Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Pete H said:

I've done damage assessment after Hugo, Andrew and Katrina and the things I've seen after those events was shocking to say the least. 

I really is shocking, the worst I have seen was caused by the storm surge on the Mississippi coast, only cement slabs left for more than a half a mile from the beach, it was all piled up along the raised railroad tracks a long way from the beach, giant trees stripped of every leaf from wind. We were on the coast last week, even after all these years more than half of the empty lots are still empty and many of the trees hundreds of years old are having a hard time and looks like they may never come back. Walking along the water there are still baseball size pieces of asphalt from the roads still washing back up to the beach. 

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Can you have the shipper hold the package at their location?   I doubt the shipper would even try to deliver things in the middle of a hurricane!

Yep, that is what we did. He has to go pick them up at the depot of his local UPS now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's just a matter of time before the generator cuts on, good luck with the water. 

Homeowners, flood and windstorm policies all paid up.

Ice maker has been running overtime, liquor cabinet is full and my shaker arm is ready to go.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well the news channels are calling it a category 3 now.

This from NWS

000 WTNT64 KNHC 252000 TCUAT4 Hurricane Harvey Tropical Cyclone Update NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092017 300 PM CDT Fri Aug 25 2017 ...3 PM CDT POSITION AND INTENSITY UPDATE... Corpus Christi Naval Air Station recently reported a sustained wind of 53 mph (85 km/h) with a gust to 64 mph (104 km/h). A station at Aransas Pass run by the Texas Coastal Observing Network recently reported a sustained wind of 53 mph (85 km/h) with a gust to 68 mph (109 km/h). SUMMARY OF 300 PM CDT...2000 UTC...INFORMATION ---------------------------------------------- LOCATION...27.4N 96.4W ABOUT 70 MI...110 KM ESE OF CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS ABOUT 70 MI...110 KM S OF PORT OCONNOR TEXAS MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...943 MB...27.85 INCHES $$ Forecaster Blake

Getting testy now. Wind from the north at rear of house. That side all blocked off. Watching from front porch. My garage just failed the leak test. Streaming water from the back side past sand bags thru personnel door.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Getting testy now. Wind from the north at rear of house. That side all blocked off. Watching from front porch. My garage just failed the leak test. Streaming water from the back side past sand bags thru personnel door.

Ugh.

Maybe you could summon one of your many poltergeists to put a protective spell around your house.  Is the family still there?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I'll bet you have a gas powered blender, you know, for emergencies :D

Even better a house generator, Carl must have been a boy scout, he's prepared..........they might find him holding on to a tree in the yard but you can bet the shaker will be in the other hand. :emotion-46:

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

For some reason I keep hearing a Stevie Ray Vaughan song in my head…

Texas Flood, one of my favorite songs from SRV.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, USNRET said:

Test fired generator yesterday all good. Today, no start.

I hope that's the only problem you have. :emotion-21: The kids alright, probably never seen anything like this before ?