KG 4.5 vs Quartet advice

DVDMike

Before I go to the trouble to move heavy speakers around and ruin my back for a week, I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion on these two speaker models.

I'm currently using kg4.5's as my front main speakers in an Atmos 7.3.4 setup.  They are each placed on top of a sub and they are really quite high.  I've always liked their bass response but sometimes they can sound a bit shrill.  However, the audessey eq in my amp does a good job in balancing the sound well.

I have a beautiful pair of oak quartets sitting unused in a spare room.  Although they have a slightly larger footprint, they aren't bigger than the subs they'd sit on top of.  They are shorter however.  And as such I think they might look better in the room.

But how does the sound compare between the kg4.5 and the quartets?  Low bass is not an issue since there are three subs in this room, a 15", 12", and 10".  Efficiency is a bit of a consideration.  But mainly should the three way quartets have better sound than the two way 4.5's?

I haven't heard the 4.5, but I have heard the 4.2, which is very similar with a passive radiator instead of the port. I'd give the win to the Quartets. To me they have a much tighter sound, and better midrange. They are one of my favorites and I regret selling mine.

• Like 1

Well, I decided to try get the quartets upstairs and try them out.  I put the quartets as the front mains and the kg4.5 in the surround back (replacing kg 2's). 

I did some testing, 2 and 7 channels, with only the right channels switched to the new configuration.  I think the kg 4.5 are louder.  I also think the are more crisp at the high end, which is something I like.  They are also punchier in the low end.  But the quartets are better in the mid range.  

My reference source used were a here a a few full but rate MP3s and mostly the sacd of Jeff Becks Blow by Blow album using both the two channel and 5 channel mixes.  I haven't recalibrated the audyssey multEQ XT32 yet.  So I did tests with it off, flat and reference (to the old configuration) and I tested some with and without the subs.  Presumably, the sound will only get better after recalibration.

Using sacd 5.1 mix in 5.3 playback mode it sounds great.  Playing it back in 7.3.4 using the multi in + neural:X mode to all 11 speakers is of course mind blowing, especially with 5.1 dsd source material.  However it's a bit too rear centric without compensation for the efficiencies of the new speaker arrangement.  I can easily adjust this manually of course.

When playing the source material without any audyssey equalization, the sound is pretty flat.  But even two channel music sounds really quite good with the reference eq running.  And the two channel has a bit more punch but not quite the depth of multi channel playback of two channel source material.

i think the shorter height of the quartets (placed atop of the corner subs) are better for my room.  But the oak cabinets don't really go as well from a design perspective in my sun room.  The taller kg4.5's are really the perfect height for my surround back.  I had the kg2's on stands.  I'd prefer the the kg4.5's to be the surround speakers but the side windows and furniture placement negate this option.  Instead, I have two Elac B5's mounted on the wall above the side windows as the surround speakers.

before I take the time to recalibrate, I'm going to do more auditioning with differing source material.

Edited by DVDMike
Clarified

I'm not sure if I should start another post.  But I have a question about the quartet speakers.  I've got oak.  Is the oak simply a veneer over plywood?  Is the plywood furniture grade?  The honey oak doesn't go with my room well.  A dark walnut finish would though.  Could I remove the veneer (if that's what it is) and stain what's underneath and it look good?  Or what are my options for refinishing for someone who is not a skilled craftsmen?

I would try a fine steel wool on them to cut any crut off then use a tack cloth to get up any steel wool particles.  Pick a stain that you like and stain over old stain. I would be careful using any sand paper on the veneer unless you sand down to mdf which personal I would not do. Any scratches from sanding on the veneer will show, does not matter  if you paint or stain. If you stain a dark color it will be hard to get out, usually will have to sand and steel wool to get out.

Home depot sells oak strips you could buy to test different stains. Buy one small can of stain similar to the quatets and 1kind of new color stain you like. 

Or like above paint black, the paint can be stripped later if you like but will leave the oak grain slightly highlighted. (Not a bad thing imo). If you paint speakers they can be returned to golden stain finish if wanted.

Personal I would paint, would be easier to return a more normal oak stain if you wish.

Agree on Ti upgrade.

• Like 1

If I read you post correct you have the the quartets on top of your Subs? If so I would take them down and set quartets on the floor and experiment with different speaker angles depth from wall. You might be able to get a better sound from them and they should be more at ear level. I would try and get the mains quartets set up first then place the sub/subs for best sound.

placement is key with the Quartets and their rear passive which is used to extend bass...having owned both of these...if they are both up, running as they should, the Quartets should handily beat the KG 4.5s...unless you find the Klipsch 3 way sound not to your liking...

One thing that really wakes either of these up is BEC (Bob Crites) Titanium tweeter modifications in either of these speakers...crossovers too but only if needed.

My Quartets beat the KG 5.5s that were in my smaller HT set upping a bit more efficient; 97.5 vs 95...but the bass could dig lower with the KG's; 36dB vs 38dB for the Quartets...

Good luck with your choice,

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the suggestions!  Great advice.  The room doesn't reall have much wall space with all of the opsnings, windows, and doors.  It's  just not practical to put 15" subs in any other places but where they are.  They already stand out too much and I'm think of a way to cover them so they blend in more.  So getting the quartets to the floor just isn't practical either.

ive already been in touch with Bob Crites and he suggested replacing the tweeters. He also suggested replacing the crossover system in it's entirety as they are original.  There is no way to know if they are bad or not but he said time is their enemy.  And they are way over 20 years old. I'm not really enthused about spending that kind of money on these speakers, especially when I'm talking about stripping them and painting and or staining.  It's going to cost $325 for the crites upgrades suggested.  So the question is if this would be money better spent on new speakers entirely?

if I keep the quartets, I think I'm going to try to sand with steel wool and paint over.  My KG4.5 were matte black and this is basically what I did with them and they blended in well with the room.  Some wood grain shows through and I think that is a good look.  Instead of painting dark like I would if I were staining them, I'm going to pain them a color that better goes with the walls, the same color I used for the kg4.5's which are now in the the back of the room being used as surround rears.

i guess my only question remaining is if the crossovers are really necessary or not?  Thanks again to everyone who weighed in and offered good advice.

the tweeters Bob talks about are the tweeter diaphragms to Titanium...well under $100 and you will appreciate the difference...you can do the crossovers later unless there is something wrong with them...

Quartets were about $1100 plus when new and are almost Forte lls...I think they are worth it but you'll have to decide for yourself...

The Titanium tweeter diaphragms can be replaced quite easily even from someone like me who cannot solder or do much else electronically...I enjoyed that upgrade for a while before doing the crossover upgrades:  Yes, time is the enemy...

Good luck wit your choice...

Bill