KP-260

Dave A

Bought four beat up KP-260's recently.They had been exposed to water with crud down into the coil area on the woofers and the metal on the horn drivers corroded. Three crossovers had resistors get so hot the boards were scorched and one had the resistors fried. Another had a capacitor melted into a cute little puddle. Now the amazing thing is they all still played and sounded half way decent. I sent the crossovers off to Crites figuring there could be other problems too and I don't have equipment or skills to check crossovers out.

All four woofers were no good and I decided to use  Eminence Delta Pro 12A in two as recommended elsewhere and also try the Delta Pro 12-450-A. At $109 and $125 each they beat the heck out of $194 Klipsch wanted for KP-42's and all are made by Eminence I believe.

They sound really nice today after all the pieces to the puzzle are assembled. I was thinking they would be like KP-250's but they are far superior to the ones I have had. The Delta Pro 12-450-A's specs dig a little deeper with 44HZ to 4KHZ compared to the 12A at 52HZ to 4.5KHZ. I could not tell by ear much difference between them but the bass in both is very nice and the high notes are very defined also. Placing them in front of the La Scalas it has better perceived separation in my shop environment than the La Scalas do.

Anyone have a chance to do a direct comparison between KP-201's and KP-260's? Curious to know how they stack up since the 201's have such a reputation.

These replacement speakers are slightly larger than the KP-42's were and will require some judicious die grinder work.

• Like 1

It was a good score since I paid $160 for all four. I could afford to experiment with the Eminence replacement speakers and not worry about hurting future resale value because they were not Klipsch pure.  I find I like working on speakers but once done doing that they have to go somewhere. I recently bought a pair of KP-301's and as much as I hate to say it these 260's sound better. It makes me wonder just how badly degraded the caps in my 301's and 250's really are for surely these 260's were not designed to be superior to those. The 301's were supposed to be by all I read commercial Chorus speakers which I really like. These 301's were well taken care of by someone who knows how so the only thing I can figure out is caps. The replacement ones are on the way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave A said:

It was a good score since I paid $160 for all four. I could afford to experiment with the Eminence replacement speakers and not worry about hurting future resale value because they were not Klipsch pure.  I find I like working on speakers but once done doing that they have to go somewhere. I recently bought a pair of KP-301's and as much as I hate to say it these 260's sound better. It makes me wonder just how badly degraded the caps in my 301's and 250's really are for surely these 260's were not designed to be superior to those. The 301's were supposed to be by all I read commercial Chorus speakers which I really like. These 301's were well taken care of by someone who knows how so the only thing I can figure out is caps. The replacement ones are on the way.

Not in their pro stuff but Eminence in other Klipsch products I think. Maybe someone will straighten me out. See you put topic in correct section so, someone will be along. Read the same here somewhere about the Chorus and the KP-301's. Have the Chorus with refreshed crossovers and quite pleased, around a year ago. All sound like keepers to me but. What are you powering the 301's with? Know my Chorus does well with an SS 45 wpc. Maybe the pro version is wanting 100+ watts per channel. Some Klipsch get a decent resale price around Nashville, read here.

Thanks! Never heard the pro versions you are working with.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two amps. One is an Onkyo 8050 and if I try to run the KP-301,260 or 250's off them I have to be careful about bass levels as it will clip. I also have a Crown XLi 800 and it does not have these clipping problems up to louder than I care to play them. The Onkyo will run a pair of KP-480's and pro La Scalas with no issue but the sound is better with the Crown amp. I like the bass treble sound controls on the Onkyo better but if I feed the Crown right even though all it does is amplify the sound quality is better.  I think the extra watt headroom makes a difference and if I replace the Onkyo it will have to be with something far more powerful.

• 6 months later...

Mine were in bad shape. Some of the capacitors were melted and the resistors on three of them were so hot they had scorched the crossover boards and melted solder connections. Water damage where the magnet assembly had corroded and the voice coils were rubbing the accumulated dirt and corrosion. They actually all played and did not sound to bad even in that shape.

• 1 month later...

I have seen this on a lot of the pro stuff.

I am hoping an external crossover and two amps aren’t the only solution.

Curious about this myself, if anyone has the answer I would love to hear it.

Thanks for the help.

If you look on the back of the input cup there should be jumpers in between like terminals Pos to Pos and Neg to Neg and the Pos side will be tied into fuse holders if I remember right. If these are still there it does not matter which of the two sets of plugs you use to feed with and you can feed a second set off one of them. I use one amp all day long to feed two speakers for stereo as long as the jumpers are in place. Post a picture of the back side.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, Jromike said:

Just got a pair of kp-260. They have two speaker inputs, curious how to wire them up.

As stated, either of the inputs will work unless someone has clipped the jumper inside.  If you hook up and both the tweeter and woofer play you're good to go.

• 2 months later...