Dayton Planar Horn Tweets on LaScala

jwgorman

2 hours ago, jwgorman said:

Thanks for posting that! I called and they refunded me the difference. Free shipping too! I think it's providence! You have no choice now :)

I have always had good experiences with PE. I do worry a little that the planars taper off in the mid and high teens, however that would be the opposite of what I have now.

@John Albright I took some measurements of the frequency response as of today without all of the padding around the DE120.

full range and individual drivers.jpg

I did not reset everything when I setup the measurement gear so the actual db reading may be higher. However these measurement s were all made together so the important part is the rising response of the tweeter by comparison to the other drivers. I'm still pretty new to REW, but it is an amazing program. The fact that it is free is even better.

• 9 months later...

It took quite a while but at last I got myself a pair of the Daytons as well. I have nor listened extensively, but first impressions are very positive indeed. In my rig they replaced the JBL 2404H and I find them a bit more refined in tone and more differentiated and when it comes to instrumential and vocal timbres. Also they seem to make the sound bigger like stated somewhere above. So far I am impressed - and I am running them vertically.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dubai2000 said:

It took quite a while but at last I got myself a pair of the Daytons as well. I have nor listened extensively, but first impressions are very positive indeed. In my rig they replaced the JBL 2404H and I find them a bit more refined in tone and more differentiated and when it comes to instrumential and vocal timbres. Also they seem to make the sound bigger like stated somewhere above. So far I am impressed - and I am running them vertically.

I would not cross them over too low. 

The OP stated he crossed them over lower than what they claim they are rated for.

Maybe that's why they went Kaput.

Thanks for the warning - not sure at which frequency the come in if the cap before the tweeter the A-network is increased by 0.47 mF but it sounds pretty good to my ears - especially string sections of classical recordings sound a lot less like reproduction in tone but more real.

7 hours ago, jwgorman said:

Hang on, who blew up the dayton planars? 

I got then to play stinking loud with the crossover I put in an earlier post.  No signs of strain or smoke here.  

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.  Didn't see it in the thread.

• Like 1

I have been listening a bit more by now and I really like those tweeters. I find them particularly strong on "timbres" - and they also made me fine-tune my crossover a bit more and I ended up with a tad more than 3uF in front of them - so thanks for mentioning them in the first place.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

They do sound good. So far I like them better than the de-120s. The Daytona are a little less harsh at points and add some three dimensionality to some passages. I was running the de-120s at -3dbs, so far I am running these at full speed. I need to build some proper mounts and align them with the mid diaphragm, but so far these are great.

• 1 year later...

The Dayton’s are great for a three way setup, the ESS AMTs will work in two a two way. ESS are my favorite. However, the leftover three way parts I have do sound great, so they will be utilized in a cornscala type setup. I just need to decide on the bass bin design.

• Like 2