Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, richieb said:

Never experienced a hurricane but when you meet one up close and personal are you then allowed to just call it Harv --?

Really not something you ever want to experience. I vividly recall wading through chest deep flood waters at five years old during Hurricane Betsy in New Orleans.  In my early teens I recall feeling my parents brick home in Slidell, LA shake on its foundation during Hurricane Camille. Evacuated for Hurrucane Katrina, but personally viewing the widespread damage is something you never forget.  

As an adult, I made the decision to evacuate our family anytime a hurricane is forecast above a CAT 1.  Dtel loves bad weather, but he never argues...we leave. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Just dropped in; yes a smidgen busy at work (launched everything that could fly) then boarding up the abode.

Staying put as I am one of the lucky 8 that must remain.

:o

Don't they have anywhere else more inland they can park those birds in the bad weather?

You know your area, but all the forecasts I saw said basically Corpus Christi was ground zero for Harv hitting landfall.  I think they said something about an 8-10 foot storm surge.  I'm no expert, but getting slammed by a 10 foot storm surge sounds like something to be avoided.

Try to stay dry, Mike, and check in when you get a chance.

41 minutes ago, richieb said:

Never experienced a hurricane but when you meet one up close and personal are you then allowed to just call it Harv --?

When you actually meet one up close and personal you'll have a few choice names for it.  Rita left us without power for 8 days and it was scalding hot out in the aftermath. 

• Like 2

Yep - I'm sure the living the experience leaves my poor sense of humor lacking. Kind of like living in KC and tornado possibilities every spring/summer. Nothing to joke about particularly when those damn things give you only minutes, not days of warning/preparation. You'all stay safe --- 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, richieb said:

Yep - I'm sure the living the experience leaves my poor sense of humor lacking. Kind of like living in KC and tornado possibilities every spring/summer. Nothing to joke about particularly when those damn things give you only minutes, not days of warning/preparation. You'all stay safe --- 

@richieb do y'all have a basement or tornado shelter?

Y'all be careful and stay safe.

I was 200 miles from the Atlantic when that Hugo bit*h wrecked this whole town. Nothing like four hours of howling wind and rain and green explosions everywhere (transformers blowing up). Crescendo to the eyewall then sunshine and trees falling.

Then seeing the other wall come towards you.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

:o

Don't they have anywhere else more inland they can park those birds in the bad weather?

You know your area, but all the forecasts I saw said basically Corpus Christi was ground zero for Harv hitting landfall.  I think they said something about an 8-10 foot storm surge.  I'm no expert, but getting slammed by a 10 foot storm surge sounds like something to be avoided.

Try to stay dry, Mike, and check in when you get a chance.

We have them staged elsewhere but someone needs to have oversight and give support to those deployed assets. One needed some parts there we had here. I have guys standing by to do what is required. This group is responsible to carry out Homeland Security's orders. It's a cool job but a heavy burden at times. Air cover over Olympic sites, hurricanes, Deep Horizon oil spill, 9/11, super storm sandy, etc, etc whatever / wherever / whenever. The wife and kiddos refused to leave me and that got ugly. Got more sand bags to fill in the morning to try to keep the stereo dry.

All is good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

@USNRET our thoughts are with you!  Keep us updated as you can!

Thanks, it'll skip off us and then get Carl and the Houston area folks. Harv is a wobbly dude. There are several penetrater assets here for the moment and they can't quite get a read on this waskerly rabbit

harvey-the-giant-rabbit.jpg

• Like 3

A fascinating storm.  I'd looked in vain for a longer term projected path and finally realized they don't have a clue.  I've seen one from NOAA showing it make a tight curve immediately after landfall and winding up right over Houston.  If it kept going it would wind up back over the gulf and then it's anybody's guess.  I've never seen one in my lifetime...or ever heard of one...doing that after Texas landfall.  I am guessing it's early enough that the Bermuda high that is typical for August is still so strong that the storm can't make the normal curve NE after landfall.  

A wascally wabbit, indeed.  Mixed emotions.  I hate destruction...but there is something compelling about riding out one of these storms I love.  Did Ike by myself and the rush of cold fear was absolutely exhilarating.  

O Rock divine, O Refuge dear,

A shelter in the time of storm;

Be Thou our Helper ever near,

A shelter in the time of storm.

We shall see.  Best of luck to all our friends and loved ones on the Texas coast.  Special bread of folks down there.

• Like 1

Not sure how direct of a hit the storm will be to the US but please stay safe everyone. I feel bad, I just shipped my HI-SM's to Laredo today and the buyer (from this forum) is in pack up mode and he was worried about receiving the speakers with the storm approaching. I hope all is well for him, and all in his way.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Will not be surprised then if we get some rain off of it...watch those pines and oaks.

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

The latest report has as much as 30" of rain in some areas. I know there has been a lot of work in regards to water/drain management, but how can any system handle that. Stay safe.