Chorus II or Forte II? Help me decide!

NowBlasting

So a pair of Chorus II's and Forte II's have popped up locally. Seller is asking $400 for the Forte II's and the other seller is asking $800 for the Chorus II's w/ Crite's tweeters. I currently have Heresy II's. I've also thought about getting brand new Heresy III's...I can't make up my mind. I'm running a Parasound Halo Integrated and listen to all genres...favoring hip-hop and metal. I will attach some pictures of the speakers for sale and my space as well. Now let me get those opinions! Thanks!

IMG_8564.jpg
Full_Size_Render.jpg
IMG_8595.jpg
IMG_8597.jpg
IMG_8598.jpg
IMG_8599.jpg
IMG_8600.jpg
IMG_8601.jpg
IMG_8602.jpg

I have a pair of chorus 2 with the crites upgrade and love them!

I, at one time had a set of forte 2.... See where I am going here...

$400 for a pair of Forte 2 is a very good price. $800 for the chorus is fair all depending on condition of course. I would try both and feel confident that you can sell one off when you make your decision. 

Dan

I was fortunate enough to be able to A+B compare forte II and chorus II speakers. They sound almost identical since they share the same midrange driver/horn and both had Crites titanium tweeters. The chorus II speakers produced a bigger sound. The efficiency was nearly identical with the chorus II speakers having a slight advantage (surprisingly barely noticeable). Price aside, chorus II is a better speaker. The bigger sound will put a smile on your face. The condition will dictate what you should spend on either.

• Like 3

I'm retired now and have had all the heritage series except the belles and dont post much anymore.  I have owned both forte i &ii and chorus i and ii.  Kids left home and we moved back home and downsized my system.  The size and shape of what i guess is your listening room .... i see the heresies tells me you would love

either the fortes or chorus over the hlll.  My room is about the same.  400 for forte 2 in good cond as is 800 for the chorus 2s are fair prices   Cond makes the diff but i kept the chorus ii.  Mine have the crites diaphragms and updated xovers.  Put about 30 watts of good tube power behind them and youll be a happy soul.  

Im just an old fart who followed the klipsch obsession and realized what id already needed i had years ago.   Its a trip id take again in a heartbeat.   

• Like 1

Pound for pound ....dollar for dollar.....It is hard to beat the Forte II's...They bottom out at 32Hz....The Chorus II's bottom out at 39Hz

I currently have both...If offered enough money you could probably get me to sell my Forte II's....But I will never sell my Chorus II's.

And I currently have 2 pair of Chorus II's.....Seriously ....buy both.....

George

11 minutes ago, LalaWoots said:

Buy both and sell the pair you least like and also have fun in the process.

Always the best advice if that is a viable option. I'm somewhat biased in that I love the Chorus series I and II but the forte is an awesome speaker as well. Both have their strengths and a number of variables could easily lead one to prefer one over the other including room acoustics, type of music, size of room, how loud you listen, source material and on and on, which is why its best to try both if possible. Either option should be a nice step up from what you have.

PS: In case my vote wasn't clear I'd say Chorus II if I had to pick one.

8 hours ago, unclefred said:

With a -3hz response at 39hz you are still probably getting in room audible response in the high twenties. Not to mention the the 15 inchers pounding.

reflex speakers (this includes passive radiators as well they are the same) roll off at 12 db per octave below the system resonance point. The Forte is all ready minus 3db at 39 Hz and the resonant point is above that so any output in the upper 20 Hz range is going to be very very low in level not what one would consider useful output. You can add some weight to the passive to tune it to resonate at a lower frequency and that will get you usable output into the upper twenty Hz. range. I have done this on two sets of Forte ll as well as on a set of Quartet with excellent results.

• Like 2

My son (dtr20)  had a pair of forte 2 and I have a pair of chorus 2. My son also has a pair of cornwalls. Out of the 3 , I like my chorus 2 the best. The forte and the chorus sound very close but I give the nod to the chorus , they fill the room more.

So I just picked up the Fortes. He wasn't able to audition them and everything looked ok except the passive radiator has a couple small cuts in it..and a hole in the foam but I bought them anyways. $300. Along with the holes in the radiator BOTH tweeters are fried! Man, I'm 0-3 now with buying used Klipsch can't catch a break and I can't trust anyone's word. Lame.

IMG_8612.JPG

Before you ever go to look at another speaker do this. I have and it works very well. Go buy a $38 lepai amp from Parts Express. Add to that a small AC inverter that plugs into your vehicle power point or cigarette lighter. Next time someone says they can't play them you just hook up the Lepai from your vehicle and have enough power to check things out for big problems like drivers being fried. $100 spent will prevent anyone from ever hiding behind I cant play them from ever happening to you again. A wall outlet works just fine too and it has a USB port so load your flash drive with test music and have at it.

• Like 2

Call Bob Crites and order a set of titanium tweeter diaphragms for $54 plus shipping. I would recommend this even if your tweeters weren't fried. You can get the passive reconed for around $80-100 from Midwest speakers. Congrats on your purchase, now to pick up the chorus II speakers! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Call Bob Crites and order a set of titanium tweeter diaphragms for $54 plus shipping. I would recommend this even if your tweeters weren't fried. You can get the passive reconed for around $80-100 from Midwest speakers. Congrats on your purchase, now to pick up the chorus II speakers! 

Do people recommend doing the midrange also? I should be able to get both passive's done locally for about $120...

1 hour ago, NowBlasting said:

Do people recommend doing the midrange also? I should be able to get both passive's done locally for about $120...

Unless the midranges don't work I wouldn't replace them. I thought mine didn't work so I ordered the replacements only to to find it was the crossover causing the issue. The replacements both failed in about 2 months so I reinstalled the originals with no problems.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Md5150 said:

Unless the midranges don't work I wouldn't replace them. I thought mine didn't work so I ordered the replacements only to to find it was the crossover causing the issue. The replacements both failed in about 2 months so I reinstalled the originals with no problems.

Sounds good. I ordered a fresh pair from Crites. I'll just swap out my Heresy II's diaphragms for now. Did you mess with your Forte II crossovers?

23 minutes ago, NowBlasting said:

Sounds good. I ordered a fresh pair from Crites. I'll just swap out my Heresy II's diaphragms for now. Did you mess with your Forte II crossovers?

Sorry I wasn't clear, I don't have fortes I have Chorus 2. I have Crites crossovers and titanium tweeters in them now. I had good luck with everything except the midrange diaphragms.

• Like 1