The Klipsch Audio Community
wdecho

DAC's

1 hour ago, Schu said:

As far as I know... the only schiit dac that uses a ladder type layout is the yggdrasil. All the other dacs are digital.

Where's the link to this information?

On the website... all dacs besides the yggdrasil are digital chip based. The website isn't completely clear, but that's how it reads. It doesn't even say that the yggdrasil is r2r based... it just says that it's not delta sigma.

Well, the multibit platform is not delta sigma like I believe my current DAC is so I'm expecting good things.  If it doesn't sound any better, I'll say so and return it in the 15 day return window.  I also sent them an e-mail for clarification.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Schu said:

On the website... all dacs besides the yggdrasil are digital chip based. The website isn't completely clear, but that's how it reads. It doesn't even say that the yggdrasil is r2r based... it just says that it's not delta sigma.

Both the yggdraisl and others use chips but the feedback circuits are different. There has to be a chip somewhere in all  DAC devices. Different philosophies on how to implement the chip, chips, in the circuits. Very informative thread. I look forward to Carl's review. Exactly which one did you order Carl?

14 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Well, the multibit platform is not delta sigma like I believe my current DAC is so I'm expecting good things.  If it doesn't sound any better, I'll say so and return it in the 15 day return window.  I also sent them an e-mail for clarification.

Cool... :thumbsup:

All the multibit offerings in Schiit's lineup are based off the same Analog Devices DAC family - just implemented in different bit-depths, quantities, and complexities.  As mentioned above, none of them are delta-sigma DAC based.  I've never heard any of the multibit DACs, so I am interested in hearing your impressions.  

I currently stream Tidal from my via HDMI to an extractor then run optical to my DAC.  I never liked the way the USB input sounded on the DAC.  I'll run the same set up to the Bifrost as it accepts optical for an apples to apples comparison.  If I like what I hear and keep it, eventually I'll see what USB sounds like. 

I don't like the way usb sounds on any dac. I've never been happy with any set up I've tried.

• Like 1