Belle Klipsch..new to me

Sprogk

Thanks Drew...they are identical to the originals. I didn't want to tear my original crossovers apart so I just bought new crossovers. It's part of the speaker's history so wanted to keep them original even if I don't use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes good sense. If I keep my Belles, I’ll have to consider buying a replacement set rather than rebuild the old crossovers. In the case of my old amplifiers, it is not possible to replace entire sub assemblies, so I never thought of doing anything but rebuilding crossovers which is what I did with my Hereseys ...

Treating the Walnut with Watco wood oil made your speakers look like new.

Bought from original owner..I don't think they were ever treated/oiled. They were so dry I had to do multiple coats & each time all the oil just got soaked up. I'll take good care of them now.

I was think of getting glass tops with little rubber feet made for them. Anyone have any experience or advice on this? Normal glass? Hardened glass probably better but I can't cut that myself.

23 minutes ago, Sprogk said:

Bought from original owner..I don't think they were ever treated/oiled. They were so dry I had to do multiple coats & each time all the oil just got soaked up. I'll take good care of them now.

I was think of getting glass tops with little rubber feet made for them. Anyone have any experience or advice on this? Normal glass? Hardened glass probably better but I can't cut that myself.

Not good in earthquake country.

All these Belle Klipsch speakers and the Luxman and McIntosh equipment look really nice. It is good to read everyone's thoughts on their audio adventures, and experiences with different components and parts.

From time to time I wonder if I really hear a difference, for instance between the two tube amps I have or if I just believe one sounds better than another because I have read others opinions on the subject.

From the first picture I ever saw of a Belle, it triggered something in me to want to hear them and want to believe they would sound wonderful. At some point over the years I read that the MC225 to many had a unique sound and that it paired well with Belles.

Because of the oddity and chance of eBay, I ended up with 2 MC225s at what I thought was a good deal. I used them in mono with Heresys and believe they sound better than the MC240 that s part of my original McIntosh set inherited from my dad.

This is all a very long way around to saying that I don’t have an efficient way to do true A/B comparisons between my different components, let alone in all the different possible combinations.

Being able to read others opinions of what they like and what other products they have had in the past that has led them to their current gear sets has helped me imagine what might sounds good to me, too. It’s not a foolproof method, but even in a city the size of Houston, there is not a shop that would stock product that would have let me demo every piece I now have together before I acquired it.

It’s great to have a place to share information - to agree or disagree. Some issues are Imperial, but most are subjective. Here’s is a general thanks to everyone who participates, willing to share their personal research and knowledge!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sprogk said:

Yours have turned out so well, I’m inspired to do my 1977 Hereseys - I’ll bet they have not been oiled since the factory. I used Watco Danish oil on one old McIntosh walnut component case and Minwax Tug Oil on another. The finishes are similar but not identical. I’m not sure what the previous owner of my Belles used, but it was something similar.

A good friend friend of mine swore by a combination of 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 white vinegar and 1/3 turpentine as a cleaner and conditioner. It smells bad and works well, but it is not the same as one of the oil finishes ...

3 minutes ago, Marvel said:

It doesn't need to be tempered, just het the edges ground smooth. We did a 1/4 inch top for a trunk we are using for an end table and it works just fine.

Bruce

My experience is the same 1/4” is plenty strong. I’ve done the same and have a just completed a chicken coop coffee table that will get the same ... a thicker piece may look more dramatic though depending on the look you want.

15 hours ago, edwinr1 said:

Wow!  Belles are probably the most beautiful speakers ever made.  I wish I still had mine...

Me too. Not sure what I was thinking.

The bass was so nice and clean. Definately not the 80-90hz reported in this thread.

Whoever bought the russian caps that was a good move. I've been stockpiling them as they really aren't that old and build quality is insane. Great stuff.

Love the Belle pics keep em coming.

• Like 1

Guys, I know I spoil the fun, but after I replaced those Russian PIOs (yes, also MBGOs) in the crossover I noticed that they DO hide details - especially in high frequencies - but I know - YMMV.

Actually I remember a very old thread in which Al K. talked about PIOs (I forget what exactly he had measured but he was no fan of those) and at the time I was too much influenced by what many people were saying - that with horns POIs were the holy grail of caps - well, it took me many years to trust my own ears.

18 hours ago, seti said:

The bass was so nice and clean. Definately not the 80-90hz reported in this thread.

I agree!  Definitely not!

When my Belle was out in the room, there was a little peak at 60 Hz, then a drop.  When I flush mounted it, the - 3 dB point was at 40 Hz.

5 hours ago, garyrc said:

I agree!  Definitely not!

When my Belle was out in the room, there was a little peak at 60 Hz, then a drop.  When I flush mounted it, the - 3 dB point was at 40 Hz.

Mine was in the corners which could explain abit as well.

This is from so long ago lol..... I miss most components of this system except the ugly room.....

Canarys.thumb.JPG.fbd308e9a795dfa0c904b118329bafca.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dubai2000 said:

Guys, I know I spoil the fun, but after I replaced those Russian PIOs (yes, also MBGOs) in the crossover I noticed that they DO hide details - especially in high frequencies - but I know - YMMV.

Actually I remember a very old thread in which Al K. talked about PIOs (I forget what exactly he had measured but he was no fan of those) and at the time I was too much influenced by what many people were saying - that with horns POIs were the holy grail of caps - well, it took me many years to trust my own ears.

I figure for the money, it's worth a try.  I wasn't out a lot of expense for them and I can always sell them off if they don't work right.  I can't really hear much beyond 12 or 13k because of tinnitus and certain frequencies kind of aggravate it more.  These might help with that some; then again, they may not.  If not, I'll go back to my tried and true Solen caps or something similar.  But it's worth a shot.