there's a demand to go back to replaceable batteries from consumers, this will continue and it appears that LG is one of  the only companies out there that is still producing devices that are removable. 

You wouldn't buy a computer, power tool, electric car, drone or other expensive items if they only had built in batteries that forced you to throw them away if the battery stopped performing, so why in the world would you do it with expensive cell phones.  What say you?

My older Samsung Note 4 (3+ yrs) has a battery that's easy to replace. I can change it in about 1min.

Your Note 3 isn't any different. You can by a replacement battery just like I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I do believe you've answered your own question - the general public is content with what is offered. So long as its the latest and greatest I.e. Apple iPhone, Samsung S---, Google, etc. is all that matters or is what is looked for. Like nearly all electrical/circuit board driven products these days it is all disposable be it a refridge, washer/dryer, etc. Maybe part of the allure of Klipsch Heritage speakers and their decades lasting design/sound?

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

My older Samsung Note 4 (3+ yrs) has a battery that's easy to replace. I can change it in about 1min.

Your Note 3 isn't any different. You can by a replacement battery just like I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Let me clarify, I have already replaced my battery with an extended life battery, actually 2x, but the last one I purchased is from stock that's been sitting around as I don't believe anyone is making new extended batteries for the note 3 at this time and the old new stock, is already compromised and won't perform because it's been sitting.  My first 10,000 battery lasted 6-7 days with normal use and went solid for 2+ years, but the last one that I purchased will only give me 2-3 days and is quickly diminishing.  I don't believe the note 8 is going back to a replaceable battery, but we'll know in about a week, and I believe the price is going to be around 1,000. 

you can replace the battery... it's just a major hassle to do so. If you've ever been inside of a modern cell phone (I have), it's a major chore because everything is absolutely minuscule... they have machined screws that are no bigger than a tip of a pencil.

My Galaxy S6 active is coming up on three years. It has a larger battery that the reglar S6, and I'm tempted to get a replacment this Fall.

I have to deal with the cell phone for specific employees where I work. We have a state contract with Verizon, so we get flip phone for free, with a per minute charge, which is cheap for us. Our transportation dept. uses those, while admins, etc., get smart phones. We can get iPhones for free and it's about $23 a month for unlimited use.

All the android phones cost us $29 - $199 with the same monthly usage rate. We hate the Apple products due to management issues. A couple of the Samsung phones have easily replaceable  batteries.

Bruce

5 hours ago, Schu said:

you can replace the battery... it's just a major hassle to do so

True.  I replaced the one on my daughters I-phone and it was a PITA.  The battery in my S5 is replaceable but even after 3 years I haven't had the need to.

Supposedly when these phones get water resistant, they get permanent batteries. I've heard claim that a phone which can be dropped in a glass of water cannot have a replaceable battery.

Are smart phones smart? For me it really is. I make money with the smart feature of my phone. On site customer database access allows locating chassis/shipping containers via GPS and the reason for an "Out Of Service" ticket at my fingertips. We do repairs on those. Usually over 400 containers on the property, so just riding around hunting doesn't really work on the 1000 acre property. Thank you smart phone. + price checks, reference, Google lookup, Google maps. Work related emails/texts on the fly. I saved 15 dollars today with my phone by checked the price of 50lbs of Kentucky 31 Fescue grass seed at a couple of locations. 

• Like 1

nobody replaces their batteries

any longer...the quick changing

phone technology...has everyone

upgrading to the new phone...

most everyone want the latest

tech....the phone company

knows it....accept some older

folks that know better...if the phone

rings and they can hear a voice..

and respond...it works...

13 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Supposedly when these phones get water resistant, they get permanent batteries. I've heard claim that a phone which can be dropped in a glass of water cannot have a replaceable battery.

Nope.  My phone is water resistant and been in my pool a bunch and has a replaceable battery.  My wife's I phone is not water resistant and has a "permanent" battery.

24 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Nope.  My phone is water resistant and been in my pool a bunch and has a replaceable battery.  My wife's I phone is not water resistant and has a "permanent" battery.

Yes....my old Brigade was waterproof, but the battery was easily replaced, took 3 seconds to get it out.

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Nope.  My phone is water resistant and been in my pool a bunch and has a replaceable battery

It gets a lot more complicated than that.

Moisture protection

IP Code Protection Test duration Usage
0 No protection N/A N/A
1 Protection against vertically dripping water 10 mins Light rain
2 Protection against vertically dripping water when device is tilted at an angle up to 15 degrees 10 mins Light rain
3 Protection against direct sprays of water when device is tilted at an angle up to 60 degrees 5 mins Rain and spraying
4 Protection from sprays and splashing of water in all directions. 5 mins Rain, spraying and splashing
5 Protection from low-pressure water projected from a nozzle with a 6.3mm diameter opening in any direction 3 mins from a distance of 3 meters Rain, splashing and direct contact with most kitchen/bathroom faucets
6 Protection from water projected in powerful jets from a nozzle with a 12.5mm diameter opening in any direction 3 mins from a distance of 3 meters Rain, splashing, direct contact with kitchen/bathroom faucets, outdoor use in rough sea conditions
7 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins 30 mins Rain, splashing and accidental submersion
8 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter (manufacturer must specify exact depth) Varies Rain, splashing and accidental submersion

The iPhone 7 ($826.00 at Amazon Marketplace) is certified with an IP67 rating, which means that it is fully protected from dust (6) and can also withstand being submerged in 1m (about 3.3 feet) of static water for up to 30 mins (7). Then there is the Samsung Galaxy S7 ($338.65 at Amazon.com), which is rated IP68. This means that like the iPhone 7, the Galaxy S7 can withstand being submerged in static water, but the specific depth and duration must be disclosed by the company, which in this case is 1.5 meters (about 5 feet) for up to 30 minutes.

