How many of you have no plans to get Atmos/DTS:X?

Kain

I know you are asking for people who aren't interested, but I feel like you wouldn't get the full picture. I love my atmos/dts:x 7.3.4 setup in my house. 7.1 is a step up from 5.1, but not a huge step. Atmos is another step up, and depending on the movie, can be a tiny step up, or a huge step up. Roger Waters: The Wall on Blu-ray is amazing in atmos! 

I've only had my 7.1.4 atmos up and running for about a month. Only watched maybe 2 blurays with actual atmos encoding, but played a ton of games, streamed shows and movies. I haven't even run room correction yet or level matched my subs to the new pre pro and speakers. 

I am definitely more impressed with Atmos than I was from the jump from 5.1 to 7.1 which I still struggle to notice a difference with. Atmos is much more immersive than 5.1 or 7.1 and it isn't just a gimmicky thing like "WOW! Did you hear that? The sound came all around but from the ceiling! And then it circled those 4 speakers!"

To be sure, watch any atmos demo and you're sure to see the most gimmicky gimmicks it has to offer, like the tropical rain forest with the howler monkey coming from the front right height speaker and the birds and wind circling around the room. What I have noticed the most out of Atmos is just how wider and taller the sound stage is now in my room with not only atmos content but with all content. You really feel surrounded by sound and everything is more immersive. I am glad I went with full bookshelf reference speakers opposed to in ceiling or up firing too. I am sorry, but I just can't buy that you will ever get decent sound bouncing it off the ceiling or trying to install what are essentially car stereo speakers in the ceiling without a real enclosure and then aiming them straight down at the floor. Not that you can't get good theater sound out of it, but I would still recommend bookshelves over in ceiling or up firing if you can swing it. 

• Like 2

I went from 6.4 to 5.4 in my new house and and already have the Den looking like a dorm room.  There was so little programming for 7.x, I saw no point.  Atmos will have to get a LOT more popular before I'd consider it.  With Sound Bars being popular, I don't expect Atmos to do better than Betamax. 

3 hours ago, holtrp said:

I've only had my 7.1.4 atmos up and running for about a month. Only watched maybe 2 blurays with actual atmos encoding, but played a ton of games, streamed shows and movies. I haven't even run room correction yet or level matched my subs to the new pre pro and speakers. 

I am definitely more impressed with Atmos than I was from the jump from 5.1 to 7.1 which I still struggle to notice a difference with. Atmos is much more immersive than 5.1 or 7.1 and it isn't just a gimmicky thing like "WOW! Did you hear that? The sound came all around but from the ceiling! And then it circled those 4 speakers!"

To be sure, watch any atmos demo and you're sure to see the most gimmicky gimmicks it has to offer, like the tropical rain forest with the howler monkey coming from the front right height speaker and the birds and wind circling around the room. What I have noticed the most out of Atmos is just how wider and taller the sound stage is now in my room with not only atmos content but with all content. You really feel surrounded by sound and everything is more immersive. I am glad I went with full bookshelf reference speakers opposed to in ceiling or up firing too. I am sorry, but I just can't buy that you will ever get decent sound bouncing it off the ceiling or trying to install what are essentially car stereo speakers in the ceiling without a real enclosure and then aiming them straight down at the floor. Not that you can't get good theater sound out of it, but I would still recommend bookshelves over in ceiling or up firing if you can swing it. 

Hey I have been thinking about going dolby atmos but my ceilings are kinda low 7.5' so its kinda hard to get the up firing speakers without putting them in really weird spots.  And I do worry about in ceiling speakers that will sound too bright/hot/piercing.

Could you please show me how you have the book shelf heights set up?  Thanks so much!

No hurry either..... Got everything I need....Amp .....Anthem Avm 60...( never bought speakers)....Just can't bring myself to cut holes in my ceiling....had a chance to hear Atmos on 2 occasions ....... to me it wasn't a game changer...... To me the hole movie thing is kind of messed up......Atmos....DTS-X  ....4K (but is it really 4K)...one never knows.

