Cornscala VS La Scala

Dave A

I have all the pieces of the puzzle including an AA crossover, k400 horns k55 drivers K33 woofers and K77 tweeters. I have already had some recommendations to change the tweeters to an Eminence ASD1001 and get the ALK Universal Cornscala crossover. What I am listening to now is a pair of La Scala industrials sitting on top of a pair of KP-480's. For those of you who have built Cornscalas and had La Scalas too I would like to know if the Cornscalas will sound as good as the La Scalas and provide the bass needed to do away with the need for sub woofers. I respect the genius of Klipsch and lean towards using all the original components I have and just changing the cabinet so the parts sit in to a two piece with a bass bin and separate horn assembly. The proposed bass bin would be modeled after the Cornwall cabinet with 5.8 CF a 9.25 shelf and 50 CI open area for the rectangular ports. So before I embark on this I want to know it is a worth while project and not just another attempt by someone doomed to less making less than what I have right now. I would like to hear from those who have actually done this and have had the capability of both to compare side by side.

Please keep in mind I am not throwing money into super high dollar crossovers. I am satisfied with the Crites Sonicap kit I installed in my La Scalas AA crossover. Maybe it is ignorance since I have not heard anything with these high dollar deals in them but at the age of 63 with less than best hearing I am not so sure it matters.  Perhaps it is best to strive for very good I can enjoy as compared to some "special" audiophile type doo dah I can't hear the difference in anyway. The Alk Cornscla Universal does not fall into the overpriced category for me by the way if using it really does make a difference.

The cornscala came about from some guys that loved the la scala but wanted [ needed] more bass. So came the cornscala. It has the great low end of the Cornwall with the spectacular mids and highs of the horn speaker. Aka la scala
Bob C has the plans for a 3 way and a great 2 way and all the drivers and the most important part. The crossovers. He even sales the motor board for any of the 3 or 4 designs for the cornscala. Well worth buying his motor board. Go to his website and look them up and you will find real world and instrument specifications and reviews and the way and how's of these speakers that Mr. P. Klipsch never got around to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

The cornscala came about from some guys that loved the la scala but wanted [ needed] more bass. So came the cornscala. It has the great low end of the Cornwall with the spectacular mids and highs of the horn speaker. Aka la scala
Bob C has the plans for a 3 way and a great 2 way and all the drivers and the most important part. The crossovers. He even sales the motor board for any of the 3 or 4 designs for the cornscala. Well worth buying his motor board. Go to his website and look them up and you will find real world and instrument specifications and reviews and the way and how's of these speakers that Mr. P. Klipsch never got around to make.

Not exactly.  Search "let's build a test box" started by Bob Crites. 

• Like 1

Part of the charm of the La Scala is the precision of the horn loaded bass.  It is true that the bass rolls off below abut 50 or 60 Hz, but it is CLEAN and TIGHT!  I'd bet that a good subwoofer, crossed over at about 60 Hz and a La Scala would preserve the La Scala's clean mid bass attack and the extension of the sub's deep bass would be a better combination than is  found in a Cornscala.  This might be especially true with a horn loaded sub.

• Like 1

The 480's are decent subs if given enough power but they don't go much lower than the La Scala's, if I were you I'd probably try different sub options before going through the work of building new cabinets unless its something you just want to do. 

Hey Justin it was a typo on my part and should have read ASD not SD. For some reason as I type this what I remember in talking to you was the Universal but looking at my notes it was the Cornscalla Universal. It was a long day when I typed all that. I am listening to you but what I would really like is for direct first person comparisons. I take it you have done this? If so what exactly were the improvements in the bass area. Refresh my memory if we did discuss this as I may not have jotted that down in my notes.

14 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

The 480's are decent subs if given enough power but they don't go much lower than the La Scala's, if I were you I'd probably try different sub options before going through the work of building new cabinets unless its something you just want to do. 

Part of my reasoning to build  is to reduce the shear size of the speakers. Part of my reason is because I want to. Whatever I do though i want it to be a significant improvement or it serves no purpose but size reduction which is nice but not enough.

Cornwalls are roughly the same height and width as the La Scala's aren't they? You'd be saving about a foot of depth except with the k-400 horn on top the speaker will need the same amount of room depth wise so not really saving much space at all? Have you tried dialing back the horns a db or 2? I've read that helps bring out the bass at bit more.

I can understand that would be a great project. I sometimes look for upgrade projects because it's enjoyable & keep us busy....but wanted to mention that I read that Klipsch is bringing out a heritage subwoofer. Any know more about this? That'll solve the "lower end bass required " problem.

45 minutes ago, Sprogk said:

I can understand that would be a great project. I sometimes look for upgrade projects because it's enjoyable & keep us busy....but wanted to mention that I read that Klipsch is bringing out a heritage subwoofer. Any know more about this? That'll solve the "lower end bass required " problem.

Horn loaded mains need horn loaded subwoofers, its never going to sound right without it. Don't waste your money on anything else unless you just like to waste it.

• Like 1

Horn loaded mains need horn loaded subwoofers, its never going to sound right without it. Don't waste your money on anything else unless you just like to waste it.

I understand. Please explain why so many want the Cornwall low end then? That's not folded horn woofer design...
Note: I am new to heritage speakers with folded woofer designs.....this is an honest question.

16 minutes ago, Sprogk said:

I understand. Please explain why so many want the Cornwall low end then? That's not folded horn woofer design...
Note: I am new to heritage speakers with folded woofer designs.....this is an honest question.

Might be price, size, ease of construction, personally I'm not a fan of the Cornwall though i still have a set of Chorus II.

If you spend much time listening to horn loaded bass its easy to pick up the weaknesses of direct radiating types, its always the weak spot of any system in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Sprogk said:

I'll take a stab at this...It may not be that they want the specific Cornwall low end, having heard Cornwalls, and then having heard LS, they just want more of a lower end with La Scalas.  I'm sure this will get me flamed, but personally to me the whole Cornscala thing is way over blown and over complicated.  Adding a good horn loaded sub as Jason pointed out above, is (to me) really the ideal "solution"....if you want to call it that.  I do not use a sub, and I don't miss a sub.  I use EQ if I need it, but most of the time, I don't.  I love the pure La Scala sound.

• Like 1

Dave. No worries. I was just saying I chimed in with my 2 cents.  Prob no need to recount it. 

Regarding cab size. 5.8-6.2 cu ft. Most stay true to the 2dt cubed.  When I have shrunk the cab a bit I have found the 15C woofer to be more responsive/tighter bass. 

Re bass. The LS bass is fast, tight and large but lacks the visceral response the CW has, at least to me.  The CW in practical terms goes ~15hz deeper.  As the LS begins to die at 60hz and the CW at 45hz. 

As Dave is a wiz in CAD I'd also suggest building an Edgar horn/ get a fastrac horn and put in all into 1 cab the size of a Cornwall.  You'll have a speaker significantly smaller than a LS with deeper bass. 

I've had la scalas and I've had 2 different Cornscalas.

I would have Cornscalas any day over a la scala if the goal was only one stereo amp w/o integration of a sub.

Granted, the la scala is one of my favorite speakers from Klipsch and has one of the best imaging/3D experiences.