Hurricane Harvey 2017

wvu80

28 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

And I wonder if that estimate includes the many hourly workers who did not get paid because they could not get to work?  And how many businesses will shut their doors and not re-open?

The entire 2018 state budget for West Virginia is 4 billion.

I think this will be the BIG long term loss.  Businesses, people moving, changes like that.

Never know though.  How much has New Orleans dropped?

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

There seems to be a lot of volunteers helping flood victims begin the cleaning process.  Mounds and mounds of debris pulled from homes, house-after-house, block-after-block.

Good thing they are getting to it fairly quickly.  Still going to be a bunch of mold on the homes that can be salvaged but not like it would be in another week.  

This was bad enough but am glad it wasn't any worse from a life toll.  Lot of good people helping out.

@USNRET

My racquetball buddy Larry is headed to Corpus Christi, a Red Cross volunteer.

His job is to assess damage to houses via a smart phone app.  Then when the home owner applies for FEMA help the house has already been assessed and the financial help can start to flow.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, wvu80 said:

@USNRET

My racquetball buddy Larry is headed to Corpus Christi, a Red Cross volunteer.

His job is to assess damage to houses via a smart phone app.  Then when the home owner applies for FEMA help the house has already been assessed and the financial help can start to flow.

Financial help?  Are you talking about a low interest loan for the victims?

5 hours ago, Max2 said:

Financial help?  Are you talking about a low interest loan for the victims?

I think so but I'm not sure.  The victims have to go to FEMA and if FEMA or the Red Cross workers have been to the address and assessed the damage at that address then benefits can get going right away.

Larry got back to WV today.  He said his Red Cross group got a lot of work done in a short period of time.  It doesn't mean there isn't more work to do, it means Larry's tour of duty in that area is up.

13 hours ago, richieb said:

So Carl, can you give us a Cliff Notes version of the progress taking place at home and Houston. Things getting back to something resembling normal? Now that the News Vultures have found meatier prey its like it ever happened. 

Things are pretty much back to normal IF you didn't get water in your house.  Every day you still see debris trucks picking up piles of wet home and business interiors.  Single family households are now packed with temporary friends or families that have been displaced by flooding.  My neighbors across the street have their parents and in laws living with them as their houses get rebuilt.  If you were driving through Beaumont things appear back to normal until you see piles of trash in people's front yards.  Living here you realize how many people have been affected.