Dayton Planar Horn Tweets on LaScala

jwgorman

@jwgorman and @pzannucci, you are two of the most senior forum members still active.  You're approaching two decades.

This thread is very interesting, due to the contributions of forum veterans.  @Marvel and @dubai2000, with memberships from 2001, are hot on the heels of your 1999 dates.  This kind of thread is what makes this a great place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dubai2000 said:

I have been a memeber since 2001? Wow - time has really been flying. Anyway, I agree that threads like this make this forum interesting, especially as it's easy to tweak at least the Klipsch Heritage speakers.

I'm a 2002 newbie at a mere 15 years.   I've said it before,  this is the best audio themed forum.  I also haunt diyaudio, vinylengine, AK, AVS and a few others I can't recall without checking my notes.  The Klipsch Forum is more active and has more collective expertise than any other, IME.  Sure you have to sift through some nonsense at times, but the knowledgeable helpful core is here and active.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 11:05 PM, jwgorman said:

You know, I think the only safe thing to do at this point is for you to blow in a pair and try it out. PE has a very easy return policy and a cross-check is always a good idea.

Tempting, very tempting. My DE 120s are very hot in my system.

Any more listening impressions? I recall many years ago I had the chance to listen to a Goto HF compression driver - I have never heard Heifetz's violin sound that sweet. Now I don't expect those Dayton's to be in that league, but I know that high frequencies can indded be magical.

On 08/27/2017 at 11:39 AM, dubai2000 said:

Knowledgeable and very helpful indeed. People here never made me feel stupid - no matter what I might have asked - that is a very rare thing indeed.

We'll have to try harder... ;)

• Like 1

On 8/27/2017 at 2:43 PM, No.4 said:

why not get your CT120 properly adjusted in your rig first? Bob can help you with that. Makes no sense trying something new if what you have to begin with has problems you not comparing anything of worth that way and you won't learn much as a result.

15 hours ago, moray james said:

why not get your CT120 properly adjusted in your rig first? Bob can help you with that. Makes no sense trying something new if what you have to begin with has problems you not comparing anything of worth that way and you won't learn much as a result.

These are the results of listening and measuring. Right now to make the DE 120 blend right I have 3 inches of ultra touch denim insulation placed at the bottom of the tweeter horn mouth. The ultrarouch attenuates the tweeter enough, but I think I am losing detail because the insulation is blocking part of the horn from the listening position. What do you recommend?

please note that I did not say the DE 120s sound bad, quite the opposite. They just need to be attenuated.

1 hour ago, No.4 said:

These are the results of listening and measuring. Right now to make the DE 120 blend right I have 3 inches of ultra touch denim insulation placed at the bottom of the tweeter horn mouth. The ultrarouch attenuates the tweeter enough, but I think I am losing detail because the insulation is blocking part of the horn from the listening position. What do you recommend?

please note that I did not say the DE 120s sound bad, quite the opposite. They just need to be attenuated.

There are members here who can tell you what to do to adjust the tweeter level but I am not your go to crossover guy. Bob Crites can tell you shoot him an email. I only ever dabble with xovers and even then I consult a filter guy first. You could try a small ball of cotton wool in thew throat of your horn that will provide some attenuation without messing up the wave front exiting your tweeter horns. more or less should shift the output a little either way. A hot tweeter can add perceived detail but they will tire you out over time. Most tweeters are way too hot. Good luck.

On 8/27/2017 at 4:43 PM, No.4 said:

Which crossover are you running?  What horns on the DE120s?  What does your room look like?  Curtains?  Floor? Size?  Furniture?  How are the speakers aimed vs. the walls?  I'm running DE120s on Fastrac Horns and don't think they are hot, at all.  Maybe less than K-77-Ms. 

Download this, play FM hiss through your speakers, record the response about 3 feet from the squawker and post the pic here. 

Hey Dennis. Well as I mentioned, I like them. I've run them exclusively for the past week and I think they are keepers. I'll keep the Crites B&C tweeters too. 

You know, you're welcome to stop over and take a listen. The offer of dinner and cigars extends to you too. 

And I know you've seen these LaScalas before. You set that deal up :) I did put the A55gs in and I like  those too. 

3 hours ago, John Albright said:

Which crossover are you running?  What horns on the DE120s?  What does your room look like?  Curtains?  Floor? Size?  Furniture?  How are the speakers aimed vs. the walls?  I'm running DE120s on Fastrac Horns and don't think they are hot, at all.  Maybe less than K-77-Ms. 

Download this, play FM hiss through your speakers, record the response about 3 feet from the squawker and post the pic here. 

I don't want to stray too far from the topic of this thread but...A4500 crossovers, PRV horns, eliptrac 400/PD5VH, speakers in corners toe in slightly to blend just past listening position, walls treated with roxul rockboard 80 and 2" ultrarouch panels at first reflection and beyond. 

Could be a function of the horn, not sure. Planars that might work with a slightly modified heritage "style" crossover have some solid appeal.

I am amassing quite the collection of replaced parts!

12 hours ago, No.4 said:

I am amassing quite the collection of replaced parts!

Yep, you'll have that :) 

Pretty sure DJK has two of everything. 

No4 if you experiment with them and decide to keep them, PM me. I have my table saw set up to cut out plywood bases for them, and I'll send you a pair. Conversely if you experiment with them and don't like them please post that too. I'm just one pair of ears. And I've been wrong before. Just ask my wife.