Don't get me wrong I still love watching  and collecting movies....running 7.1 for know...5.1 in the other room....Did buy a 4k TV a while back ....I've seen exactly 1 4k movie.

George

9 minutes ago, supercooldude said:

Hey I have been thinking about going dolby atmos but my ceilings are kinda low 7.5' so its kinda hard to get the up firing speakers without putting them in really weird spots.  And I do worry about in ceiling speakers that will sound too bright/hot/piercing.

Could you please show me how you have the book shelf heights set up?  Thanks so much!

Yeah, I am out of town right now and I don't have any pictures with me.

Same problem though. 9' ceilings in the front of the room but only 7.5' in the rear as they get shorter with a heating duct over head. Plus, I had ceiling speakers in my last home for rear surround for a while so I know what they sound like. They were in a coffered ceiling and they were fine, they make noise, but they are no match for a bookshelf that can be pointed towards you. 

So, I got on the forums and the ebay, found two pairs of reasonably priced ref IV bookshelves and grabbed a pair of these mounts from PE https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-shadow-mount-swmhd-heavy-duty-adjustable-speaker-wall-mount-pair--182-3300?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Front height are on the side walls approx ~1' forward of the main L / R channel with the top of the speaker maybe 6" from touching the ceiling.  Rear height are as close to the corners as I can get them on the rear and side wall (door) in the same configuration with about 6" of room between the ceiling and top of the speaker.

4 minutes ago, holtrp said:

Yeah, I am out of town right now and I don't have any pictures with me.

Same problem though. 9' ceilings in the front of the room but only 7.5' in the rear as they get shorter with a heating duct over head. Plus, I had ceiling speakers in my last home for rear surround for a while so I know what they sound like. They were in a coffered ceiling and they were fine, they make noise, but they are no match for a bookshelf that can be pointed towards you. 

So, I got on the forums and the ebay, found two pairs of reasonably priced ref IV bookshelves and grabbed a pair of these mounts from PE https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-shadow-mount-swmhd-heavy-duty-adjustable-speaker-wall-mount-pair--182-3300?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Front height are on the side walls approx ~1' forward of the main L / R channel with the top of the speaker maybe 6" from touching the ceiling.  Rear height are as close to the corners as I can get them on the rear and side wall (door) in the same configuration with about 6" of room between the ceiling and top of the speaker.

I just looked (on Klipsch) and I am not sure what the ref IVs are, BUT how much per pair are we talking (new)? $199? $249? Just curious.

I wont be able to put the front heights in front of the main L and R but I can put them above and "outside" of them.  Make sense?  They would be above and maybe an inch or two completely on the outside of them.

But I do like how you think, and I am really REALLY tempted to do this....

32 minutes ago, oldred said:

No hurry either..... Got everything I need....Amp .....Anthem Avm 60...( never bought speakers)....Just can't bring myself to cut holes in my ceiling....had a chance to hear Atmos on 2 occasions ....... to me it wasn't a game changer...... To me the hole movie thing is kind of messed up......Atmos....DTS-X  ....4K (but is it really 4K)...one never knows.

Don't get me wrong I still love watching  and collecting movies....running 7.1 for know...5.1 in the other room....Did buy a 4k TV a while back ....I've seen exactly 1 4k movie.

George

I am torn on upgrading to 4k.

First of all, true 4k projectors are stupidly expensive still. I am not completely sold on 'faux k' pixel shifting as it feels like sort of 720p or 1080i all over again (not true HD). Then there is the content side. Redbox and Netflix put all the video stores out of business. UHD blu ray movies when you can find them run $30 each. I guess there is a net service that rents them out to people? 4k isn't really here just yet as far as streaming / games and broadcast. I am thinking about giving it a few more years until prices come down and content is more widely available. 

5.1 is plenty for me.  Even with 5.1, the surrounds are under used.  I'm guessing that would not be true if I were a fan of "Action Movies," but I'm not, usually.   If the movie people used natural musical reverberation as well as some of the people recording multi-channel  SACDs, I might change my mind.