Chorus versus LaScala

CDinMB

I have LaScala Ind separates with Crites crossovers and bass drivers.  I love them but a set of Chorus came up local to me and I was wondering if they would be worth buying.  Seller is asking $850 and they look to be in good shape.  I believe they are Chorus 1 as he does not mention any series numbers.  Any opinions and experience how these two compare?   I am driving them with MC30s. Primarily, I listen at moderate levels (yelling to be heard sitting next to each other) to old rock, jazz and blues.  I am not into thumping bass but like a good sound stage and realistic sound reproduction. 

Thanks,

• Like 1

You may want to audition the Chorus before letting them pass. They are pro bass speakers in the Chorus and the bass will not disappoint, imo...Dynamic

LS, hard to beat, and worth keeping in any decision.

Edit: Whoops, a bit heavy on the price. Unless crossovers refreshed or other value added, 5+ tops.

• Like 3

I have Chorus 2s(CH2)and had LS(sold due to finacial setbacks I did not want to sell them!!!!!).  The LS midrange horn to me is better than the midrange horn on the CH1 but the bass on the CH1 is lower.    

I would stay with the LS do not buy the CH2 unless you can demo and fell to you they are better than the LS.  

" I am not into thumping bass but like a good sound stage and realistic sound reproduction. "  To me the LS will give you what you want better than the CH1 will.    

• Like 1

I asked and they are Chorus I.  They would be a rotational speaker set, for heavy bass type music or maybe the start of a new surround sound system.  It is rare that a set of Klipsch become available in little old Melbourne, Fl so I figured it was worth thinking about them.  I am not considering selling the LSIs, so not worth it unless the Chorus are a great deal.  At that price, sounds like they are probably a pass.

Thanks for the input. 

Carmen

• Like 2

Understand there. The Chorus 1 are coming back into their own now in favor and price is getting higher for them. Unless they have added value like refreshened crossovers and proof of such, I would be leary of paying over $600. Little ole Melbourne may be little to you but, it is bigger by much more than where I reside. There is a bar there that makes the best Iced Tea I have had.

That aside, they are worth the listening to but, unless they are in mintlike condition, I would pay less than the asking price and would of course keep the LS as they sound like they have value themselves as the first replier stated. The bass is the type of bass I desire, if as you may have said, rock, blues, jazz is your thing. Once a criticized and under-rated speaker, they are worth having. If able, I would audition them if not heard at near volume before. 

billybob told you that. Have had a set since 2001, and not parting with them atm.

Good fortune!

And when I say near volume, I am also talking 75 db at least.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Understand there. The Chorus 1 are coming back into their own now in favor and price is getting higher for them. Unless they have added value like refreshened crossovers and proof off such, I would be leary of paying over $600. Little ole Melbourne may be little to you but, it is bigger by much more than where I reside. There is a bar there that makes the best Iced Tea I have had.

That aside, they are worth the listening to but, unless they are in mintlike condition, I would pay less than the asking price and would of course keep the LS as they sound like they have value themselves as the first replier stated. The bass is the type of bass I desire, if as you may have said, rock, blues, jazz is your thing. Once a criticized and under-rated speaker, they are worth having. If able, I would audition them if not heard at near volume before. 

billybob told you that. Have had a set since 2001, and not parting with them atm.

Good fortune!

And when I say near volume, I am also talking 75 db at least.

I'll do you one more. Do not make a special trip but, up this way, welcome to listen to my setup in 2 channel with either 45 wpc or 125.

• Like 1

Both are fine speakers. I have LaScalas. Never heard Chorus. The only upside to Chorus would be the footprint but that's not a problem if you already have LaScalas. You can get Heresys for half the asking price of the Chorus and they are a good match for surrounds for the LaScalas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CDinMB said:

I love them but a set of Chorus came up local to me and I was wondering if they would be worth buying.  Seller is asking $850 and they look to be in good shape.

The average selling price for Chorus is between $600-700.  Ch-I avg $688 and Ch-II avg $629 according to my info.  A pair of Chorus was listed in the Tampa CL 8/17/17 for $650 or best offer.

Florida is one of those places that seems to have really good deals and good supply of pre-owned  Klipsch on a regular basis.

Unless Chorus speakers are your life's dream and you only have a year to live, at that $850 price point, pass.

• Like 2

I would sure like to know where you guys see all these cheap Chorus's. I have been watching and nothing anywhere within hundreds of miles from Nashville for anything even remotely close to that for about a year now. Forte's are selling for $650 around here in a heart beat. If you are including the whole United States that might be true but then the 1000 to 1400 mile round trip kind of removes the value of that "cheap" price. I would like to buy some from you if you have any for sale at the average price ;)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I would sure like to know where you guys see all these cheap Chorus's. I have been watching and nothing anywhere within hundreds of miles from Nashville for anything even remotely close to that for about a year now. Forte's are selling for $650 around here in a heart beat. If you are including the whole United States that might be true but then the 1000 to 1400 mile round trip kind of removes the value of that "cheap" price. I would like to buy some from you if you have any for sale at the average price ;)

I think this is like fishing.  You have to know where to look and get lucky on timing. I admit, I don't and just saw these on eBay and was surprised they are in my home town.  I rarely see heritage Klipsch speakers close by and I don't know going prices.  My LaScalas were not a "great deal" but were fair and I'm happy with them. I am always looking for those great deals and rarely find them. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CDinMB said:

I think this is like fishing.  You have to know where to look and get lucky on timing. I admit, I don't and just saw these on eBay and was surprised they are in my home town.  I rarely see heritage Klipsch speakers close by and I don't know going prices.  My LaScalas were not a "great deal" but were fair and I'm happy with them. I am always looking for those great deals and rarely find them. 

Like a bargain too! Sometimes I get carried away with it. If you have fungible money and end up wanting these, then who am I too say. Maybe the seller is firm or taking offers but, whatever you decide. There will always be other deals. One thing is, speaker can be damaged when moving them. Most damage seems to occur that way. Excuse my enthusiasm as others have opinions I respect here. They may not sound all that to you...

Thanks!

• Like 1

Those look alright but in black,do not fetch the higher pricetag. Top, I would maybe go 6,but, they do not look minty after viewing pics.

Afraid, I would only go 550 tops. If more like an 7 out of10 for looks, may only go $500. Too bad those not in walnut or oiled oak. And only making certain all drivers working.

Just my  limited opinion. One thing may be sure, should be no obligation to listen to them, to hear a set.

Edit: Sorry for all the yammering. Only $500 speakers to some and that includes serial number stickers being present. as see being sold at a shop. it will probably have no history from original owner(s).

Should have looked before I jumped to conclusions. I apologize!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Those look alright but in black,do not fetch the higher pricetag. Top, I would maybe go 6,but, they do not look minty after viewing pics.

Afraid, I would only go 550 tops. If more like an 7 out of10 for looks, may only go $500. Too bad those not in walnut or oiled oak. And only making certain all drivers working.

Just my  limited opinion. One thing may be sure, should be no obligation to listen to them, to hear a set.

Edit: Sorry for all the yammering. Only $500 speakers to some and that includes serial number stickers being present. as see being sold at a shop. it will probably have no history from original owner(s).

Should have looked before I jumped to conclusions. I apologize!

No worries! I appreciate the help.  I may go listen to see if I like the sound and decide if I ever want a pair to add to the LSIs. I agree with liking the wood better than black. I want to hear Chorus and Forte.  I've compared Cornwalls and Heresy to the LSI but not CH or Forte. 

• Like 1