Mixing Reference and Reference Premiere

krackedude

My current setup is two R-26F's, two SVS PB-1000's, and a Pioneer VSX-1130. 

I am debating on upgrading the R-26F's to the RP-260F's and I was wondering if the R-26F's would sound alright as surrounds.

I have enough room to have both pairs of towers about equal distance from the listening position but I don't have the option of elevating the R-26F's.

Eventually I plan on getting a center channel to match whatever towers I decide on (either R-25C or RP-440C).

I don't have any issue with the R-26F's, but i have read so many people recommend the reference premiere line over the reference line that it has convinced me to consider upgrading. 

I can listen to the RP-260F's at a nearby London Drugs and I plan to do so soon!

Would there be any concerns with having mismatching surrounds and mains?

Thanks for any advice!

I did the something similar.  I ended up getting the RP280F's for the fronts, and the 450C for the center, and moved my R28F to the rear as surround speakers.  So far it sounds great.  I don't know if the sound would improve should I change out the R28F to the RP line, but right now the $$$ vs Quality ratio doesn't make sense to me since I already own the R28F.  However I haven't heard the difference, so I can't say for sure, but for the size of my room, I really don't think it will make a difference.

• 1 year later...

HI, I need expert advice, please!!!

I bought 4 R-820F thinking to place them 2 in the front and two as rear speakers. I also bought an RP-440C as a center speaker. 

I bought all this because of an insane opportunity... "very cheap" 

Now I am reading that it is not a good idea to match R with RP?

Would my configuration of the R-820F with the RP-440C sound bad? shall I return the RP-440C to get an R speaker as a center instead?

Thank you so much for all the help and support 

• 2 years later...

I would love to hear more thoughts about this. I have the r820f towers and r120sw sub. I would like to get the premiere line to add as center and/or rear speakers for a 5.1 system. Sales person at Bestbuy said don't do it. What do all of you think?