Video Capture Reccomendations?

DiGNAN17

Here's what I want:

High quality

Reasonable price

Not a graphics card

I went on a sort of test phase last spring, seeing if I could buy a graphics card that lived up to my expectations in video acceleration as well as performing quality video captures. I didn't even like the Voodoo 3500TV for either use at all. And the ATI All-In-Wonder did lots of things but none of them too well.

I'm really looking for video capture only. I care nothing about TV reception, because I will not be using for TV at all.

So I'm not looking for a graphics card, because you can't have two running at the same time and use only one for its video capture functions. It's not possible.

Any suggestions?

------------------

FURIOS Df>c> icon100.gif

Correction, I might be looking for a graphics card if it really can live up to or out-do my current Viper V770 (non-ultra).

I know, it's a fairly old card, and Diamond doesn't even have it on their site anymore, but I still love it.

Right now, if I were to trade it in for something else, I would be looking at something like the Marvel G450 eTV from Matrox. I should also add to my previous statement by saying that TV is secondary. I want, first and foremost, a video capture card.

This looks like a good card, so tell me how you think it stacks up against the Viper.

Thanks

------------------

FURIOS Df>c> icon100.gif

Ever heard of RCA inputs? I just consider TV as secondary. I've seen cards that can display TV really well (the 3500, for example), but that card did a horrible job at capturing those images. It did okay when I just captured from another input like RCA cables to the output of a VCR.

In other words, I wouldn't be using the coax connection much, but be connecting things like video cameras.

The last ATI card I had was, I think, an AIW 32MB card, so I'm looking at the new Radeon AIW card, which is also very attractive. Thanks.

------------------

FURIOS Df>c> icon100.gif

If ur serious about video capture and editing. I recommend Pinnacle Systems DV500 capture card. $700-$800 Professional quality @ a reasonable price considering itz capabilities. http://www.pinnaclesys.com/productpage.asp?templ=9&Product_ID=18 Read the specs. and the Support/Forums for more info. and opinions. Sorry I can't give much feed back, I recently purchased one but waiting on a new Hard Drive to do a clean install.

quote:

"If we knew what we were doing then it wuld not be called research."
confused.gif

------------------

ogAkira

ogAkira is right. Pinnacle is an excellent choice. Some even include a SCSI adapter so you can connect a SCSI hard drive right to it. That way you won't lose any frames, most IDE drives can't keep up with streaming video. I have a Asus 7700 Deluxe. It is pretty decent for a video card. But a video capture board is the best, especially ones with an onboard MPEG coder.

------------------

Hytek

hytek369@hotmail.com

josta_aim.jpg