Not too complicated, right? Unfortunately it's not all cut and dried. Devices aren't required to pass every test leading up to the highest rating they achieve, although many companies do test them at varies levels. In some cases, however, a phone rated with IP67 may not have been tested against dust protection levels 1 through 5, or water protection levels 1 through 6.

For example, since the iPhone 7 doesn't include the IPX5 or IPX6 rating for withstanding water coming from a jet, you shouldn't take it in the shower or run it under the sink, unless Apple specifically states otherwise, which it didn't. In fact, the company has said that liquid damage isn't covered under the phone's standard warranty.

The Sony Xperia Z5, on the other hand, is certified with an IP65 and IP68 rating, which means it is protected from dust and against low-pressure water jets, such as a faucet, when all ports are closed. The company also specifies that the Z5 can be submerged in 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) of fresh water for up to 30 mins.

Water pressure

If anyone ever tells you that a watch is waterproof, it's a lie. No watch is truly waterproof, and in fact the International Organization for Standardization and Federal Trade Commission prohibit watches from being labeled as being "waterproof." While a watch may be able to withstand a certain degree of water exposure, there is always a limit to how much water pressure it can handle before it begins to leak. The term "waterproof" implies that a device will remain unscathed under even the most difficult of circumstances.

To help regulate and explain water resistance in watches, the ISO has set standards that have been adopted by many traditional watchmakers. Most smartwatches and activity trackers, however, don't actually adhere to these standards and therefore aren't ISO-certified. Consumer electronics tend to follow the IP code, although some companies, such as Garmin, Pebble and Polar, independently test their products to determine how much pressure they can withstand.

Pressure tests are measured in ATMs, which stands for atmospheres, and then converted to water depth to make the measurements easier to understand. Each ATM is equivalent to 10 meters (33 feet) of static water pressure. Below you will find a chart that outlines that basic water-resistance levels.

Water pressure

Water Ratings Protection Usage
1 ATM Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 10 meters (33 feet) Improved resistance to rain and splashes. No showering or swimming.
3 ATM Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 30 meters (98 feet) Rain, splashing, accidental submersion and showering. No swimming.
5 ATM Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 50 meters (164 feet) Rain, splashing, accidental submersion, showering, surface swimming, shallow snorkeling
10 ATM Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 100 meters (328 feet) Rain, splashing, accidental submersion, showering, swimming and snorkeling. No deep water scuba diving or high-speed water sports.
20 ATM Withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 200 meters (656 feet) Rain, splashing, accidental submersion, showering, swimming, snorkeling, surface diving and water sports. No deep water diving.

Unfortunately, because there is no universal testing method, real-world usage is different for every device. For example, while the Garmin Forerunner 735XT ($449.99 at Amazon.com) has a water resistance rating of 5 ATM, Garmin states that the watch can be worn both in the shower and while swimming. Fitbit, on the other hand, recommends Surge users to remove the device before swimming, despite being rated 5 ATM.

It should also be noted that even though 3 ATM is rated for a certain depth, that depth is measured in static pressure. Water pressure can change quickly, such as when you move your arm to begin swimming. While you may only be in 10 feet of water, the pressure created from your arm movement could be equal to that of a couple of ATMs.

As Garmin explains on its website, "Even if a device is above a depth it's rated for, it might still suffer water ingression if it is subjected to an activity that creates pressure on it that exceeds that depth rating."

Sponsored
Upgrade to iPhone

Upgrade to the latest iPhone starting from $32.41/mo. for 24 mo.

Sponsored by Apple

As I said earlier, it's not all cut-and-dry. You should check the device's website and see what the company recommends before taking a smartwatch or fitness tracker in the shower or the pool.

Things to remember

• Most resistance testing is performed in fresh water. Devices aren't guaranteed to hold up to salt water, unless specifically stated from the manufacturer.
  • While showering with IP-rated devices isn't recommended, the device won't break if you forget to take it off. The device could begin to leak and become damaged with continued exposure however, and water damage may not be covered under the warranty.
  • Unless otherwise specified, most tests are carried out at temperatures between 15 and 35 degrees Celsius (60 to 95 Fahrenheit). Higher temperatures in places like saunas, steam rooms and hot tubs could damage the device. For example, the Pebble has been tested to work within the temperature range of -10 to 60 degrees C (14 to 140 F).
  • For obvious reasons, leather watchbands are not water-resistant.
  • Make sure all flaps (such as those for charging ports) are closed before submerging your device.
  • Unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer, you should avoid pressing buttons on the device while it is underwater. This could allow water to enter into the casing and damage the device.
  • Make sure the device is completely dry before charging it.
  • Always refer to the manufacturer's website before taking a phone, smartwatch or fitness tracker in the shower or the pool.