Chorus II or Forte II? Help me decide!

NowBlasting

20 minutes ago, Md5150 said:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I don't have fortes I have Chorus 2. I have Crites crossovers and titanium tweeters in them now. I had good luck with everything except the midrange diaphragms.

I believe the crossover has to be tweaked in order to have titanium diaphragms for the mids. The Chorus II's I mentioned in this post apparently have the Crite's tweeters and crossovers as well. 

there is an ad on filter section from Klipsch the design of which is on line intended to smooth out the top range response when the ti mid diaphragm has been dropped into a loudspeaker originally designed to use the phenoic diaphragm. I have installed the ti mid into my late model Heresy into Fort and Forte ll and into KLF20 and did not find the additional filter was required. I also own Heresy 3 so I do know what this additional filter sounds like. Many seem to think the speaker will not work if yo install ti diaphragm into the mid without this network and that is not the case it is a hi frequency filter intended to smooth a bump at the upper end of the ti mid diaphragm. There is no reason that you cannot install a set of ti mids and evaluate for yourself. You can choose to include the additional filter at any time. the sonic benefits of jumping up to the ti mid diaphragm are not small. the H3 and the CW3 both use the ti mid and while I am not 100% sure I would expect that the new Forte3 also uses the ti mid diaphragm all of those loudspeaker would be using the add on filter for the ti mid. 

39 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I remember talking to Bob Crites and he mentioned that he had an issue where the titanium mid-ranges were going bad and out was because the crossover needed to be modded (I believe this was the case). 

I have not had one ti mid failure in all the time mine have been installed nor have I  heard a of a problem form any of the people to whom I recommended this mod to nor read of this on line. I would however appreciate Bob's comments if this is a problem that he has identified and he happens to be following this thread. Thanks DTR20 for mentioning this.

I have included a copy of Bob's own measurement of the ti Vs phenolic diaphragms. As you can see this is not really a bump in the response rather it is simply a more extended response and that added to the tweeters output will generate a bit of a bump but that bump is very high up in harmonics only territory over 8KHz.. I do not find this to be objectionable and have found undamped physical resonances to be more problematic. 

Klipsch tio mid diaphragm.jpg

12 hours ago, Dave A said:

Before you ever go to look at another speaker do this. I have and it works very well. Go buy a $38 lepai amp from Parts Express

I'll go one further.  Try this Dayton Audio amp for $25 (usually $34).  I've owned a couple of them and I use them for testing and for running a TV speaker system with Overnight Sensations.  The sound is fantastic for such a little 15 wpc amp.  In addition to AC power, it runs on batteries.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-ac-dc-battery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

300-380_HR_0.jpg

On 8/21/2017 at 0:27 PM, NowBlasting said:

Do people recommend doing the midrange also? I should be able to get both passive's done locally for about $120...

I've seen nice oem used ones on eBay at a decent price. I don't know if there are any listings at the moment but it's worth checking. I would query under "klipsch passive" and take it from there.