RF7 Static Noise?

Therearemany

Hello! 

I recently bought a pair of RF7s and hooked them up to my old Yamaha receiver with some ten year old 16-gauge cables just to see how they would sound. Unfortunately there is a really loud static noise (audible from a distance) that is also likely distorting the audio making it not very clear. Is this an issue with the receiver, cable or a poor connection setup? The receiver was connected to my very old and cheap klipsch speakers in a different room which sounded quite clear just a few days ago. I seriously hope it's a setup issue and not the new speakers. 

Thanks!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  The best way I have found to get to the root of the problem is the good ole method of process of elimination. 

If you have another pair of speakers, can you connect them to the same receiver, cables etc as the RF-7 are connected to?  If the sound is heard through the other Klipsch speakers, you know the issue is not with the RF-7's.  Try and eliminate one element at a time until you get to the point of that element being the culprit.

11 hours ago, Youthman said:

Welcome to the forums.  The best way I have found to get to the root of the problem is the good ole method of process of elimination. 

If you have another pair of speakers, can you connect them to the same receiver, cables etc as the RF-7 are connected to?  If the sound is heard through the other Klipsch speakers, you know the issue is not with the RF-7's.  Try and eliminate one element at a time until you get to the point of that element being the culprit.

Thanks for the help! Seems like my other speakers are having the same problem but at different levels. The static is loudest on my RF7 and lowest on my bookshelf speakers. Possibly banana plugs and new wiring might be the solution?

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Therearemany said:

Seems like my other speakers are having the same problem but at different levels. The static is loudest on my RF7 and lowest on my bookshelf speakers.

The RF-7's likely have a higher sensitivity rating (see the specs on each speaker) so they will be louder than the bookshelf speakers at the same volume.