John Albright

2018 Film Screening

John Albright    287

How about screening one of the old Sensurround films, Like Midway, using Roy's Magic Subwoofers to reproduce the Sensurround effects?  Midway is available on Blu-Ray. 

John Albright    287

For some reason I was researching subwoofers and stumbled onto sketches of the Cervin-Vega Sensurround subs.  I thought well shoot, Roy had done THAT!  I remember going to see Earthquake; there was lots of 120-ish energy, but not as much waay low that you actually feel.  I heard an earthquake once, but mostly I felt it. 

• Like 1

ClaudeJ1    650
On 8/29/2017 at 11:04 AM, John Albright said:

For some reason I was researching subwoofers and stumbled onto sketches of the Cervin-Vega Sensurround subs.  I thought well shoot, Roy had done THAT!  I remember going to see Earthquake; there was lots of 120-ish energy, but not as much waay low that you actually feel.  I heard an earthquake once, but mostly I felt it. 

I bought Earthquake on Blue Ray, and it was dissapointing. Compared to "San Andreas," it's cheesy and the sub bass is lacking. Get San Andreas on BR instead, starring Duane Johnson and one of my favorite Hollywood babes, Carla Gugino!

I remember Gen Czerwinski's "Corner Plug" horn created quite a stir at the time at an AES convention as well as causing structural damage in older theaters!!! LOL.

garyrc    608
On 8/29/2017 at 8:04 AM, John Albright said:

There were different Sensurround set-ups for different theaters, depending on available space, and whether the theater was willing to have seats removed, etc.  All Sensurround speakers were horn loaded Cerwin-Vegas, I think.  Both Earthquake and Midway seemed to have quite a bit of low bass that I could feel -- I'd say 30 Hz and up -- but not more than we can get in our home theater with some modern movies with a lot of LFE, or even with Crystal Clear's recording of Fanfare For The Common Man (timpani, big bass drum, etc.).  Even back then (c. 1974/1976), when someone gave me a recording of an atom bomb blast, I found that it could shake the floor at home (with JBLs) just as much as could Sensurround move the theater floors.   Incredibly, the 6 mag channel, 70mm version of Ben-Hur(1959) beat them all in shaking the concrete floor, with the thunder and suggestion of an earthquake during the crucifixion.

FWIW, when I experienced the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake from 60 miles away in San Francisco, it went through phases 1) A sound like a railroad train roaring toward me from a distance (buildings rattling that were closer and closer to me?) with only a little sound that could be felt 2) The floor rolling, not too bad, with a low rumble 3) A sudden jerk that threw me against the wall, and kept shaking (really more like rolling) with great intensity.  It seemed to go on, and on.  With this, there was a very deep roar (10 Hz to 40 Hz???) that was felt, with the upper part heard.  The total bass SPL was not very loud, though, but the building really rolled, and it made noise, including the expanded metal in the walls screeching like the Bernard Herrmann violin glissandi in Psycho, which blended nicely with the screams of the AOA upstairs.  For the most part, the bass sound was secondary to the rolling.  Perhaps the movie pepole emphasize sound, because they don't have the option of rolling the theater -- yet.  Rolling is a good way to describe it.  A friend was driving down the peninsula and said the roadway was rolling like ocean waves, which is exactly how Mark Twain desctibed the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.  But they were both accomplished liars, so I can't be sure.