K-55M, when to replace diaphragm's?

Hasty

I know this has probably been discussed multiple times, but when is it suggested to put new diaphragm's in a K-55M driver?   I've got a pair of 1990 LaScala's with crites 4500 xovers and CT-125 tweeters.  I've had these setting aside since about November of last year, but I'm planning on hooking them back up to something soon.  

The only issue I ever noticed was that there were slight hints of distortion on some mid-frequency piano notes played at higher volumes.   The mid-drivers have never been touched on these speakers, and these are getting close to being 30 years old.  I'm just curious if the diaphragms may be ready for some tlc.  

There are no diaphragms available for the K-55M.  I have managed to modify K-55V diaphragm to use in the K-55M, but that is a tricky procedure and probably not a good thing to do as long as yours are working.

Bob Crites

I read what you did on your web site.  I thought it looked doable if done carefully.

I guess I'm partially asking whether the diaphragms are a part that wears out.  

Is there a complete driver that is an upgrade on a LaScala?

3 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

The back plate on the K-55M has been known to get loose and vibrate. This can sound like distortion at times. A little silicone caulk will hold it in place. Quick and easy fix (IF that is the problem). Worth a try.

That's possible.  It wasn't like there's some blatant issue.  You'd never notice it 99.9% of the time.  

Yes, there is a better driver, the A-55G.  But, look into the plastic back plate on the K-55M.  It could be loose as Mookie said in his post above.  Usually that shows up as a buzz, but could possibly just cause distortion.

I have not run into a bad diaphragm on a K-55M that still worked.  On some very old K-55Vs, I have seen that they tend to loose output in the area below 1000hz.  In that case, a new diaphragm fixes them.  As they age, we may see more problems with the K-55M.  Also as they age, the plastic ring you have to reuse on the K-55V diaphragm to use it as a replacement on the K-55M gets more and more brittle.  When one breaks, not sure what the next move is.

• Like 1

If the drivers have not been apart, there's not much likelihood of debris in the magnet gap; it is very hard to over-drive a K-55 behind the autoformer, the other source of "debris".  Check the black plastic cover and be sure the red gasket between the horn and drover is still soft and red.  If not, replace and don't tighten the driver like a gorilla.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...