Hello,

i have puchased a set of Lascala II last weekend. Before i have had Lascala I and now i have the Cornwall's playing in the room.

in another much greater room i have Klipschorn's playing, First i had them in a (too) snall room but i couldn't get the sound right. (Not two good corners)

now i want to play with the Lascala II but i like the bass from te Cornwall

therefore i want to rebuild the bassbin from the Lascala II and make it a direct radiating one like the cornwall. The top of the Lascala II will be left (and used, perhaps another tweeter, the Crites ct120)  as it is.  But i am making a new bass/woofer motherboard and two bassreflex ports underneath the woofer position

furthermore i reuse the existing crossover so the only thing i have to do is rebuild the bass bin.

So in the end i have the very smooth and nice mid and high fronm the Lascala and the deep and very nice bass from the Cornwall.

are there any suggestions that i have to take care for ?

nice regards

Koos (Netherlands)

Why don't you just build a pair of complete cabinets from scratch and not tear up the LS II cabinets?  (or maybe that's your intention)  

Overall, that's called a Cornscala since it's a sealed bass bin and then the mid horn from the LS and Klipschorn being used.  You could just use the parts from the LS II's and save the cabinets somewhere.

• Like 2

Nice work,

Are you also going to use damping material inside the box? And, if so, are you going to use it on al panels (including motherboard?)

In my bassbin i am going to avoid as much as possible to have straigt corners, i want to make them as round or flat as possible because i think that the soundwave is thereby transported much more rapidly to the reflex openings. And we need speed to keep upthe sound beam of the top, i think

keep going.  I think you speakers are becoming awesome good in phisical and technical meaning

I have a lot of experience in building single driver speakers and have learnt a thing or two 

Only damp the front panel where the ports are located 

If you have reverb issues or two much bass you can also damp the sides but no more 

My speakers are completely finished now 

After the satisfactory completion of the bass bin I went onto crossovers 

Now that was a labour of love 

Hi Full Range,

i only make the bassbin a single driver speaker.  So i use the greatest box of the Lascala II and rebuild that to a direct radiated one (like the bass form the Cornwall). .The top of the Lascala i will use as that is. And that top is coming (when everything is finest) again on top of the bassbin.  So i (think) i have the ultimate Cornscala build then.

from the bassbin i remove the horn (trangle) zo i get a square box, then i make a new front motherboard with reflexports (2 ) beneath of beside/down the woofer. I dont know i i also make frames fot teh bassbin (otherwise i order it at Crites (not exactly the same but close)

i am thinking of replace the 77 tweeter for the Crites CT120.  (I have that in my Khorns and that sounds good) but i can always replace that.

thanks for the tip aboud damping.   I will experience a lot but i start only with the motherboard

I strongly agree with the suggestions above to not do this to the La Scala II cabinets.  The suggestion from @avguytx to make a new "Corncsala" cabinet is , In my opinion, the correct one.  That way you do not cannibalize the LS IIs beyond repair.  If you like the Cornscala you could sell the then empty LS II cabinets, which would retain considerable value.  After you go to the great difficulty to remove the horn triangle, all you will have left is firewood.

Somehow, I suspect you will proceed with your doghouseectomies, which is your right, but La Scala lovers everywhere will shed a tear.  Please let us know what you decide to do.

Hello DizRotus

i see your concern (also about desinvestment) about remaining in value. b

But I go further with my project in the way i think its gonna be the best way to make a Cornscala. 2/3 bassbin and  1/3 mid and high in seperate closures.

but anyway. Thanks for your concern.  I will do my best to keep the Klipsch Thought as much as possible in my project but the Lascala lacks bass to much and i dont have space for a subwoofer.

greetings

I believe a direct radiator will never sound as good as a good horn loaded cabinet. You will end up destroying the beautiful bass cabinet in the process and most likely have to build a new cabinet in the process. What you end up with is a box of lesser value, less accuracy and articulation with higher distortion figures.

At the risk of getting my first warning in over 15 years on this forum, this is the stupidest idea I've heard.

Bruce

Hello DizRotus (and others)

Considdering your concern I have looked inside myself (as a true Klipsch admirer) since your reply.

I never had a LaScala II at the end of my stereo equipment so i don;t know what i will miss (or not)

i first will give it (the Lascala II) a honest change to prove if i am wrong about the bass that it can (or cannot) produce in the opposite

of the Cornwall or the Lascala I.  The Cornwall is right now my speakerset

for the Lascala II is a completely new set i must be patience in the beginning i think

i let you (all) know what the result is (for me)

My equipment is. Leak stereo20 tube amplifier and Point one stereo pre, both fully revised as out of  factory), ibook pro with external dsd/dac, cables form Entreq, audirvana player

best regards

Koos 

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

At the risk of getting my first warning in over 15 years on this forum, this is the stupidest idea I've heard.

Ouch Bruce, that's harsh. :o You must be exaggerating a bit.  If you watch TV you must have heard even more stupid ideas.  

Perhaps our Netherlands friend has poor circulation caused by ill-fitting shoes made from remnants of his last speaker project. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Well, it's close to it for me as well.  I cannot imaging tearing apart a pair of LS II's simply to add more bass.  First I would experiment with speaker placement and room configuration, and if no room for a subwoofer, then add some EQ.  Nothing wrong with that.

27 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Why not just add a sub to the LS II's versus starting over.  I'll be adding a sub, or two, onto my Belle's when I get them done, I'm sure.

Agree.  Adding the subs will reinforce the bass sound of the La Scala.

If more mid-bass is needed, here is a Do It Yourself mid-bass module.  I'm not sure if DIYSoundgroup ships overseas but you can send Erich H a note and ask him.  He supports the DIY community 100% and the products on his web site are sold with little or no price mark-up.

If you can't get these shipped to you at least there are some ideas there that can be used.  There are some knowledgeable people you can contact through DIY Soundgroup who will help you at no charge if you have questions.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/midbass-module.html

Read the reviews and see if this isn't exactly what you need.

• Like 1

No kidding.  If I had a pair of LS II's, I'd definitely want to keep them intact.  But doesn't the top hat separate from the lower section?  It only seems logical that "IF" a person is wanting the LS II high section sound but with different bass, you'd just build a pair of bass cabinets and leave the folded horn bin alone.  Then nothing is torn up and ruined.  But that's just me personally.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, avguytx said:

No kidding.  If I had a pair of LS II's, I'd definitely want to keep them intact.  But doesn't the top hat separate from the lower section?  It only seems logical that "IF" a person is wanting the LS II high section sound but with different bass, you'd just build a pair of bass cabinets and leave the folded horn bin alone.  Then nothing is torn up and ruined.  But that's just me personally.

AGREED!

Hello everyone

i see your points and i am very impressed. The more i think about it the more i see you are right and i think that if i

had seen this projectthougts myself on the forum a time ago i probably had react te same as you.

This is what i am going to do:

first i'm  going to listen for a while to the set, as it is brand new it need playtime to give the sound a good change

when i think i still need more bass i can always add a (good and fast ) sub.    

Which is the best (of couse from Klipsch) for adding to the laScala II.   ?

All best regards

Koos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoosKlipsch said:

Hello everyone

i see your points and i am very impressed. The more i think about it the more i see you are right and i think that if i

had seen this projectthougts myself on the forum a time ago i probably had react te same as you.

This is what i am going to do:

first i'm  going to listen for a while to the set, as it is brand new it need playtime to give the sound a good change

when i think i still need more bass i can always add a (good and fast ) sub.    

Which is the best (of couse from Klipsch) for adding to the laScala II.   ?

All best regards

Koos

Koos-

Now you're on the right track.  Your idea to experience the larger La Scala squawker with the Cornwall bass is a good one, just don't ruin a La Scala bass bin in the process.  

There is plenty of free advice available on the Internet, just be careful, it might not be worth what you paid for it.

• Like 1

Koos,

I believe you will like the fully horn loaded bass of the LSII. While it won't play as low as a Cornwall, the bass is more articulate. If you find the mids a little too forward, I belive they can be attenuated (reduced) more, which also makes the bass sound louder.

Bruce