Will a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2070 be enough?

Fred V

I was unable to post on "The Klipsch Joint" Discus forum, so I will try here.  

I plan to buy a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2070 9.2 channel AV receiver. It is rated at 140 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD, with 2 channels driven. Maximum effective power is: 220 w/channel (1 channel driven).
Dynamic power: Front L/R (8/6/4/2 Ω) ...........165/210/285/405 W.
Will this receiver have enough power to drive the following Klipsch speaker setup?: RP-250F tower speakers (two); RP-450C center speaker (one); RP-250S surround speakers (two); RP-140SA Dolby Atmos speakers (four). Room size is 20ft wide x 20ft long. One wall is 10ft high and the other three are 16 ft high. Ceiling is angled and vaulted. Please advise. Thank you.

• Like 1

I would think you have way more than enough power. Klipsch are known for their high efficiency meaning it doesn’t take a lot of wattage to drive them. I’ve heard very large Klipsch speakers from the Heritage line that would run you out of the room with a 30 watt tube amp. That’s like 15 watts per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A lot of people here like the Yamaha Aventage AVR's with their Klipsch speakers.  That 2070 has plenty of power for now and should support any upgrades for the foreseeable future.  It sounds like you did your research.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum. @Terry Palmer .

Hello. First off I'm a long time user of klipsch speakers. I have owned over 100 sets of klipsch speakers over the last 35 years. I started with my first pair at the age of 15 with a set of the worst looking k-horns that anyone has seen. But they were free and all I had to do was get them home. That's when my love affair with klipsch and horn type speakers started. Anyway, lol. The great thing about a horn speaker and klipsch is that you can get clean, bone chilling sound with as little as 3 watts. But it's nice to have all the extra power and the headroom. But. This is a large BUT, klipsch will let you hear all the great sounds that you never heard before from your favorite song, now here's the large BUT.. now you will hear the horrible parts of your audio gear that you did I not notice before. Like a piss poor rca cable, the cheap and under sized speaker cables and just how bad your room sucks for audio. To many people look at power ratings, just like a dear frozen looking at headlights. Power is not the key part of a system. But if your using a speaker system that as a sensitivity level of 86 or 88db then you will need more power. This is one of the worst misleading things that audio manufacturers do is say that their power rating is 100 Watts, but what they don't tell you is this 100 Watts is at 1 kHz frequency, witch is the easiest frequency to reproduce. So in the real world you may be only getting 45 watts of clean usable power. So the bottom line is YES. You have more then enough power for your klipsch speakers. Sorry guys for being so long winded. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you, Terry, Comay, wvu80 and Carlthess 40.  I went ahead and ordered the receiver and am glad that it will be enough to power the speakers I mentioned above.  I did listen to the speakers at a local sound room and realized how much I was missing in my life.  Yes, I've spent at least 100 hours in the last two weeks researching, comparing, and learning details about AV technology, speaker technology and even wiring technology that, at first, drove me crazy.  But the more I read, the more interesting it became.  Being an old guy at 63, I am extremely thankful for all the information available in countless AV websites, forums, YouTube videos, etc.  In the old days, such information was hard to come by. Your responses have confirmed that my research time was well worth it.  I can't wait until my speakers, receiver and wire arrive.   If you do not hear from me again, it will most likely be because I will be in eternal nirvana listening to new and old music like I never heard it before.  Thank you again for your time in responding to my question.   

Edited by Fred V
typo
  • Like 1