Belle Klipsch..new to me

Sprogk

I've had my Belles for approximately two months. They are gorgeous speakers.

Mine also have the AA crossovers, as did my La Scalas.

I hooked up the same CazTech SE-845 SET monoblock amps I had on the La Scalas and find that the 18 watts/channel is more than enough power to get you removed from your neighbor's Christmas card list. 😉

Same with my 300B SET and EL84 SEP amps. You really just need a few very good watts. 

Good advice given to take your time, get to know how the speakers and room work together and take things from there. 😎

Very nice speakers - I would enjoy them as they are at first as well. For caps I can strongly recommend Cornell Dubilier Type WPP Film/Foil Polypropylene caps - they can be found on ebay - seller is electricslee. Please note that I am in no way connected to the seller - it's only that I have found these caps to be really very, very good - and I use them in all my gear by now.

• Like 1

Very nice speakers - I would enjoy them as they are at first as well. For caps I can strongly recommend Cornell Dubilier Type WPP Film/Foil Polypropylene caps - they can be found on ebay - seller is electricslee. Please note that I am in no way connected to the seller - it's only that I have found these caps to be really very, very good - and I use them in all my gear by now.

Thanks I'll definitely go check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing about those Cornell caps is that most people don't know about them so you mighht not find a lot of evaluation online - but give them a try - they are cheap enough and you might actually save a lot of mony by not having to try other brands, builds etc.

I've had my Belles for approximately two months. They are gorgeous speakers.

Mine also have the AA crossovers, as did my La Scalas.

I hooked up the same CazTech SE-845 SET monoblock amps I had on the La Scalas and find that the 18 watts/channel is more than enough power to get you removed from your neighbor's Christmas card list. [emoji6]

Same with my 300B SET and EL84 SEP amps. You really just need a few very good watts. 

Good advice given to take your time, get to know how the speakers and room work together and take things from there. [emoji41]

I will probably buy the caps and experiment with them later on. They are at least 35 years old and according to Klipsch & everyone here that's all I'll need to replace. So I won't change the crossovers except for the caps.

23 hours ago, Sprogk said:

Who on this forum has heard Luxman? The Luxman 590Axii is about 30W per channel. Perfect but who know what it will sound like....

The Luxman I had (a combo preamp and amp on the same chassis, i.e., an integrated amp, the Luxman L580) sounded smooth and "tube like," and was probably the best sounding solid state amp I ever had.  It lasted for 24 years, then self destructed, cause unknown.  A repair shop declared it to far gone to repair..  I'd be inclined to risk it with a Luxman, though.   What happened to mine was probably a fluke.  It sure sounded good with my Klipschorns.

How big a room do you have?  How loudly do you like to play music?  Klipsch once put out a sheet on power in watts v.s. dB at normal listening distance (rather than at 1 M, where nobody listens).  Interpolating, I find that a single Belle will put out about 112 dB at about 30 watts in a 3,000 cu. ft. room, R=200, with some room left over for instantaneous peaks (Dope from Hope Vol 16, No. 1, January 1977)

My preference would be for a 100 watt amp, but that's probably overkill.

In about 1975, a Klipsch dealer told me that PWK "toned down" the Belle a bit.  That would be about 4 years after it was first marketed.  I don't know if that was done through a crossover change, or something else.  Later yet, they changed the crossovers to 450 Hz between woofer and mid, and changed the mid to tweeter to 4,500 Hz.  That was done with a crossover change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Luxman I had (a combo preamp and amp on the same chassis, i.e., an integrated amp, the Luxman L580) sounded smooth and "tube like," and was probably the best sounding solid state amp I ever had.  It lasted for 24 years, then self destructed, cause unknown.  A repair shop declared it to far gone to repair..  I'd be inclined to risk it with a Luxman, though.   What happened to mine was probably a fluke.  It sure sounded good with my Klipschorns.

How big a room do you have?  How loudly do you like to play music?  Klipsch once put out a sheet on power in watts v.s. dB at normal listening distance (rather than at 1 M, where nobody listens).  Interpolating, I find that a single Belle will put out about 112 dB at about 30 watts in a 3,000 cu. ft. room, R=200, with some room left over for instantaneous peaks (Dope from Hope Vol 16, No. 1, January 1977)

My preference would be for a 100 watt amp, but it that's probably overkill.

In about 1975, a Klipsch dealer told me that PWK "toned down" the Belle a bit.  That would be about 4 years after it was first marketed.  I don't know if that was done through a crossover change, or something else.  Later yet, they changed the crossovers to 450 Hz between woofer and mid, and changed the mid to tweeter to 4,500 Hz.  That was done with a crossover change.

Glad to hear some positive feedback about Luxman. Loudness..its depends. If I'm alone it'll be loud. If I have company it will be at a level where one can still have a conversation.

The luxman 590 ax mkii is actually rated 30W pure class A. From 30-90Wpch it class AB. I think it'll do just fine

Love my Belle's! My first pair had the dreaded AB x over which wasn't worth updating. Had an extra AA that I put new caps in and it sounded great. I agree that is the only thing you NEED to do at this point. If you choose to upgrade at a later date, you will be able to tell if it was worth it. It is a fun process, sit back and enjoy the music. AAx.thumb.jpg.d0b12b37a74c28c1e7f1b4ec2d0e613f.jpg

That is a very early set of AA's.  What year are the Belle's early 70's?  The S/N should be stamped on the back edge if the labels are not present.

Interesting fact: labels are 100% in tact and match the stamped serial number. Called Klipsch and they couldn't tell me when they were manufactured ....who can help me with figuring out what year they were manufactured?

Type: BK-WO. (Belle Klipsch - ?? ??) can anyone clarify?
Serial are OM610 & OM611

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love my Belle's! My first pair had the dreaded AB x over which wasn't worth updating. Had an extra AA that I put new caps in and it sounded great. I agree that is the only thing you NEED to do at this point. If you choose to upgrade at a later date, you will be able to tell if it was worth it. It is a fun process, sit back and enjoy the music. AAx.thumb.jpg.d0b12b37a74c28c1e7f1b4ec2d0e613f.jpg

Looks good. Care to comment on your caps used?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk