Hello Bruce

i surely will give it a honest try,  icertainly don't want to reduce the mid. I want (a bit) more bass for a more coherent soundimage

i go and look the new heritage subwoofer (if it comes for sale in the Netherlands for a reasonable price

otherwise i look for a  good replacement for that sub

but first, i go listen for several weeks to my new LSII

thanks for the support

the love for Klipsch is (still) great in this forum, glad to be a member 

3 hours ago, KoosKlipsch said:

i certainly don't want to reduce the mid. I want (a bit) more bass for a more coherent soundimage

I only mention dropping the mids, because a lot of folks with the original LaScala felt the bass was lacking and the mids were a bit sharp, giving them a headache. On my crossovers, I lowered the mid output but 3-4 db, which sounds like a lot, but the balance is better. Increasing the volume to get the mids to where they were before, also brought the bass up by the same amount. Great imaging/sound stage and more bass. Still not at much or as low as a sb would provide, but a lot of folks live with them like this.

Enjoy your journey, we are here to help as much as we can.

Bruce

Are there other Klipsch subwoofers  which are compatible with the LS II? The Heritage is 15 inch and i think thats to much for me.( in my room, for sound and space) 

i better look for two 12 or 10 inch ( each side one sub) to add.

which one would then be best, you all think?

best regards

Koos

6 minutes ago, KoosKlipsch said:

Are there other Klipsch subwoofers  which are compatible with the LS II? The Heritage is 15 inch and i think thats to much for me.( in my room, for sound and space) 

i better look for two 12 or 10 inch ( each side one sub) to add.

which one would then be best, you all think?

It's not Klipsch and it probably isn't the best, but the Rythmik F12G blends nicely in my room with my LS II's.  Lots of power and filter/slope/eq options.  Good for 2-channel and movies.  I'd start off with one and add a second if you feel you need to integrate with the room better.

When i don't want to shake the house but i still like een good bass is it  better then to use 2 times a 10 inch woofer (each side one) than one 15 inch?    Or is 12 inch the minimum for a good solid but not house shaing bass?

i don't necessarely need 20 hz.  30 is also good for me (i think) in use with my Lascala II

the rythmic F12G. seems a very nice products but i not get it shipped tot the Netherlands (it seems)

what do you think of the Klipsch reference woofers. 12 or 10 inch ?  Okay to use i should i fix them with more weight (lead or so) ?

Sub woofers are dependent upon so many variables, such as room size, music taste, listening habits, budget, etc., that general advice is nearly impossible.  That said, here goes.

To supplement the bass of a pair of Heresy in a small space, I use four DIY Anarchy Exodus tapped horn subs.  Each sub has a 6.5" driver and is flat to 25hz.  With one sub, the bass integrates well for music, but wall shaking it isn't.  Adding a second sub provides more volume, but does not increase bass extension.  The subjective improvement was noticeable.  Adding two more does provide palpable room vibrating bass, such as the heartbeat from Dark Side Of The Moon.  The improvement is in the strength of the bass, not lower bass.

The foregoing is not meant to persuade you to do likewise, but to illustrate there are many paths to take.  I prefer the benefits of four TH subs with small, but excellent, drivers to one or two larger subs.

On 9/6/2017 at 3:20 AM, KoosKlipsch said:

When i don't want to shake the house but i still like een good bass is it  better then to use 2 times a 10 inch woofer (each side one) than one 15 inch?    

This is the age-old question.  For the same amount of Euros I like a single 15" sub over two smaller ones every time.  I like the chest-thump power of the 15" sub with 500 wpc as it moves a LOT more air than the 10's or 12's.   Ten inch subs typically are matched with 150 wpc amps.

On 9/6/2017 at 3:20 AM, KoosKlipsch said:

Or is 12 inch the minimum for a good solid but not house shaking bass?

My 12" Klipsch sub has a 350 wpc Bash amp and will rattle the pictures on the walls.  B)

Hello everyone.

ik have a question about placement of my new LaScala II.  For getting te maximum result in lower tones, is it then best to put the back against a wall? Imnow have toe them in for around 20 %  towards my listeningposition . They cannot be placed in corners.

thanks again for the suggestions

koos

As you suggest in your question by ruling out corner placement, that would produce the most bass reinforcement.  After corner placement, keeping them close to boundaries, such as floors, walls, or even ceilings, typically reinforces bass.

What all of the foregoing fails to address, is how they sound in your unique space?  Only through experimentation, including measurements if possible, will you arrive at where and how they sound best to you.

I re-read this thread and can answer some of the earlier questions.  I've had LSII's for two years and I've tinkered with them a bit (CT120's) but they are currently stock original. Mine are positioned 2-3 feet away from the corners but against the front wall.  I have them about 9 ft apart (center to center) and sit about 14 ft away from the mouths of the speakers.   For toe-in, they are pointed to cross slightly in front of my listening position.  The room has carpeted floors and 9ft ceilings.  Native bass is present but weak below 100hz or so, and I use a subwoofer to augment bass below this point.

I'm sure you found about 1000 posts on LaScala positioning.  Everybody's tastes and listening rooms are different, but as a generic starting point, make a triangle with the speakers pointed at your listening position, and spaced wide apart about 70% as the distance to your listening position.  So if you sit 10 ft from the front of your speakers, make them 7ft apart center-to-center.  This should get you in the ballpark.  Adjust spacing and toe-in from there to your liking.

BTW- the LSII grills are just held on by magnets.  Stick a credit card between the bottom center of the grill and the wood frame and pry it out.

The only tweaks I currently have in place are 1) a piece of 1/2" thick open-cell foam on the backside of the grill in front of the right tweeter because it natively runs about 2db hotter than the left, and 2) a 2" strip of felt tape neatly placed around the outside of both squawker horn mouths to smooth out the transition area where they attach to the motor board - the tape covers the last 1.5" of horn mouth folded over 1/2" on the face of the motor board.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I re-read this thread and can answer some of the earlier questions.  I've had LSII's for two years and I've tinkered with them a bit (CT120's) but they are currently stock original. Mine are positioned 2-3 feet away from the corners but against the front wall.  I have them about 9 ft apart (center to center) and sit about 14 ft away from the mouths of the speakers.   For toe-in, they are pointed to cross slightly in front of my listening position.  The room has carpeted floors and 9ft ceilings.  Native bass is present but weak below 100hz or so, and I use a subwoofer to augment bass below this point.

I'm sure you found about 1000 posts on LaScala positioning.  Everybody's tastes and listening rooms are different, but as a generic starting point, make a triangle with the speakers pointed at your listening position, and spaced wide apart about 70% as the distance to your listening position.  So if you sit 10 ft from the front of your speakers, make them 7ft apart center-to-center.  This should get you in the ballpark.  Adjust spacing and toe-in from there to your liking.

BTW- the LSII grills are just held on by magnets.  Stick a credit card between the bottom center of the grill and the wood frame and pry it out.

The only tweaks I currently have in place are 1) a piece of 1/2" thick open-cell foam on the backside of the grill in front of the right tweeter because it natively runs about 2db hotter than the left, and 2) a 2" strip of felt tape neatly placed around the outside of both squawker horn mouths to smooth out the transition area where they attach to the motor board - the tape covers the last 1.5" of horn mouth folded over 1/2" on the face of the motor board.

Hope this helps.

Hi pbphoto

thanks, that really will help, i am going to start with the position you mentioned and see what it brings.

is your Rythmic f12g fast enough for the LaScala ?  They are very pricy i saw (i would like to use 2 subs, one on every side) and not for sale in the Netherlands (or Europe)

are there other subs (not horn ones because i cannot place them) that are fast enough you think/lnow?