RF-83 5.0 setup vs Khorn

wvu80

I'm going to break this thread into four sections, the 5.0 setup, RF-83 vs Khorns, the RS-62's, and bi-amp.

I am of the opinion that passive bi-amping works but the sound differences are minute.  I intend to bi-amp the RF-83's with the Marantz expecting to confirm that theory.

+++

I picked up a nice RF-83 package last week for a good price.  RF-83, RC-64, and RS-62.

Power is by the Marantz SR-6011.  Thank you @jwcB)

I've got Khorns, CF-4's and some other nice speakers, but the WAF for the giant speakers is very low.  The RF-83's are much higher on the WAF scale.  After having the Khorns in the living room in a 3.1 to 5.1 configuration I didn't know if I could take less good sounding speakers.  The RF-83's probably suffer technically, but in terms of pure fun the RF-83's with their mid-slam is proving to be "good enough" and they are much nicer looking in the living room.

RF-83 package 2.jpg

RF-83 Package w grills2.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I see another sub off to the left?  Whatcha hiding over there?  LOL

That is a DIY Dayton Audio Reference 15, sealed with a 500 wpc Yung plate amp.  It's still raw MDF as I was going to try my hand at veneering, but if it stays in the living room I will paint it satin black.  The Klipsch sub in the entertainment center is the RW-12d.

I really like its sound, wonderful chest thump.  It does not dig sub-sonic but I really don't care about that.  It's got it where it counts and it will still rattle the pictures right off the wall.

RF-83 package 1.jpg

• Like 1

Exciting change good luck and let us know!  

At the highest end of HT, dudes setup subs that only play from a crossover of 40hz and down.

The benefits are that the sub can be maximized for this and the mains left to do their thing

the other benefit though is at a crossover of 40hz, it isn't playing anything above 60hz and will be impossible to locate

so you got that sweet corner loading that sub and it's only being asked to do the low end, you can optimize the boost and limits such that it's an infransonic BEAST

The RF83s can keep up with anything, so man I'm telling you it might not be perfect but I would really encourage you to try it.  leave out the 12D entirely, it couldn't really be a part of this idea as it can't play low enough with authority and would overwhelm the 30-40hz range.  But I'm curious......:)

Khorns are a big change, will be interested to hear your thoughts on music

On 8/23/2017 at 1:02 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

The RF83s can keep up with anything, so man I'm telling you it might not be perfect but I would really encourage you to try it.  leave out the 12D entirely, it couldn't really be a part of this idea as it can't play low enough with authority and would overwhelm the 30-40hz range.  But I'm curious......:)

I've always liked my 12d and even though it was considered the best of the "legitimate" low cost subs I've never heard anyone else speak very well of it.

I took your suggestion and took it out of the setup.  In addition I re-positioned the RS-62's.  My living room just won't accomodate side surrounds but where I've put them is better than where they were before, which is near the ceiling and all the way in the back.

What I had before was Khorns L/R, a really good sounding Usher MTM center, Bose 301's as surrounds, poorly placed.  Then DIY 15" sub and the RW-12d.  FYI the Bose 301's sound really good as well.  Those might have been some of the best sounding speakers Bose ever produced.

That means I currently have RF-83 L/R, RC-64 C, RS-62's poorly placed (too low, one in front of the couch R and one behind it L, and a very nice sounding DIY 15" sealed sub.

I re-ran Audyssey with the new setup and I am now reviewing some reference source material I am familiar with.  I'll report back soon with my listening impressions.  I can tell you now the re positioned RS-62's have made a huge difference in the sound, for the better.