Want To Buy Luxman R-117 or R-115

dwillie

I am looking for a Luxman R-117 or R-115 receiver to replace my old HK 730.  

I've always had the desire to try one of these receivers, and now I have a real, genuine need (or excuse).  If anyone has one they are considering letting go, or can give me some direction to find one, please let me know.  Thanks,  dee.  

Thanks for the link Bill, and I live in western suburbs of Chicago (DeKalb).

So I really would like to find a nice R-117 because I've heard so much about them, but actually never really heard one myself.  As I recall, didn't you have one a few years back?  I believe you had some really nice words to say.  How would you sum up the sound?  My current systems are all basically vintage, and I like that.  HK 730,Luxman R-1070 and an Adcom pre, working with an old Crown DC300A II.  So again, if you have a R117, or hear about one someone might be letting go, let me know.

I had a Luxman L580 integrated amp (preamp & power amp in one box, with no tuner).  It was marvelous sounding.  Warm, "tube-like," crystal clear and detailed, with the most versatile tone controls ever.  It was the best solid state device I've had.

On 8/21/2017 at 5:29 PM, dwillie said:

I am looking for a Luxman R-117 or R-115 receiver to replace my old HK 730.

I have all 3 and can't see any reason to get rid of any of them, they're all great sounding receivers. As I type, I'm listening to Supertramp through the R117. I like the off, 1, 2 levels of loudness for the different levels of listening that the R117 offers. I blame Willland for me having the Luxmans. I've had a few other Luxman, these have a special detailed, full range sound and have some real power to back it up. The R115 sounds the same as its big brother, only less power that I don't notice very often. The one that Willland linked having the remote isn't all that common. I'll keep you in mind if I see one for sale, good luck. 

6 hours ago, dwillie said:

So I really would like to find a nice R-117 because I've heard so much about them, but actually never really heard one myself.  As I recall, didn't you have one a few years back?  I believe you had some really nice words to say.  How would you sum up the sound?

Yes I did own one as well as the R-115 and also the LV-117 integrated amp.  All had a "tube-like"(over used description) velvety midrange, with great detail, and punch.  The R-117 was the best of the lot with incredible reserves and dynamic headroom.  It never broke a sweat with anything I threw at it.  Effortless power and unlimited bass drive.  Letting the R-117 go was/is the biggest audio gear regret I have.

Bill

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Have a R-115 hooked up to my Heresy's and they sound fantastic. Im sure that the R-117 would sound the same but I really do not think that all the extra power from the 117 would be needed for any Klipsch speakers.

I bought my R-115 in 2017 with the remote, extender receiver and extra cables off CL for $125

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JjR said:

Have a R-115 hooked up to my Heresy's and they sound fantastic. Im sure that the R-117 would sound the same but I really do not think that all the extra power from the 117 would be needed for any Klipsch speakers.

I bought my R-115 in 2017 with the remote, extender receiver and extra cables off CL for $125

I beg to differ.:o:P  Wait, "needed" no, but beneficial, yes. The R-115 is a great sounding receiver and it drove my Forte's with no problem.   When I got my R-117, I was totally blown away how easily it drove anything I threw at.  It responded with authority like the 200w/ch Acurus amps I own.  Effortless is another adjective.  Headroom galore.  I knew immediately why the Luxman R-117 held "legendary" status.

Bill

• Like 1

You should try on AudioKarma. I just saw both of these on there in the same sale I'm pretty sure, and there's tons of hoarders on there that have some in their basement, or whatever. They're floating around believe me. I listened to an R-117 at a FrankenFest event (an AK meet up here in NE) that was for sale. Pretty cheap too. I should have bought it. I could have had it for just over $200. It was in great shape too. Sounded very nice. There were just too many deals though. Couldn't buy them all. Things went quick too.

I walked away with a Monster power conditioner, and a semi restored pair of Advent 5012/W's (but with the fried egg tweeter, which I like) for $120. I should have bought the 25th anniversary pair of NLA he had too. But I wasn't into the tweeter, and mine sounded much better. But just to stack I should have grabbed them. He would have took $80 for them, and they were mint. 

My point is I was blown away by the amount of stuff there. They were giving away quality stuff even. So trust me when I say. There's tons of those floating around there, and someone will give you a good deal. It's $25 to join, and you have too, to access their for sale section. Known as Barter Town, but it's totally worth it. Really great group of guys there. Almost as friendly as the people here. ;)

Oops excuse me there's something on my nose. :rolleyes: