Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

For anyone who's curious, here's a map of my locale.  

The Buffalo Bayou is our signature bayou for our city.  It runs right through some of the city's priciest real estate, all the way through Memorial, Piney Point, Hunters Creek and our renowned River Oaks subdivisions.  Going further to the East, it meanders through downtown.  Many locals refer to Houston as, "the Bayou City."

To the west, you will see Addicks Reservoir, to the north of Interstate 10, and Barker Reservoir, to the south of I-10.  As you can see from the map's scale to the bottom, right, these reservoirs are pretty large swaths of land.  They are dedicated for use as large, public parks for biking, hiking, sports and picnics.  

The dams, as shown, feed Buffalo Bayou.  There is already flooding in town along the bayou (and many, many other areas).  Flooding is also occurring upstream of the dam.  Both dams were opened last night.  More flooding will be occurring, even upstream from the dams, because the run-off from the west and beyond is overwhelming to the reservoirs, despite the fact that the dams are currently open and releasing about 5,000 cubic feet of water per second!

Untitled.png

On another thread I mentioned heading S on I 35 out of KC. About half to Wichita I see four EMT ambulances in my rear view in formation, one behind the other, no lights flashing. And they were moving. I was running around 80, I 35 is 75,  and they passed me. Had some road construction where they had to neck down to one lane and I was a couple cars behind. After the lanes opened up they were gone, must have been doing 90. This was Friday afternoon and I do believe they were heading to the Houston area and in a hurry. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Here is a Ft. Bend County Evacuation Map.  Dark red areas are under mandatory evacuation orders at the moment.  Light red areas are under voluntary "orders."

Ft Bend County Evacuation Map.png

My friends' parents house in Piney Point flooded, 10" of water in garage.  Village police had to come and carry them out and there are at.my friends at Gessner and I10, where they are dry.

They have to continue to release water into Buffalo Bayou so the levy  (?) doesn't break and flood whole town.  Criminal Courthouse is under 10' of water.

Mandatory evacuation order in Dickinson.  Seems really dumb without precise road directions.  I've looked and it is very hard to see any way out of there.  Maybe 146...I hope they are getting more precise instructions than "Evacuate" as the majority of all normal routes are impassable.  

Dave

1 hour ago, dtel's wife said:

@Jeff Matthews how are you doing over there?

Thanks for asking, Christy.  I am doing fine.  I have very close friends whose home has either already flooded or most certainly will in the next few hours.  People are being taken out of their neighborhood by boat.  Practically all the residents stayed there, so there are hundreds of homes with occupants being evacuated just in the small circle I included on the map of West Houston.  Multiply that scenario all over the Gulf Coast, and you can see that everyone here knows a close friend who is being flooded.  It's awful!

• Sad 1