How many of you have no plans to get Atmos/DTS:X?

Kain

Just now, supercooldude said:

I just looked (on Klipsch) and I am not sure what the ref IVs are, BUT how much per pair are we talking (new)? $199? $249? Just curious.

I wont be able to put the front heights in front of the main L and R but I can put them above and "outside" of them.  Make sense?  They would be above and maybe an inch or two completely on the outside of them.

But I do like how you think, and I am really REALLY tempted to do this....

Oh yeah, they are outside of the mains mounted to the sidewall. My mains are maybe 18" angled in from the sidewall. I was just referenced front to back in the room, the front height are closer to the listener than the mains, but that is just because of my room and where i had to move them forward a little bit. Ideally they would be flush. 

I think the RB-61's I found were like $200 and the RB-51's were $150. It is just the series of speaker. I own all Ref IV gear, RF-83, RC-64, RS-52. The next series that came out in the reference line was Ref II, which was RF-7, etc. It is just a preference thing for me. I don't think it matters if you mix and match different series of reference gear as the specs are pretty much the same since they launched them.

I am really happy with it. It sounds fantastic to my ear.

21 minutes ago, holtrp said:

Oh yeah, they are outside of the mains mounted to the sidewall. My mains are maybe 18" angled in from the sidewall. I was just referenced front to back in the room, the front height are closer to the listener than the mains, but that is just because of my room and where i had to move them forward a little bit. Ideally they would be flush. 

I think the RB-61's I found were like $200 and the RB-51's were $150. It is just the series of speaker. I own all Ref IV gear, RF-83, RC-64, RS-52. The next series that came out in the reference line was Ref II, which was RF-7, etc. It is just a preference thing for me. I don't think it matters if you mix and match different series of reference gear as the specs are pretty much the same since they launched them.

Thats funny because I have RF-83, RC-64 and the 4 surrounds are RP 250s

Now riddle me this batman, Those mounts you used for the bookshelves, do they have similar ones that would mount to the ceiling?  Of course I will look after I send this...but in case you knew for sure....

36 minutes ago, holtrp said:

You think the R-15M would cut it?  Sorry OP this is really saving my life over here lol

I specifically built my theater for 7.2.4 atmos. Never had a theater or multichannel prior to that so I don't have a point of reference except for movie theaters. I saw The Force Awakens in atmos at a local theater and was underwhelmed. The theater was full and the sound seemed low overall.

The first movie I saw in my room was Gravity. There is a scene where Sandra Bullock is clicking a toggle switch. At first I thought one of my speakers was rattling overhead. It took a few seconds to recognize the atmos code being sent overhead. Really cool.

Roger Waters The Wall is great too!

i have LCR behind my screen, 2 side, 2 rear, and 4 in ceiling speakers. Atmos isn't sending full signal right? Object based doesn't need to be full range right?

My biggest complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a corresponding release of atmos titles on blu-ray. 

EDIT: I'm running an Anthem MRX 1120.

20 hours ago, supercooldude said:

You think the R-15M would cut it?  Sorry OP this is really saving my life over here lol

Sorry, been busy today.

Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't.

It is tough to find from within the klipsch website, but you can google RB-51 and it should take you to the archived page which has spec sheets where you could compare frequency response and specs with the newer stuff. I highly doubt the R-15M is vastly different from the RB-51 or RB-51II.

I do remember seeing some ceiling mounts but it might not have been at Parts Express. Check Monoprice, pretty sure they will have something if PE doesn't Just be careful to not exceed the weight rating and get your lag bolts / screws into a solid stud. My bookshelves aren't super heavy, but I know the RB-61 was less than 5lbs under the weight limitation when I was still researching what I wanted to do. 

1 hour ago, holtrp said:

Sorry, been busy today.

Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't.

It is tough to find from within the klipsch website, but you can google RB-51 and it should take you to the archived page which has spec sheets where you could compare frequency response and specs with the newer stuff. I highly doubt the R-15M is vastly different from the RB-51 or RB-51II.

I do remember seeing some ceiling mounts but it might not have been at Parts Express. Check Monoprice, pretty sure they will have something if PE doesn't Just be careful to not exceed the weight rating and get your lag bolts / screws into a solid stud. My bookshelves aren't super heavy, but I know the RB-61 was less than 5lbs under the weight limitation when I was still researching what I wanted to do. 

Ok, I am going to start sniffing around and see what I can find...I am still unsure if I am going to go Atmos or not! Lol, but this THIS is a great idea and should work perfectly for my room!

16 hours ago, supercooldude said:

Ok, I am going to start sniffing around and see what I can find...I am still unsure if I am going to go Atmos or not! Lol, but this THIS is a great idea and should work perfectly for my room!

Personally, even with the lack of Atmos content available right now, it sill makes a meaningful difference in overall performance in my setup and I am glad I did it. And it is just a matter of time in that regard until more soundtracks, video game, etc start coming with 'object based audio'. 

4 minutes ago, holtrp said:

Personally, even with the lack of Atmos content available right now, it sill makes a meaningful difference in overall performance in my setup and I am glad I did it.

I have a lot of content on disk and one of the things I've read is that the new Dolby Surround on Atmos works really well. I was an early adapter to Dolby PLIIz using heights and rears and pretty much don't change that setting for Movies, Multichannel DVD-As, SACDs or concerts so that would be feature I am interested in. 

6 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Latest fall fashion and I am a jeans and t shirt kind of guy. 

If my Denon AVR 5800 ever quits working then maybe, but it will be out of style by then. 

I was in the same boat as you when my AVR-4802R bit the dust in a lightening storm....Then the AVR-4806 developed issues in the processor.....After a solid five more years with the AVR-4311ci I am still good to go, but have no plans to replace my speakers--Only add a couple more if I am forced to purchase another AVR, and as mentioned plan on going the Atmos route. ;)