Sub advice

dtr20

So I am running a Cambridge soundworks psw1 master sub with a slave behind my tv stand. In the back of the room, I have a definitive technology pf18 sub. In between to the left of my mlp, I have a klipsch SW-12 II sub. I feel like I can do better than the klipsch. I picked up a velodyne 10" sub that I haven't tried. I also have access to a Sunfire True subwoofer for $200, which is a 10" driver with a 10" passive.

I have read really good things about the sunfire, but I don't have any experience with it. Of course, it was designed by Bob Carver, so that helps. I'm really just looking to get into the lower frequencies.

Any advice on replacing the klipsch sub? 

16 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I also have access to a Sunfire True subwoofer for $200, which is a 10" driver with a 10" passive.

I have read really good things about the sunfire, but I don't have any experience with it. Of course, it was designed by Bob Carver, so that helps. I'm really just looking to get into the lower frequencies.

Excellent sub for it's size.  Brute power in a smallish package.  Corner load it in a smaller room and it will dig a bit deeper using boundary gain.  Careful though or it will walk across a tile or wood floor.  IMO, much better than the Klipsch SW-12II.  IMO, for $200.00 and functioning properly it is a no-brainer.

Bill

Some of the rumble is in the sub 20 Hz zone but, you really need a big driver, lots of excursion and power.  Most 10 or 12 in. sub are not meant for serious sub 20 Hz stuff.  The are good for a good 25-30 Hz up to around 100 Hz.  This is the area of chess thumb, roar and serious impact for a film.  These drivers are cheaper, need less power and definitely have a place in some HT.  They are also great for music.